[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Well its close to 1/32 3d print job

Well its close to 1/32 3d print job

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Well its close to 1/32 3d print job

Postby ccobra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 am

Like I mentioned in some other posts, I've been getting the hand, eye, brain coordination back and took on a project again that I have been trying to complete the last three years but to no avail, but then a brain fart woke me up in the middle of one night a couple of days ago and this developed on my computer;
At first it started off like it was going to be one of those stealth fighters;
but low and behold after 5-1/2 hours of printing I got this;

Now I need to just wait for a shipment of screws from M-C and the power plant, gears, tires and wheels from SCC. The plan is to go with 15x8 in the front with PG 21125 and 15x11 with PG 22166FF meats in the rear. The way the body was modeled up was I took two old pictures from the magazine Machine Design, set those a top and side view of the model and extruded sections and lofted between sections until I got what I wanted. It missed the 1/32 scale just a smidgen but the wheel base is the 120" scaled down and the wheels are within spec for the size, just not the right design. I'll be using the F1 wheels since they were close in size. The width of the body is a little over to accept my latest frame design and the front end is model for a little more strength. The front and rear spoilers have been modified also with material added to the top to reconnect for added strength for the 3d printer makes the vertical uprights brittle between layers. I also fudged a little on the weight for if I calculated correctly it should weigh around 22 kg and the CAD predicts a completed weight of 107g.
Anyway, I'll just need to wait so there will be more later as parts roll in.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Well its close to 1/32 3d print job

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow, that's impressive.

Looking forward to your progress.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Got the chassis cleaned up for the axles, rear bushings, and side gear. I used good old 3/32 drill rod for the axles set at 2 inches. On the rear axle I filed a flat for the set screw to set as flush to the side gear boss as possible. Otherwise the set screw will cut what little frame I have back there.
Image I'll be using a 35T gear this time. Then I whipped out the inch drive impact and drove the upper motor mount screws in place. This cover serves two purposes, it connects the frame together better due to the slots for the motor and it helps hold the motor in place. I had experience flex in this area which cause the car to speed up and slow down due to changing gear backlash from the flex. With mounts located on the mid-sections I like the flex the plastic chassis offers, kind of like the 'rattle' brass frames in my opinion.
Then I got out the paint sticks and added a minimal amount of trim and then added two coats of clear. I was surprised how the ABS plastic shined.
No just to wait until Friday for my shipment of motor, tires, and wheels.
I guess the scale is not that noticeable when compared to the SCX Indy car.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Alaskaracer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Very Cool!
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:43 am

Crazy amount of work that must have gone into that! Wow!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 am

That is impressive!
Thank you for sharing the progress shots and details thus far!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ccobra » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:36 pm

ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase