[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Porsche 914-6 build 3

Porsche 914-6 build 3

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Porsche 914-6 build 3

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

My first two look and run so good that I couldn't pass up the availability of the more comprehensive SRC 914-6 body kit with painted body, windows, complete interior tray with driver, photo etch parts and light lenses.

Modified the interior tray by removing the engine detail (can't be seen anyways) and floor area with seats to clear my standard adjust-o-wheelbase chassis.

Chassis parts gathered and ready to be assembled.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Porsche 914-6 build 3

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 am

This will be an interesting one to watch. Can you get a sidewinder pod into that car?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 am

You can but that will be very tight and skinny tires. I have same body so that will be interesting for me to watch.
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 am

And I have the white one, which I've been thinking about how to power..............

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Chassis's assembled.

For small car builds, I like to use wide tires in the rear. Hence, the use of the narrow Devised Designs super slimline motor pod for FF050 motors.

Should be running soon.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

That sure looks good Dan! Two quick questions:

1. Is that like a "torsion bar" setup you have on the side pans for body float?
2. Will we see the completed car in action at Luf's on Friday?

Cheers

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 am

They look attached to the main frame rails to me; held in place by the bent piano wire; also, no sign of body pin tubes. I think he's going after peripheral weighting with the side pans, to gain more traction on the rears and to gain cornering stability from the chassis platform itself.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Only change from my usual chassis is the side pans are now attached to thin piano wire and soldered sparingly to the square brass main rails. Copied this from Chris W's Chevron Targa Proxy car. Has some flex, more so than when I soldered entirely along the sidepan/main rails.

Body's mounted now with single posts, front and rear.

Stance is good. Really like the look of those round sidewall March 761 urethane re-pops.

Car runs well. Will test run tomorrow on Luf's Big Targa and compare to builds 1 and 2.

Just cosmetics left to do, Fuchs wheel inserts and a driver figure on top of the motor.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Nice work Dan :clap: ......I hope it runs as good as it looks !!

On your next build, you may want to consider a couple of slight adjustments to your design.........hope you don't mind me making a suggestion or two.

To illustrate,I have attached a couple of shots of chassis' that I have built using the same pan attachment method that you have used.

Next time, try having the legs of your front pan support piano wire "L's" facing towards the front of the chassis not the rear.......this will add to the chassis flex. (You have faced the rear "L's" towards the rear of the chassis which is perfect).

You may want to add a cross brace to the chassis pans.......this will be soldered to each pan, but, not to the main chassis rails. You may need to solder a bit of brass sheet/tube/square to the pans so that the cross brace just clears the main rails.

To be honest, using square brass tubing as your main rails is not the hot tip in building a "flex" chassis......unlike piano wire, brass does not have a "memory", so , when flexed, it tends to bend, and stay bent, and, more importantly, it does not flex as uniformly as wire.........so brass has 2 strikes against it when building a "flex" chassis. ;)

If you substituted some .055 piano wire for your 2 main chassis rails, the chassis will flex/work better , and stay straighter longer!! :dance:

Cheers
Chris Walker

Last edited by chrisguyw on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 am

Excellent, well illustrated post here. The stance on this 914 is superb. I appreciate the detailed comments about the chassis construction. It helps unravel some of the mystery in my mind concerning brass chassis building.

Well done.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Ah, what chassis beauties! I cling to the adjustable wheel base feature but the all piano wire advantages are acknowledged.

Chris, on the inline chassis, what's the piano wire diameter of the L attached to the rear of the side pan? And does it fit into a brass tube (1/16?) with some looseness?

In the meantime, Fuch wheel inserts are in.

Running comparison with build 2 which has the fixed side pans on Luf's Big Targa tonight.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Can't explain it, but I got a definite improvement with build 3. Almost a tenth and a half fastest lap. Fresher tires? Slightly wider rear track? No matter, it's better!

Piano wire info's all in so moving forward.

Going to re-chassis my Lola T160 build 3 with piano wire main rails. Being facilitated with Retro Racer's fabricated slimline motor bracket. New thread to be posted.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:59 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase