SHOW CANCELLATION REMINDER

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

SHOW CANCELLATION REMINDER

Postby BIG E » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 am

Just a quick reminder that tomorrow's LONG ISLAND TOY CAR TRIFECTA (as posted below) is cancelled (at least for this year).
Looking for an appropriate alternate venue in the local area to continue in the future.
Hope to see everyone at the other northeastern USA model/slot car events this year. -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: SHOW CANCELLATION REMINDER

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:50 am

Ernie - if you keep posting notices I will get to an event at some point and catch up with you. I don't travel much in the winter, but from June - September do some road trips down the east coast and westward.

Also, 50th anniversary of the moon landing is just over 3 months away, and I will be attending some of the events in recognition of that.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: SHOW CANCELLATION REMINDER

Postby BIG E » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm only 20 min. from the Cradle of Aviation museum where the last Lunar Excursion Module ever built (but never flown) resides in it's own darkened room on a beautiful lunar surface diorama, complete with Neil Armstrong figure climbing down to make his famous "one small step for mankind." And yes, they are ramping up activities for the 50th Anniversary Celebration, including visits from astronauts and other celebrities connected to the lunar landing program. I was just there earlier this week as they conducted a video interview with my Dad on the subject for the county library's permanent archives. I arranged for it to be done with him sitting right in front of the LEM. He was one of the quality control guys on all of the LEMs constructed at Grumman Aerospace in Bethpage, Long Island, NY (another 20 min. drive from my home), where he had a 45 year career. At age 93 I'll still occasionally take him to the museum to act as a docent (guide) for a few hours. He loves showing off all the great exhibits and answering questions from kids and adults alike. His specialty, of course, is all the Grumman air and space craft of with there are many present throughout the museum.
There is also a new Pan Am Airways exhibit which would be of interest to anyone who lived during the heyday of great commercial air travel. I always enjoy walking the third level of the atrium when I'm there, as the new exhibit takes up the entire space. A Grumman F11-F jet fighter in full Blue Angels livery greets you as you walk through the main entrance. The entire jet is suspended from the atrium ceiling, with it's nose hanging barely 12 feet above your head! That's my favorite Grumman plane of all time, one which I built dozens of models of when I was young. There is also an IMAX theater in house, and of course a well stocked gift/souvenir shop.
I'd love to be able to meet in person and walk you through the place if we can co-ordinate a day and time that works for both of us. Keep in touch. -- Ernie :>)

***** ALSO... The NJ Slot Car Show in Parsipanny at the PAL hall is Sunday, May 19th. I'm a long time vendor there, and I'm sure you would enjoy attending the event. One of the cool things at the show is professional graphic artist Bob Hardin's famous "Slot Car Thrillustrations", which you can peruse and purchase directly from Bob at the show. Bob was one of the staff artists on the old Peterson Publishing's "Hot Rod CarToons" comic books of decades past. PM me for more details about the show, exact location, and contact info. -- E
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Slot Car News!