A Shapeways PSA from CG Slotcars!

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

A Shapeways PSA from CG Slotcars!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm

It was brought to my attention today (Thank you Joe L) that CG Slotcars Shapeways shop prices went a little higher than they were last week..... (like double higher)

Two important things - 1.) Prices on Shapeways (their costs, not mine) are going up 2.) The increases are being done incrementally to the shops. So because I have the worlds first 3D slotcar chassis shop on Shapeways - and it's world renowned with the best prices (or did...) - and the largest and best customer base..... I got hit first with the price increases.

So - as a public service announcement - if you have been on the fence about buying a chassis from Shapeways (yes - from CG competitors) - I would do it sooner rather than later. Before they are assimilated.

I'm fighting tooth and nail over the increases (for slotcars as a whole) - because the increase will nearly kill the interest in 3D chassis (from Shapeways). Shapeways prices have been incredibly low from their inception - it was probably a matter of time before this happened. But a double increase is out of line considering the volume they print for our section. CG is positioned to move on if in fact the increases become a reality for the slotcar section... We have the knowledge, machines and dealer network to support a switch already.... It's just going to push the 3-4 cars I was planning out another year!

I'll update this thread as I get news from Shapeways.....
Last edited by Changing-Gearz on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A Shapeways PSA from CG!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:56 pm

First response from Shapeways...

Thank you for reaching out to us and for being a long time community member. While we are not able to offer exemption from these changes, we will do our best to keep you updated about these changes as they arise.

Shapeways is continually evolving: we are doubling down on serving creators' end-to-end experience. Our pricing is based on many factors including material, volume, bounding box, capacity, labor and factory cost. Moving forward, we will be changing price more frequently to better represent the actual costs of printing. That said, we will communicate with you when those changes affect models currently in your accounts. We'll also provide information for shop owners if there will be changes to mark-ups or listing price

I am truly sorry for any adverse effect this may have on your shop and I hope you believe that that is far from our intention.
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RobNC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

I have purchased several of the CG chassis from Shapeways. I really like the Scalextric 69 Camaro chassis. I have built some good cars that are fast and that will handle on routed tracks. I just checked the Shapeways site and this chassis has went to $27.74. I hope that something can be worked out. Our club is trying to start a TA class that would use this chassis but at this price it won't happen.
RobNC

Postby Rleog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:32 am

When I read Matt's initial post Tuesday evening I was dismayed and thought that it would be a long time before I spent close to $30.00 for a Shapeways CG chassis. Most individuals are likely to feel the same.

What I didn't consider is what Rob pointed out above. An entire class of racing at a club is now likely to forego using a chasss upgrade due to Shapeways doubling of the price. Obviously CGSlotCars gets hurt. But how much sense does it make for Shapeways to double their prices and then (I'll assume) lose much greater than 50% of their business in that segment?

Perhaps Shapeways calculated that this segment of their business is expendable.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:58 am

3D printing is still evolving, I would hope that part of the increased cost will go towards buying even more sophisticated equipment. Right now the technology is great for doing chassis, for bodies it could be better. Doubling the price all in one jump is bound to hurt business. $30 for a chassis without a motor pod is steep. I have bought a number of printed chassis and I have been quite satisfied with them. From my point of view if you are going to race and the car will be competitive for a long time the cost of the chassis is not so important. People that are on a limited budget and may only run their cars on a more casual basis would certainly have a different view.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:16 am

Shapeways is a start-up company that is currently funded by venture capitalists. They brought in a new CEO in mid-February of this year. The company has been offering 3DP in one form or another since 2008 and I suspect that the current investors may be looking for an exit; which would likely either be via acquisition/merger or an IPO. Any of these exits would need a springboard event and a significant bump in revenues could be that event. This doesn’t seem like a strategic move on the part of Shapeways, but rather a bean-counter driven tactical one. With well over 50,000 shops now on Shapeways, I would be surprised if slot car shops are the only ones effected.

All of which does nothing in the short-term to help those of us who would like to purchase Shapeways slot car parts.

If the accounting experiment that they’re running right now; price increases, is successful, then this will likely be a familiar Shapeways business pattern going forward. If it’s not, then you may see prices fall back or deep discounts offered, or both.

But, for now, it may drive Shapeways shop owners to purchase their own 3DP machines, or to purchase more of them if they already have one. Shapeways seems to be betting that a 100% price increase will not drive shop owners in that direction or cause them to look elsewhere for 3DP services....... time will tell if they’re right about that.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A Shapeways PSA from CG Slotcars!

Postby Austin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm

$30.00 for a Shapeways CG chassis. that is only a hour pay, I can gave up one hour once in a while for a great chassis.

All things are good. :twocents-mytwocents:
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm

:confusion-scratchheadyellow: 30$ for a bare chassis. Brass and wire is looking better all the time.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Since we have people who know so much about the nuts-and-bolts of business, why not look for when Shapeways may sell the equipment needed if Rich and Allan have surmised correctly. Three maybe four good-sized slot car vendors can pool resources, hire a guy to operate that one piece of machinery, and Shapeways can go take their chances with customers who think an operating model for business is heartless greed. We are slot car guys, and moreover, we are home slot car guys. It would be good to do business with people with a soul.

But being a dedicated Luddite, I have to say that brass, piano wire, or PCB material, a decent soldering outfit, plus the excellent wheels, tires, axles and such that we already buy produce a better chassis, and three times as many chassis per purchase. Okay guys, chew on that one for a while.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mikeinclover » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am

Most of the racing we do out here does not allow metal chassis, so a 3D printed chassis is the best option. I think this could be a good thing if Changing Gears starts producing them himself and we dealers are able to sell them in our stores. I know we would allow them and probably make a class for them.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 am

As 3D printing equipment becomes more affordable, companies like Shapeways will all but dry up.
Just as resin casting and home printing equipment are now easily attained, so shall the 3D genre.

I know of two major design firms that just installed their own equipment and will be prototyping in house. They were former Shapeways customers.
Two firms don't break the bank, but this is happening rapidly worldwide and they know it.

In addition: The number of people learning CAD and 3D design has also grown at a rapid rate. THAT was the biggest speed bump.
Just like web design, home computers operation, etc. At first very few people understood and knew the craft.
Now? Well, I can tell you that there are more members HERE that have been studying and mastering this art than you might believe.

The action by Shapeways remind you of anything? Such as the fiasco known as Photobucket? With more and more social networking sites like FB, Twitter, etc that easily host and share photos, the need for a site dwindled. The result? Let's hold the consumer hostage and charge a premium. Knowing the end of the company is at hand anyway, why not try it? The result? Well YOU guys here know all about it.

I might prefer a brass chassis, but most do not.

But I DO like the smaller parts that 3D has delivered us. The Carrera and Scalextric guide adaptors being the top ones. And the CG Slotcars wheel inserts. So I can easily see where the need for these chassis in 3D form have a valid future. And with authentic dealers like Cloverleaf (as mentioned) willing to stock them, I think we will see plenty of chassis options in the future.

With or without Shapeways.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby noddaz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Well now. THAT was not expected. I happen to like 3d printed chassis. But I will like them much less at double the price. I can see the thought process here. They might be overextended on the manufacturing end. Double the price, cut the volume and still make the same money. :roll:
Regardless what happens to the vendors that sell the end product.
Good luck with that business model.

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes, people say they like them plenty. Yet how many take the time to post photos or information the build?

People like resin bodies too. Ask Bob Taylor, RMS, how many people say they want it...and those that get one. THEN the ones that actually build it.

If more would share the builds the better.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby racer1h » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Give me a break Shapeways.....no more for me!
HRS2....includes the Pod...$22.00
racer1h
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:25 am

OK, here is one using a Monogram March body.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Slot Car News!