[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Thunder Slot McLaren M6A White Kit

Thunder Slot McLaren M6A White Kit

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Postby Rleog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 am

Here is a look at the components of the newly released kit. As I gradually build the model I’ll add pictures and observations either via edit or new lines to this thread.

First, a look at scale:

Actual McLaren M6A:
Length 3886 mm. Width 1727 mm. Height 787 mm. Wheelbase 2324 mm. Track 1321 mm

1/32 scale
Length 121.4 mm. Width 54 mm. Height. 24.6 mm. Wheelbase 72.6 mm. Track. 41.3 mm

Thunder Slot M6A
Length. 125 mm. Width. 63.3 mm. Height (not yet). Wheelbase. 75.5 mm. Track. 49.75 mm

Just a few quick observations: bushings are single flange; gearing is 11:32 (2.91:1); chassis without the motor pod connected is very flexible; a wing is included in the kit, perhaps for a future McLeagle; and the motor is Thunder Slot’s Mach 21 05, 21,500 rpm @ 12 V, 175 g*cm torque.

More later

url=https://flic.kr/p/29gDJPa]Image[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/29gDJPa]

Excellent pictures of the M6A can be found on the ItaliaSlot site, here:

http://italiaslot.com/modules.php?name= ... e&sid=4242
Last edited by Rleog on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Thunder Slot McLaren M6A White Kit

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 am

Wonder how it dimensionally compares to the Revell-Monogram version.

Anyone got one to take measurements?

Thanks for posting.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am

Maybe they'll try to pawn it off as a M8C later on and I see they're still shipping it with the Lola inserts... Come on Thunderslots, it's the little things that matter.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 am

I have the R/M Gurney McLeagle, which is based on a McLaren M6B. The dimensions:
Length. 122 mm
Width. 53.4 mm
Track. ~41 mm
Wheelbase 73 mm

Cory would be feeling a lot better about the Can Am Proxy had he been able to run the Thunder Slot M6! Hopefully there'll be a Can Am Proxy next year.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:20 pm

We need an Olifer or CG 3D chassis for the R-M McLaren; CG has one for the Lola T70. R-M McLaren bodies are readily available.
Sorry to hijack thread.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 pm

I would be curious to know if the chassis that comes with the McLaren is exactly the same as the lola.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:57 pm

The Thunder Slot Lola T70 MkIII and McLaren M6A chassis are very similar but differ slightly in shape at their motor mounts. Both have the triangular style motor mounts but they are not identical. Not able to send a pic at this time.

Actual Lola T70 MkIII

Length couldn't find. Width 1850 mm Height. 950 mm. Wheelbase. 2413 mm. Track 1473 mm

1/32 Scale

Length. N/A Width. 57.8 mm. Height. 29.7 mm Wheelbase. 75.4 mm. Track. 46 mm

Thunder Slot Lola

Length. 133 mm. Width. 65 mm. Wheelbase. 75 mm. Track 51 mm. (With non stock wheels and tires)
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 am

In my best Artie Johnson...……."veeery interesting"!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for the report. Interesting indeed.

After a weekend of racing the Lola T70's here, the scale issues meant very little. Just a smooth, quiet, and quick slot car.

The Revogram versions were pretty, but useless inside. Mine all had to be rebuilt, and even then no match for this car.

I'll have the McLaren, and this time I'll have a good one :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby GRUNZ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:36 pm

I like when a model has the right proportion to be a true scale representation of the real car. But I apply this rule mainly on modern cars (especially GT3, DTM, LMP, etc).
For the rest, I could not care more: I want drive-ability and tune-ability above all.
The TS cars are great cars out of the box. The fact that the new mclaren is not so scale is not a big problem for me: I think Giovanni here went for recreating a model that could compete with the lola. I think it is a smart move.
Otherwise we would have an unbalanced class where one model would be more dominant than the rest.
Take for instance the policar lotus vs march: the lotus's guide position is more forward than the march and it gives this car an advantage.
So it is not a surprise that in the UK, where these cars are raced in national competitions, the lotus is the weapon of choice.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 am

Grunz: "I would be curious to know if the chassis that comes with the McLaren is exactly the same as the lola."

I take back what I stated earlier. The chassis do seem to be identical. The Lola body is interchangeable with the McLaren chassis, and vice versa. The motor pods seem to be interchangeable also.

I'm still painting/building the body. I'll have weight comparisons when I finish. For those with an interest in this McLaren, sorry for being so slow with this.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GRUNZ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Fantastic! This class will be very interesting. In our analog club, we are thinking to introduce a TS-only class. This Mclaren will be a nice competitor for the Lola spyder.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Thunder Slot McLaren M6A White Kit tribute to Donohue/Pe

Postby Rleog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 am

Nice build and nice pics!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Wow, fantastic work! I do hope TS eventually does this livery a smy painting and decalimg skills are non-existent.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Slot Car News!