[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Homemade decal info needed

Homemade decal info needed

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Homemade decal info needed

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:33 pm

I downloaded images of the 'House of Blues' logo, pasted various size copies into a Word document, and printed out some decals on white waterslide decal paper with an inkjet printer. I let the decal sheet sit for about 36 hours before cutting out a few to apply. As I put the decals in warm water and watched the ink melt away I realized I missed a step or two.

What do I need to do to have these decals to survive the waterslide application process?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Homemade decal info needed

Postby Gameover » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:44 pm

I spray krylon clear coat on my water slide decals i make.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 pm

You need to coat them with some kind of sealer; the Krylon will work or you can use Testor's Decal Bonding Spray (Hobby Lobby, among others). I normally do 2 light coats. The first I spray across the paper, allow to dry (12-24 hours depending on heat/humidity), then spray at right angles to the first. After it has cured another 24 hours, I cut out a "test decal" (I usually print one on a corner of the sheet) and test for colorfastness. If the test decal tries to run I add a thin coat of Future over the sheet and allow it to dry. Too many coats of bonder will cause the decals to "curl" when applied. Hope this helps.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:39 pm

I also learned another trick in socal too. I dont fully submerge in water any more. I use a lid of a small tupperware dish and a piece of paper towel on top of it. I add water to the paper towel and dab the decal and let it sit there for a few seconds. Works great!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby slothead » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 am

Thanks for the comments, the HRW community is tops!

I actually had a Testors' decal making kit with bonding spray in the closet I totally forgot about. I put a first coat on the decal sheet and will do a second coat after 12 hours. When it comes time to do the application I'll try the paper towel method rather than soaking them in warm water as I've done since my youthful model-making days.

While I'm sure the guys who responded know this, others may not, so here's a tip for newbies. If you insert a generic shape such as a rectangle into a Word document you can format it (size, border color and thickness, etc.) and even fill the shape with a color or a photo. For the photo option you can browse through your files and use any image you have. The image will be resized to fit in the shape which can then be copied and resized over and over as needed for multiple size decals. Once you have sizes you like the current photo can be replaced with others using the 'fill' option again during formatting. Shapes can be easily moved around in a Word document and layered over or under other objects to create graphics as seen in folded photo paper modified bodies.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 am

I use two programs to edit my decals: Microsoft Paint (comes with your computer) and Paint.net (excellent program without problems and free for download). Generally I edit and refine the images on Paint .net and assemble and print from MS Paint. I set my printer for glossy photo paper when printing.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:50 am

My decals have 2 coats of Testor's bonding spray on them and the 2nd coat is being given plenty of time to dry. I'll try applying them over the weekend.

Does anyone here use peel and stick decals? I think SlotCars4U started to offer them before they closed, but I only bought waterslide ones. Now I'm thinking about trying peel-n-stick for my own decals if it's available.

I'm still using a 20 yr old version of Microsoft Office I bought in graduate school on a few old computers - it works just fine. But I may try Paint.net too. There's also a Photoshop-like software package called Gimp that can be downloaded for free. I have it but can do what I need to in Microsoft Word.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:35 am

I coat with Tamiya lacquer, light coat, followed a day later by a heavier coat and maybe even a third coat a day after that. Word was the only program I found on my computer that allowed you to change the size of a decal. I am glad to hear all you can do with Word in the above post. I will have to experiment some.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:28 am

I used several versions of peel and stick by Pattos. The colors and such are excellent. I used an Exacto knife tip to secure the decal to and use the knife to help with accurate placement. You can use a little water behind them in case you place them incorrectly. Using your index finger, you can roll from the center of the decal to sort of squeegee the water out.

You need to trim as close as you can to the artwork and you will see the edges on some cars. They are just thicker and do not lend themselves to covering fine detail/body shapes. Such as regular decals being able to "snuggle" into or over detail like door seams or sharp body lines.

The trade off is extreme durability.

Good luck with your project.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:13 am

The bonding spray worked and the paper towel method got my decals to slide off the backing just fine. But, as usual my waning modeling skills won out and even though the decals are in place the corner of one folded under and I wasn't able to get it all out, and while trying to work the wrinkles out of another it stretched and ended up not being centered on the trunk of the car.

That said, the #16 blue Cougar now has 'House of Blues' decals on it to honor the assigned driver - Riley King (the given name of late great blues master BB King). The Cougar races in my Muscle Car series against other cars with drivers such as Tim Richmond, Dave Allison, Wendel Scott, Marty Stanley, and Tom Bryner (a departed slotter from PA who some may remember as the creator of TomKat dirt modified bodies).

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby mattb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 am

Sometimes when you get one folded over, you can take and Exacto and slip the blade under the decal and remove it, put it back in water where it will flatten out to original shape, then slip the old backing under it and remove it from the water and make another attempt. If it doesn't want to come off the car, just keep applying water to it with your finger tip till it finally slides freely.

That's what I do, but about half the time I have to make a new decal and do it again!!! That's why I usually print two sets of decals at a time!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:50 am

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:31 am

I'm with Matt, when I print up a sheet, I always make doubles of everything. That way, when the "Grrrrr :angry-screaming: factor" kicks in I have a backup (or 2).
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase