[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Policar Track

New Policar Track

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: New Policar Track

Postby munter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:26 pm

I am pretty sure another manufacturer will also announce their own track system soon....maybe within 24 hours.

So punters will have another choice on where to spend their dollars.

Choice is good isnt it?
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Dave,

I’ve mentioned it a couple of times already in this topic about exactly what I mean. Let me be more specific.

I’m not advocating a cartel lock out. That would be ridiculous. I am suggesting that (from my POV) there is enough choice in track system types already. It’s a piece of plastic with two metal rails in. The problem is that different makers choose, or want, to make their systems non-interchangeable. That does not make sense in such a small industry. Ease of interoperability can help promote a product rather than isolate it. IN MY OPINION, at this stage in the cycle of slot cars sales, I feel there should be some consolidation rather than division.

Earlier in this topic I raised the issue about diluting sales from other brands and I made a specific point that said that ADDITIONAL buyers had to be found in order to support additional full set sales from another ‘ready to play’ boxed set supplier. If no additional buyers are found through a mega advertising campaign in North America AND Policar is successful in its quest then sales will be lost from either Carrera or Scalextric. The point I made was that this will not be good news for either of those brands and that will upset further the general health of the hobby. However, if Maurizio does deliver a crushing blow to Carrera or Scalextric then that is great business for him and we’ll all say “well done”.

Finally, the repetition of molds of ‘already done’ models is something that has been proven to be sustainable. That’s just not the question we’re on about here. You only need one track but you can have 100’s and 100’s of models. All of them Mustangs/Camaros and Javelins if you like – but only if they’ll run on your specific track.

Anyhow, Munter is correct. More great news is being announced, (today I think). Another track set system to be released. Some competition for Policar, perhaps. Can’t say the maker just yet because as at 4:05am (UK time) I don’t see the info online yet. I dare say the full info will get posted shortly. For now we can only guess about its features. Will it be gray in color? Three lanes? Have adapter plates to link into Carrera/Scalextric/NINCO/SCX/Policar? Will it be quad-digital, one chip does all? Will it be made of balsa wood or recycled car tires? Anything could be on the cards.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Jules,

I am confused, is it Dear, dear, dearest Dave. I love you really Chief or just Dave?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Great discussion guys. Valid points on both sides, albeit from different perspectives and experiences. If Anki and DMX, and the some other company which I can't remember right now, can come out with their idea of slot car then there's nprobably room for this. And who knows; maybe slot cars will become more popular again sometime soon.
carlosinseattle

Postby JULES » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Well spotted Brian. A continuity error.

On the other hand, if I'm writing complete BS then I think the greeting may have to be upgraded to Mister Kennedy in future. Let's see how fate turns out.

It's all discussed in the best possible 'back at you' fashion, naturally. Argumentative but reasonably good natured it should and will remain, of course. All of us that have been knocking about in this business for a while know some stuff about some things but not everything about everything. That's what is apparent in these sorts of debates. Healthy enough as far as I am concerned but some readers may think it's getting prickly.

We can only say what we know according to our experiences and knowledge. This particular topic has opened back up some thoughts on had on interoperability that I voiced 6 or 7 years ago. My views have not changed. In fact, many of the predictions I made about the industry back then have become true - enough to harden my resolve to attempt more consolidation - purely from a common sense point of view. Overall, the business of slot cars has not improved - as far as I can tell anyhow. That’s my stance and that's how I see it, currently.

All the best,

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:01 am

Could that new track announcement be from Scaleauto?
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... pic=172994
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 am

Interesting points of view for sure. Most I agree with even if they seem to be contradictory.

I have learned sales success has very little to do with engineering design. The market place is controlled by Marketing and distribution. Those that do this well succeed. Now you add in the uncertainty of the best sales outlets? Brick and Mortar?, Amazon? The whole face of retail is changing whether it is slot cars are shoes. I don't think anyone knows for sure how this will all shake out.

To counter Jules point about taking up more space on a retail shelf. That could be old world thinking. Perhaps they have little intention of looking for distributors. Maybe their market model is to hit the big Costco outlets at Christmas with support year round from a strong internet presence.

I also agree with Dave K that most forums do not represent the biggest segment of this hobby. Carrera Go is a money maker. GO! has the greatest sale success, yet how many people on this forum or others even talk about GO!

There are so many uncertainties in the market place going forward, I am not sure you can make any general comments of how the future of this hobby shakes out or who the major player will be. A good product with mass distribution online by Amazon and Christmas sales at Costco may be enough to create a market

A point I find very interesting is the one brought forward about 3 lane track. Done right you could run all the scales on it. 3 lane racing in 143 and 132, and two lane racing in 1/24. This would at least have the competitive advantage of being " different and new"
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 am

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oceanview » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 am

And the Scaleauto track is the same lane spacing as Carrera and says they will be making adapters for joining up with the "German" track.
oceanview

Postby oceanview » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:45 am

Actually 1mm wider in the lane spacing
oceanview

Postby carlosinseattle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Dave Kennedy was right when he said you need track to sell slot car sets. Funny thing is in some areas club racing is far more popular than home racing. But I much prefer home racing, or racing in a buddy's garage than going to a central location. This is VERY interesting!!

Another thing about who uses forums. I'm in contact with about 50 slot car guys locally, from HO rug racers to dedicated 1/24 scale racers. Less than 15 ever use ANY slot car related forum, and only 5-6 are on the forums regularly, including myself. Ironically some of the most dedicated racers in Alan's club literally never use any forum, they just race.
carlosinseattle

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Correct. In a way.

Most simply READ. Search. But never bother to join or post.

It's just plastic track. Not sure what is expected for it to "do".

The adaptor sections are smart. A digital standard compatibility across brands would be smarter. We should learn the lessons from the model train industry.

But hey, the hobby is dying according to the West Coast Authority, so all of this isn't really happening.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 pm

I still don't get it. Just looks like more of the same to me. Not really much difference in the design and function of any of this track then in the Strombecker track from 1963. Better production, better materials, but still does the same thing in the same way.

Who really thinks there will be any targeted marketing of any of this in North America? No doubt the marketing plans for all of this (if there are any) are for Europe, America is probably not in the equation.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 pm

"America is probably not in the equation."

According to certain "market experts" that is the case. We are "tiny".

If the price of the track is relative to the price of the cars? Dead player. Just like the cars. A very small % compared to other performance brands.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby carlosinseattle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... pic=172994

Hey Jesla, is this what you were talking about? Look at what Scaleauto is saying about their new track. Maybe you have a point about toy vs. not a Toy...
Last edited by carlosinseattle on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlosinseattle

PreviousNext

Return to Slot Car News!