[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera 2018 Catalog

Carrera 2018 Catalog

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: Carrera 2018 Catalog

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Slottus,

Thank you for the quick and detailed response.

Your answers still give me the impression that the trend is away from older American racing iron in general. I admit that I am one of those backward Americans interested in "oval-racing dinosaurs" and definitely not part of the wine-and-cheese set (I don't even wear an ascot when I race, or tweed jacket), in fact I don't follow "e-anything" in racing or series where they mostly follow each other or don't reflect vehicles a modest operation can construct in their garage, but I am one of those simple (yet educated) rednecks that kept American interest in racing at large for half a century or more, and I bet our types have helped Carrera have at least a decent portion of the 1/32 market in the U.S., and will sustainably support it and give feedback, as opposed to the kids that get one for Christmas and throw it in the closet the next day, because it can't compete (in their eyes) with video games. I suspect that guys getting together in basements and racing cars side by side, giving feedback to manufacturers and promoting it to new people and being reliable customers over the decades are the best way to keep a core of this hobby going while the public who sees these as "novelties" will more and more see them as "quaint". At least Slot It tries to support this community with reasonably priced cars that run good and ample parts support - I just wished they made more series amenable to the bulk of American racing enthusiasts like myself. I see Scalextric as trying to respond somewhat, although I hear that they will be withdrawing parts support, much like Carrera.

At least I tried, and I feel better expressing my views, and attempts at keeping Carrera as part of my long-term slot car racing experience. When I meant "golden age", I meant the recent bygone era of Carrera catering to American old-school racing lovers as opposed to the "golden age" of racing in general, but I am sentimental for the latter as well, and it is probably the sign of a manufacturer-mandated "end of an era". If the numbers are accurate and well-researched in that American fans of older racing cars are not sufficient to even justify re-liveries or even white kits, then I guess us guys need to be like "old soldier MacArthur" and just "fade away", but I would hate to see Carrera to observe the American 1/32 slot market fade away due to a misunderstanding of it. If the street car and modern racing car lineup emphasis by Carrera exhibits a continued decline in sales (also emphasizing the models already made by many other slot car makers in general), I hope they don't immediately assume that there is insufficient demand to provide products geared for the American market; I don't know how much the kids and impulse buyers will keep the 1/32 market going, aside from 1/43 and smaller scales.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slottus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Maybe I chose the wrong term, I used "dinosaurs" only in regards to the size, speed, power, variation etcetera.
I love that era!
And I can't get over the fact, that we didn't continue that line with more, later models. :-/

Oh STP-Charger, where art thou?
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm

All I ask, Slottus, is that you threaten to quit if Carrera won't bring them back. That's all I ask...
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slottus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm tempted to post a meme as usual on such occasions... ;-)
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm

[quote]I don't even wear an ascot when I race, or tweed jacket/quote]

Now hold on...let me check my photo library.... :D

Oh Captain Carrera...didnt you know we depend on you to do it ALL? :)

By the way Slottus, have you been working out? You look great in the suit.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Slottus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks, but that's not me - Drifterette won't let me near those promo-girls! ;-)
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 pm

That's not fair at all. Pretty sure you can file a grievance for that :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby zilger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

zilger

Postby Csegreti » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Really happy to see the F1 offerings and a really nice choice of liveries in the GT and DTM categories. I am probably in the minority that does not really care about any of the classic American muscle cars, but I primarily focus on F1.

as happy as I am to see the three models of F1 (all using the same mold just different liveries) and I may be just getting greedy but i still don't understand why they don't make some F1 models from some of the smaller teams. Historically, the models carrera has made of small teams (toro rosso 2007, toyota 2006, red bull 2005/06, sauber 2007) are the most sought after cars now and can cost you probably double retail. I think putting a williams or a force india livery on this new mold may sell better than a merc, or a ferrari or red bull.

We have had at least since 2010 only 4 F1 teams represented in slot form. I have too many of the same 4 teams, and it would be nice to see other teams represented.
Csegreti

Postby manchvegasracer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 pm

I wonder if those F1 samples were just that, samples. I have to believe Ferrari and Mercedes will want their cars accurately portrayed. I bet we see the finished products looking much closer to the real cars.
manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:00 pm

If you want to talk about Cobras, lets talk Daytonas. I think Monogram is the only one that made one weren't they? Never mind. If it was to be made, it would be made in 1/32 along with the other Cobras.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slottus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 am

Regarding the F1s:
we fought for the use of a generic body for all.
Because the cost to have an accurate model featured, that hits the shelves earliest when the real thing just is dismissed, wasn't justifyable anymore.
Year in, year out three times a 100% effort to have last years car featured in the new lineup, with tiny differences that hardly anyone can spot - imagine what could be done with the same efforts in another field?

It happened, that I was asked about a former F1-car we did that just was delivered, if this is a new mould or not.
By die-hard slotters.
The sense for all those efforts escapes me.

Cobra Daytona Coupe: Blue, blue, blue, blue, white, red, blue. And we had that as a vac-formed car for decades. The number of cars that we featured decades ago and are now re-released in complete new and more accurate shape is already too high for my taste. We're running in circle. Okay, one could say, that that's the whole idea... ;)

Cobra liveries: okay, we didn't feature the black one.
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slottus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 am

Ah, and another thing:
the Firebirds' roof windows will be tinted black in production.
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:42 am

Toy fair spy shot

Generic works for me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 am

Having missed out on the black Firebird original release, and not wanting to pay eBay prices for one - I am elated to see this being tweaked a bit and re-released and definitely appreciate everyone's efforts on helping make that happen!
Also, coming to the game late, I missed out on the Chevelle releases. While not the biggest fan of the hood scoop - I will NOT being missing out on these again!
Thanks for sharing the updates guys!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to Slot Car News!