[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Hawk Lancia D50 build

Hawk Lancia D50 build

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Hawk Lancia D50 build

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:05 am

Long before Cartrix produced their Lancia Ferrari D50, our club started a class for 50's Formula 1 cars, and as I was in love with the Lancia D50, my only option was to use the Hawk kit, which was produced in the mid 60's ( I think ).

The kit was very basic....no interior, no driver, no mirrors, no gas caps, exhausts, windshield etc.,......all the little bits, that add up to a really accurate model, and even more frustrating , at the time of launch, it was priced at 49 cents!!!!..........considerably less than I ended up paying 40 years later. :violin: I shouldn't whine, as I ended up buying a few. :)

Anyway, I spent a lot of time, finding/building the detail bits, and the car turned out very well.................Now anyone interested can buy/convert a Cartrix and save a lot of time and effort.

The original model kit box.........

Very basic kit, as you can see.....or maybe not as this photo is quite small....

I built a fairly straightforward "flexi-board" design chassis.......this is my favourite design for slow motor/skinny tired cars.

As mentioned, I did end up poking around the parts box for a driver, dashboard, mirrors and gascaps.......and I had to make the windscreen, exhausts and front radiator grill.

Here she be.......The wheels are available from RSSlot, and are BWA clones (which are no longer available).......I have painted both the inserts, and the wheels......much more period correct looking!! ;)

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Hawk Lancia D50 build

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:28 am

Sweeettt! I always liked that car as it was the only GP car that you could put side pans on the chassis like a sports car. I have a rough fiberglass body for one of these that is in my to do bin. I think I will follow this chassis design for it. Of course it won't turn out as well as yours, eh?

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:13 pm

That is lovely Chris.

Are you willing to show some more chassis secrets?
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

What a honey. Nice work!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:57 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Your build looked impressive on my phone screen, and now seeing it on a full screen Awesome Build!!

I can image how neat it is to tool the Hawk around your track!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Fantastic job on one of my favorite F1 cars.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 pm

munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Last edited by chrisguyw on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 pm

Chris how do you fix the torsion bars are they glued in?

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:36 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:12 am

Chris,

On those chassis, how do you solder the guide tongue onto the front plate so cleanly?

Do you sweat some solder on the plate, position the guide tongue and apply the iron tip on top?

Fantastic work!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 am

Thank you very much, Chris.

Your words combined with the pictures certainly makes everything clear.

You have given me food for thought...I have a build in mind where the "flex/torsion" chassis will be of huge benefit.

Once again, thank you.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:28 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:05 am

Wow - the car is gorgeous...and those chassis!!! Man!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to 1/32 Showcase