[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cox Cheetah - new chassis

Cox Cheetah - new chassis

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Cox Cheetah - new chassis

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:21 am

Got this vintage Cox Cheetah body sans chassis from a local hobby store's close-out sale awhile back. Just love the old wear and look of this body, so in the absence of the original magnesium chassis, I'm going to build one of my simple brass ones to get this on the track.

I'll use the Professor Motor motor bracket but again, I've found the machined grooves for chassis rails not matching and needing filing to attain. A bit irritating.

Don't usually have more than one project on the go, but still waiting for other builds's parts in the mail.

Here we go.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cox Cheetah - new chassis

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Went with a FF050 slim line motored chassis as there's interior tray interference with the PM motor bracket.

Mock fit the body.

It's going to work.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 pm

Looks good Dan. How does the body compare to the Strombecker pop off resins?

I finally got some square brass tubing and cut out some rear and front brackets. The rear looks very much like what you are using, made with 3/4" tube. I also have some 1" tube that I still have to cut. I'll save some for you when you return.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:35 pm

That is looking really good! I want a Cox Cheetah in the worst way but they usually end up going for silly money on eBay...
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 pm

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:37 pm

That is looking GREAT!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:30 pm

@ retro racer - Cox's interpretation as expected is nicely modeled with subtle flares and curves compared to the wider and flatter Strombecker version. The molding is crisp and the small detail parts add to the realism. Beautiful design work by the Cox designers and mold makers from so long ago. Looking forward to seeing your motor bracket handiwork.

@ Lou E - Just got lucky on getting this body. Local hobby shop was sadly closing down and clearing all inventory. The slot car pile had three vintage 1\32 jewels, a complete Monogram Ferrari 275, Monogram Ferrari 250 LM body and this Cheetah one. Had never ever seen one in person before and out of the blue it shows up in my own backyard. What a fluke!

Body's mounted, getting a decent stance with tire rubbing in mind.

Wheel inserts are Slot It Ford GT40 Halibrands, the rears filed down to fit Slot It F1 rims.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am

Aesthetics capped off with the Halibrand's three-prong knock offs.

Chassis's done with the added 1/4" .063 sidepans fitting nicely within the stock body.

Left the body's original mounting posts intact just in case I find an original chassis.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 pm

As mentioned in my Porsche 914/6 build, the BWA bracket has quite a short distance between the axle line and motor mounting surface leading to very tight fitting of gears. In the Cheetah's situation, I decided to mount the motor right against the bracket (no spacers) and SHORTEN the pinion gear and shaft.

Boy, that was almost a disaster! If this didn't fit, I'd have destroyed a motor with a drastically shortened shaft that was useless in most other applications. Fortunately, it worked out, but just. Gear mesh is a bit tight but loosening with more running.

Body's mounted now.

Runs pretty good but not as driveable as my other Cheetah builds with the Strombrecker and resin copy bodies.

Done!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:44 pm

That looks great Dan! I think all of us 60's slotters probably have a major soft spot for the Cox GT40s and Cheetahs. In my part of the world they were game changers and just in a totally different league from anything else, both in appearance and technology/performance. The Cox model in your photographs looks a million times better than the Strombecker.

I actually have an almost mint running GT40: I should take it to Luf's for a run again.

Nice trip down memory lane...
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 am

That turned out GREAT!
Bravo sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to 1/32 Showcase