CG Slotcars off to the races @ INDY

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

CG Slotcars off to the races @ INDY

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am

Our series is running at the brickyard this weekend on the road course.
It's touted as the largest gathering of open wheel race cars in the world - and includes everything from formula Vee to fords - to our cars - to US Formula 4 up to formula one and Indy..... Should be an amazing event in a very historic spot... (the following weekend will be bigger with sedans...But nobody lets me drive one of those!)

If anyone had plans to attend - or may attend now - please drop me a line and find me during the weekend!
First person to find me gets a Carrera Ford GT chassis in Microcarbon..... and I'll have extra bits as well....

I'm there from Wednesday onward.... So any dinner suggestions are welcome!

I'll be driving this weekend - so I'll be busy - but always enjoy meeting fellow slot heads..... :auto-checkeredflag:
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: CG Slotcars off to the races @ INDY

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 am

I heard about your series from Steve. Good luck and will look for some photo action :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SlotCarCorner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:36 am

Good luck Matt - we'll be cheering for you! Keep the car on the track with the shiny side up!!

:auto-driving:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 am

St. Elmo's Steak House is incredible, you must try the shrimp cocktail. It's downtown and with in walking distance of most hotels and you may want a reservation (317) 333-7601. Large group reservation chat with Kristen.
I'm working on a driver for you guys in the future. Good Luck at Indy
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:30 am

There are some interesting places on Main St. just south of the Speedway. But the Foyt Wine Vault just doesn't seem appropriate.
Dallara and Ed Carpenter Racing are also in the neighborhood.
The old Gasoline Alley where all the constructors and teams were located looked like it had fallen on hard times when I drove through there two years ago.

If you have time. Look through the old Robin Miller column on Racer.com. He mentioned some places where the racers and other in-the-groove guys hang out.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Best of Luck Matt, it is calling for a scorcher of a weekend so wear your cool suit.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby dge467 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Have fun! Good luck!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Rleog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:08 pm

F2000 Qualifying session 1 on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course just finished and it looks like Matt qualified 7th of 22 entrants. There appears to be a 2nd qualifying session tomorrow morning, then a qualifying race tomorrow afternoon, and a championship race Sunday.

I'm not familiar with the race logistics, but he seems to have the Radon fairly well sorted.

Hopefully he'll look in here sometime and give us his impressions of this formula car festival at Indy.

Results posted on the Race Monitor app.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:28 am

Another update:

Qualifying session 2 just finished and Matt was 3rd, 0.146 seconds off pole.

From a text this morning: "We started to fight an overheating issue yesterday. We changed everything last night - radiators and added some insulation around the headers. Got very hot."

Looks better.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 am

Update on yesterday's action:

The team seems to have the major issues sorted out. The "Qualifying Race" (don't ask me about this format. You'll need an explanation from Matt later) was run yesterday afternoon and Matt finished second, 0.01" arrears.

His text: "Tires went away at about halfway. Our car is a rocket in a straight line - so I was able to fend off a few charges. Last one caught me out and went side by side to finish....Aero took over and I started to get back by - but too late. Another 30 feet I would have won."

The "Championship Race" is today at 2:30. If you have the Race Monitor app, open the 'SVRA Championships at Indy' tag on the left border. Search for action in Group 6, that's where the F2000 results will be listed.

Edit....Sunday evening

Interesting, eventful Championship race. Matt will have to tell it when he's next online.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 am

Bob C - you were right! It was hot.... A little too hot for our car!

Bob G - Thanks for keeping the thread alive! :)

Our weekend was ok - it's tough to complain about being at the world center of speed, surrounded by so much history. I wish things had gone a little better for us - but that's the way it goes sometimes. The heat definitely surfaced some issues we'll need to address - from engine cooling to the tire temps..... We had the car trimmed out with almost no wing and some aero gizzmo's to help us along... Top speed on the front straight was 144mph.... Little slower than a few weeks ago @ Indy.

To recap the second race - Started second again. I was hit from behind on the start at turn 1 and it broke my rear wing and put a small cut in a tire...... I was very lucky to keep going! I ran in second for a while and then started to fall back as the tire deflated and wear became an issue with no rear wing (well - it was partly there....) Here is what the end of Sunday looked like.... Ended up 4th

There were 351 formula cars racing within the walls of the speedway in many different groups - it was crazy. I'm not sure how many times I said "wow"...... This coming weekend is the event for fendered cars - and the expect well over 450 vintage cars.
Like this one.....Image

So needless to say - I found my next project.......
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Slot Car News!