[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Porsche 550

Porsche 550

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Porsche 550

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 pm

I am getting a lot of mileage out of that Porsche 550 that Allan sent me for the PanAmerican proxy. I cast some resin shells from it and this is the 4th car I have built.

Again sitting on a Credit card Chassis in a sidewinder arangement. A new type of motor is now being used. 10 X10 X19mm 15 K at 12 volts with really good brakes has it on par with many other slot car motors( Stock Ninco) in a very small size. This is now my go to motor on on my 143 builds and it works well in 132 as well

I cut open the shell so I could have a lifting rear deck, and I started detailing the 1500 cc engine. The car has a full interior and I tried my hand at adding some bulkheads as well. Here are some pictures before the racing decals go on.

All the interior work and other detailing slowed the car down by about 2/10th,but I can live with that as I am no where near on par with the other fine cars you guys are racing. I think I am going to send this to a proxy over on SCI.

Wheels are wrong, but I just ordered some proper wheels for SCC, and I will do up some period correct inserts for them.

Last edited by BARC 1 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Porsche 550

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Nice job!!!.......a lot of effort, both hinging the engine cover, and, adding engine detail :clap:

If you are looking for some really nice wheels/inserts, RSSlotracing has some 15 x 7 wheels and inserts for the 550...lots more too!!

I did a 550 a while back using the RSSlot wheels/inserts.

Cheers
Chris Walker

Last edited by chrisguyw on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks Chris. I have some proper size wheels coming for SCC, and I was just going to cast the inserts myself

I will have a look at these other wheels though as your Porsche is stunning, and the wheels are not hurting the look of that car!!!!

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby loosewheel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:55 pm

Fabulous! Where did you get the headlights?
loosewheel
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

My version is a resin cast off of the Ninco. I drilled out the resin between the front headlight bezels and inserted fake jewels. The lens were found on some clear packaging material I cut them to size and sanded them until they fit.

The running lights are smaller jewels. The particular prototype picture I was looking at had clear running lights, so I went with clear

I will fashion chrome rings out of bare metal foil when I apply the decals.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:56 am

Dan, I understand wanting the period correct wheels but I must say the dark center mags look great on the Porsche. Love the extra detail with the engine cover and inside detail!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:28 pm

More work on the 550 engine area and spare tire. Got the decals on, and increased the wheel size on the front axle, keeping the rims for now as I like the looks of them as well. Running the car with the rear deck off.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Careful they might "black flag" you for that......oh yeah, you own the track and have some pull with the marshalls :roll:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Only in testing and chassis set up, no other cars are on the track.. Rear deck will be on for racing!!
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby loosewheel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 pm

I do the foil trick on the lens rims, I just can't get the lenses right. That being said, I've never seen a 550 as nice as yours. I'm in awe of your work.
loosewheel
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:58 pm

You must be talking about Chris's 550. The finish on that car is spectacular, and I wish mine would have turned out as well.

I do like the options available when you use these smaller motors. I have a DB5 coming that I would like to try the motor up front and using HO crown gears in a differential type set up in the rear end.. Not sure what kind of slot car it will make, but it will be fun trying.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase