Ford V. Ferrari Movie in November

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: Ford V. Ferrari Movie in November

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:26 am

The gold #5 Holman Moody car has been made by Scalextric, Slot.it and Fly. It was also made by Carrera in 1/24 scale (the one I am still chasing)
It was raced by Ronnie Bucknum/Dick Hutcherson. Holman Moody had a 3 cars in the race - #4 Mark Donahue and Paul Hawkins (an Aussie) #6 Mario Andretti and Lucien Bianchi - all have been released as slot cars.

The #5 car came 3rd at LeMans in 1966 - behind the #2 and #1 cars of McLaren and Miles. McLaren stole the race from Miles - Ken Miles should have been the winner and it was somewhat unfair that he didn't get a much deserved win. Had he won he would have been one of the few drivers who achieved the endurance triple crown having won at Daytona 24h and Sebring 12h.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks for the info. Found the gold #5 at Cincyslots but out of respect for Ken Miles will probably get a replica of his car. I remember the story about how he lost the win at Le Mans because Ford wanted the top 3 Ford GT40's to line up and cross the finish line together. His car deserves to be represented on my road course. The Miles-Hume #1 is shown below in a 3 car (weathered) set from Scalextric.

Scalextric Ford GT40 Le Mans 1966 3 Cars Set BNIB Good Wood c2529a. Ebay prices range from around $120 - $160.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby strummer57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 am

My hope about this film is that there are not too many unnecessary, huge car crashes just to satisfy the "Fast and Furious" crowd.(no offense intended there.)

Judging by the trailer, it looks like there are plenty...still looking forward to it, however.

Mark in Oregon
strummer57

Postby slothead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 pm

To many people auto racing is accidents and pile ups. While in reality most racing accidents are nothing spectacular, that's not what makes the sports shows or is depicted in movies and on TV. While racing enthusiasts found crash aspects of 'Days of Thunder' and 'Talladega Nights' to be way over the top, it was probably what many consider normal. If there's a good theme, plot, and story, but no big crashes with cars going airborne and exploding gas tanks I assume many viewers would leave theaters disappointed.

I'm hoping the movie will depict the commitment made by Ford, the work done by Shelby, and the effort put in by the drivers to win at Le Mans. And, I'm wondering if any of the actors will get hooked on auto racing the way major stars James Garner and Paul Newman did decades ago. Newman went on to be a competent and successful driver and team owner.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Previous

Return to Slot Car News!