[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Group 5 inline chassis build

Group 5 inline chassis build

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Group 5 inline chassis build

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:55 pm

A few years ago I received a few of these PN Slot anodised aluminum inline motor pods.....and well.....they have been sitting on the bench since. Although they are very well made (by far the nicest/strongest alu. pods I have seen),....and very cool looking, most of my race cars utilize a sidewinder configuration, so, I have never used them in any of my race builds...up till now.

This chassis will be entered in the 2016/2017 Group 5 proxy, and from a performance perspective, I don't see it staying with the top sidewinder cars, ............. it certainly won't disgrace itself,.....looks really trick,.... and at least I can now tell the donor that I did use the pod. ;)

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Group 5 inline chassis build

Postby gascarnut » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Ooh, a long can motor in an inline frame under a Gp5 car, nice! Gorgeous workmanship as always too.

There have been a few inlines that have worked well, so there's no real reason it won't be competitive. On my track for example, I think the more progressive slide of an inline is often better than the tail-heavy "snap" that comes from a sidewinder.

As usual, a lot will depend on tire choice and preparation, and Chris is really good at that....!
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Yes indeedy, that star shines!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:32 pm

What a beautiful chassis, Chris! The pod is gorgeous also. I wouldn't leave them on my workbench for long though. I just looked them up, and they are worth almost $60 CAD a pop.

I must try an inline brass chassis in my Racer Sideways Capri. I still haven't mastered the angle winder chassis it came with, even with the newer hard pod.

Keep up the good work,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:41 pm

That is just drop dead gorgeous, both the pod and the chassis. I would certainly hope you should do well in the proxy although, having seen and driven the Gp 5 proxy cars every year since the first go-around, I must say it is a VERY tough competition! Regardless of results: you should get some style points! I can remember looking at those online years ago and thinking they were just the best looking pod ever.

Good luck and I am looking forward to the privilege of seeing and driving these cars again this year.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Concourse chassis for sure !!!!!!
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:57 pm

As the deadline for this proxy (Group 5) is fast approaching, I thought I should get a move on............and the rolling chassis is now complete.

A little bit of final tire selection/prep to be done, and it will be on its way. I am quite pleased with its performance.........I don't expect it to scare the top sidewinder cars, and I normally would have incorporated a sidewinder layout, but, I did promise to use this pod, and it sure does look cool!! :dance:

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Very nice build Chris. How on earth do you get the brass cut so straight.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby SuperSlab » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Not only is the chassis top shelf, but so are these building tips.

If you have time between building championship level Chassis, I'll gladly host an article showing your quick masking tape advice.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Audi1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 am

Always a treat to see one of Chris' chassis! And the color combo - brass, polished piano wire, burnt orange anodized pod, steel pinion and light orange crown - really nice!

And...............I'm sure I will go like stink! ;)

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks Chris , very useful info , and knowing what our good builders do certainly helps those of us stuggling to reach an acceptable attempt.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby strangebrew » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 am

WOW! I wish I had the patience to do it that way.....(not to mention the skills) :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase