[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Pioneer Street Racer Chargers coming!

New Pioneer Street Racer Chargers coming!

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: New Pioneer Street Racer Chargers coming!

Postby zilger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm

zilger

Postby F1Fan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Having grown up in South Africa, my experience with American Muscle Cars are limited and I don't share the same nostalgic love for them as some others on this forum, however after 30 years in North America I certainly have more of an appreciation for them and a better understanding for why they are so popular with many.

Although I have many cars in my collection, I have very few Pioneer models and even less road (street) cars, well at least where the driver is without a helmet.

A couple of weeks ago I saw this model on a forum and I thought it was really cool and that I would like one, but when I started looking around at the usual suppliers there were none to be had. I assumed (since I don't pay to much attention to these type of cars) that I missed this model's release and that they are sold out. (This was all prior to this thread). Then I found one on ebay from a hobby store in the UK called Gliders & Racing Models, the price (and especially postage) was reasonable and I placed the order on August 16 and the car arrived today. I LOVE it! Very unique and very different for me, but it looks great. From the yellow lettering on the tyre sidewalls to the stickers on the back window, it is all very well done!

Congratulations Pioneer!

Chris

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby williamg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:49 am

williamg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 am

I was wrong before when I said none of the dealers on the HRW 'Best of the Best' list carried Pioneer cars - Cincyslots has 3 older models in stock. None of the other dealers had any Pioneer cars.

I also didn't see the new Charger street rods listed at the Pioneer USA dealers listed on their website. So, if anyone needs a Charger street rod fix right away the UK dealers are the immediate remedy.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby JULES » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Your analysis is correct Joe.

There are dealers in the US that stock these new models but they don't shake this tree.

I remain hopeful that one of the dealers listed in 'best of the best' will decide to get on board but we shall have to see.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby NHBandit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:00 am

NHBandit

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 am

This is my personal opinion that I've stated before. I think Pioneer cars are worth what they cost. If you look at their product line over the years it's very narrow compared to the 'big' manufacturers. Whereas just about every other slot car I have was made in China, Pioneer cars are now made in England, presumably at a higher cost than other cars or I imagine other manufactures would be there too. I appreciate a 'small' company with a unique manufacturing structure also has to have a different pricing structure to remain viable.

As for Ebay, the whole structure there, as I see it, is to get top dollar for things. As I dealer I think my mindset would be I'm not interested in selling you a car for $45 if I can get someone to buy it for $65. When I hear someone say the 'won' something on Ebay it makes me chuckle 'cause in my mind if you bought it you didn't win it. What you did was willingly pay more for it than anyone else was willing to. But, that's sort of as it should be if you wanted it more than anyone else.

The most expensive slot car I have is a CG Slotcars Shadow DN4 that I paid $147 for with PG tires from SCC. Why did I pay that much? Because CG Slotcars was the only source for it and that's what it cost. It's not my fastest Can Am car, or my favorite to drive, but I needed it to round out my starting grid appropriately. I'm thankful that there are a variety of slot cars cars available at a range of prices so I can pick what I want.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Billy boy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 pm

So how many cars would someone have to buy to be a dealer? There are no hobby shops near me that carry pioneer either. I’d love to get one at a fair retail price from a dealer in the u.s but I won’t hold my breath. Awesome looking cars.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 pm

I just put the whole 'where to get the Red Devil Charger' issue aside by placing an order at Inaslot. Yes, this means I won't get one of the ones that already made it's way across the Atlantic Ocean, but at least I have one that will be on its way soon. The new steelie wheels and axle sets weren't listed, so that will be another order at a later date.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby JULES » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 am

There are a few points worth clarifying/explaining that have been raised in the above few posts…

First, NHBandit - it would be nice to know who you are, merely on a ‘friendly’ basis, – anyway, to your questions/points……

You specifically mentioned pricing. This is a topic I have covered on countless occasions over the last 10 years. The real answer can run to many 1000’s of words but here is the distilled version:-

The final retail price you pay will vary depending on the dealer mark-up. Some choose to make a small profit and shift plenty of product, other choose a higher % profit and they loose sales.

In a world where customer loyalty is lost with the click of a mouse, it is competitive out there. Pioneer gave up with a suggested MRSP many years ago it’s way too difficult to police.

You asked why there is, to you, such a large difference in what might be perceived by many as a very similar product (Pioneer vs. Scalextric)……

Manufacturing procedures in many Chinese toy factories rely on mass production of one item, or type of car, at a time and I expect in the case of the Scalextric brand you mentioned this is perhaps the case. In addition, particularly lately, there could be an economic efficiency by standardizing many chassis components and other cost-saving decoration procedures.

There are perhaps many other factors involved that influence ex-factory unit cost but I’m not entirely privy to them so I would not want to speculate.

You mentioned that your particular favorite is the Dodge Charger. That is a good example. If you strip down a Scalextric Dodge Charger and then strip down a Pioneer Dodge Charger you’ll notice it takes longer to do that with more parts. That exercise works the other way as well.

The other cost factor is design and tooling and labor costs. It’s true that your average Chinese factor worker now earns way more than they ever have before but the hourly rate is still considerably less than Western rates. I pay Western rates to get Pioneer cars screwed together.

Having said all of the above, my trade price to dealers is just about all I can charge with a small profit included. As I have said many, many times before, Pioneer models are the most expensive plastic-molded RTR slot models to actually produce in a factory and that includes other brands that have ‘perceived’ upscale metal parts & chassis platforms and aluminum wheels and sticky tires. None of them cost more to make than a Pioneer car but folks pay premium prices for them nonetheless and often considerably more.

On so onto Slothead’s observations…..
Joe’s first paragraph is pretty much covered in my explanation above but it is worth noting that whoever is selling Pioneer models in the USA for $45.00 will not be building up a handsome pension pot. That is not possible.

Joe’s last comment does refer to an expensive slot car. By all accounts, he’s very happy with the purchase and that is the important point for him.

Billy Boy – be nice to know your real name (although it might actually be your real name in which case it’s ace) – The answer to your question as to how many cars you need to acquire to be come a deal is:- Not as many as you might think. In fact it’s pretty low on an annual basis but consistency is the key. Full T’s & C’ available upon direct request via a PM. What the slot car business does not need are weekend/spare bedroom retailers trying to pinch a tiny slice of an existing market but that subject needs it’s own topic (like it has many times before).

Finally then, back to Joe the Slothead: Thank you for getting hold of a Red Devil Charger. You’re correct that the steelie wheels are not widely available right now. They have been fitted to the Red Devil and a few extra colored versions of these wheels have been supplied recently to Sir Harry the Wise. Some will also be on their way shortly to an HRW contributor you will be very familiar with.

Bye for now,
Jules
Pioneer
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby YamFJ1200Rider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:40 am

Does anyone know if Pioneer is going to have light kits for any of their T/A cars???
YamFJ1200Rider

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:23 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:31 am

Did they ever race Trans Am at night?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:57 am

Yes:

Daytona 24 hours
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Billy boy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Jules, billy boy here. My real name is bill Shea. The closest dealer to me is modelville hobby in Ashland mass. He is primarily a 1/24 commercial guy but does carry 1/32 cars and track. I just wanted to know how many cars he would have to buy to become a dealer. He’s not an online retailer but does cater to a small group of enthusiasts. Like I said,the cars you make are beautiful. I wish I could have more.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Slot Car News!