[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Matra MS10

Matra MS10

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Matra MS10

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:02 am

A few years ago, I decided to enter an English (UK) based proxy for Formula 1 cars from the mid 60's era...........I thought I could cobble up a chassis fairly easily, but the body would be another story, as I had my heart set on a Matra, and at that time, the only one available was the rather hideous looking thing from MRRC/Airfix.

So given that many of the cars in this series were quite gorgeous, I was concerned about the outcome..............transferring this :scared-eek: (with its grossly overscale motor/transmission)

Into something that somewhat resembled this.........I was no doubt apprehensive!!

I decided to build the chassis first...(generally my habit,as this lets me not have to worry about the body for a while!! ;) )

The chassis is a fairly typical "flexi-board" design, and was powered by an 050 motor, as per the rules. It uses 13" wheels (proper for F1) from RS Slot, and the inserts were cut down from some Lola inserts I had (only a blindman would notice the difference)

With the chassis done, it was time to get on with the body.......the first pic shows that I have stripped the bulky motor bits, and most of the transmission,... have cut out the molded in driver, and have test fit a new driver,....have built some injector trumpets, and, have made a proper rollbar from 2 pieces of bent piano wire.

I found some engine bits in my parts box..(the valve covers are from a Scaley Lotus 49).....I gave it a coat of Tamiya French blue, and added some great Indycal decals to create Mr. Beltoises' car........getting there!! :dance:

The front/rear suspension bits were made from aluminum/piano wire, mirrors were added, a little work on the new driver, a bit of detail paint, and she's done!!

Far from perfect in both execution and accuracy, but, I think it captures the "feel" of the car.....it is certainly one of my personal favs., and also, one of my better performing cars.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Matra MS10

Postby chappy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 am

Nicely done Chris. Making a silk purse from a sows ear.
It is obvious that a lot of thiught went into,this build, andnot shows.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 am

Wow, beautiful chassis and great modelling.

Encourages me to delve into piano wire. Is that .064 wire for the main rails? Looks like the guide plate swivels, right?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 am

Outstanding. This is another post to feature.

We will begin our "The Brass Age" section using it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 am

Nicely done.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:23 pm

A stunner...!!!
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:55 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Mr Walker,

You never cease to amaze me with your work.

Please come to Hawaii so I can take some lesson. I'll provide the room if you provide the tutoring.

Seriously that is a great piece of craftsmanship. It is great to see old cars brought to life again.

Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DRW21 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 am

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 am

Beautiful! Great to hear it runs well, too. Not surprising given the shop producing it, though.

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 am

A thing of BEAUTY !!!!!!!!!!
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:09 pm

simply art!

Magnifique!!!
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:21 pm

That looks great!!! Very nice!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby mattb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Damn shame to cover that chassis. Superb. There is a body? I haven't quit looking at the chassis.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Very nice car. A real stunning slot car.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase