[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - VW Bug rat rod build

VW Bug rat rod build

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Re: VW Bug rat rod build

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:03 am

I LIKE it!!!!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby MoparGreg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Looks cool
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Yep, too cool, better than Scaleys version of a bug
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:34 am

Wasn't happy with the looseness of the original rear drive assembly, so I went to a more precise setup consisting of:

- BWA aluminum rims
- Slot It 50mm axle
- SCX Pro 9t pinion
- SCX Pro 27t crown

Much smoother.

Also, added a 10g lead strip for a more planted drive. Turned down the Carrera Nascar rims into inserts. Kit's hub caps just might work out to be good headlamp buckets to finish off the build.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:43 am

Wow. I need a bug body now. Looks amazing.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby ccobra » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Wow that is really starting to shape up. Are you going to add the "Maker" after the 'Widow"? :lol:
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Wow...I just posted about another VW and then I see this...another awesome take on the VW's!! Another sweet all around build VTEC!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Made headlights from the kit's wheel hubcaps, 1/16 piano wire and epoxy.

Tried to get that Cibie look.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 am

Hi Dan:

With the mould Luf and Don M made, we have now poured near a dozen split window bug bodies. I worked on mine a bit today, cleaning up the body and then tearing it apart. I cut the outer sides of the fenders and the running boards off, but kept a bit of the top surfaces. This retains the headlights of the Bug, but also gives me wide open wheel wells.

Next I cut off the roof. I cut across the top just behind the windshield, across both B pillars, and up around the back to the base of the rear windows. It has a big of an old touring car look to it. I haven't decided yet if I will keep the original windshield or cut it off and make a low frameless one. I looked out a Slot.it inline pod for a long can and put a Sloting + Speed 2 in it with 9:27 gears. That may be too much grunt for a small car, but i have other slower long cans if need be.

I have a Mark Thomas blown Hemi motor to do up, and it will go right behind the driver's seat with honking big pipes sticking out the open back.

At least that's the plan. I will take some pics tomorrow and post my progress.

By the way, Dan, we are waiting until you come back in October before we race this new class of VW rods. Should be fun, eh?

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Keith,

Saw Don M's build in progress and looks like you're both doing roadsters. Probably will help to remove that roof weight.

Will be interesting to see if how many others put something together.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:09 am

Chassis's 3/32 square main rails helped again to easily simulate exhaust pipes.

1/16 piano wire and 3/32 aluminum tube counter sunk at the tip did the trick.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Love the detail and mods applied to this build!
Two thumbs up!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Dundee Denny » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:49 pm

DOUBLE A+ on this build!

Another fine example of creativity around this site!!

Have one of those kits and see if I can make you proud!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CrockettNZ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 am

nice job well done :text-bravo:
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:33 am

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!