What happened to the Professor Motor/Monogram Program?

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

What happened to the Professor Motor/Monogram Program?

Postby Mayberryman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:08 am

I remember hearing the much publicized event of Professor Motor getting the production rights to Monogram 1/32 scale slot cars. I seem to remember statements about the old Monogram products would go back into production with improvements that would be made to make them more competitive. I was very happy because Monogram did have some very good looking bodies, however, quite a few were not competitive with the podded cars. My question is that plan on hold, has it been abandoned or is there a date we can expect this to happen?

I am beginning to think that The New Monogram cars are following along the same line as The New Magnet Marshal and seeing Richard Simmons on TV, again.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: What happened to the Professor Motor/Monogram Program?

Postby Mitch58 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 am

Yeah, I/we here in the NW had heard the same rumor. I agree, they make some of the nicest bodies in the business. but without the magnet they can be made to run mediocre at best. Except when they used the Monogram version of the sebring chassis, they weren't bad.
Last edited by Mitch58 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 am

You never hear about it anymore..I guess it might not happen. Too bad because those NASCAR cars are cool beans.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 am

I would expect that relaunching the Revell/Monogram brand would be a far more difficult task than most people realize. Just doing that with the cars as they are now would not be easy, especially for just one person. Perhaps someone will contact PM and see if any progress has been made.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:08 am

One of the pieces of collateral damage to the PM/Revogram deal was that MRRC, who used to market cars that used the Monogram bodies, was cut out. You can't purchase complete slot cars that use the Monogram bodies from MRRC any more and that's too bad, because they did a pretty good job with them. So, far, it's a lose:lose scenario for the 1/32 scale slot car hobby. Let's see if anything ever comes out of the original PM plans; if I recall correctly, they were going to put their own chassis under the Monogram bodies. They certainly put the disruption part of the plan into action, but no signs yet of the construction part yet. Perhaps RichD is right; appetite in excess of means.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 am

One of the things that has kept me connected to and a customer of Pioneer, throughout their manufacturing issues, was there was some level of transparency. Having Jules chime in on this site from time to time gave me some degree of comfort as to what was planned. I have a bunch of Revelogram cars and 3 MRRC cars, and was pleasantly surprised by the Sebring chassis' performance when compared with peer RTR cars. I would like to see some PM versions of these cars, but have nothing to be optimistic about so far.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby JULES » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 am

I did have cause to speak to Andy Smith at Prof Motor about a year ago. Out of curiousity, I quizzed him about the relaunch of the Revell/Monogram models. Back then, it was still a plan and I don't know if any progress has been made.

Personally speaking, it would be nice to see some of the old models resurrected but I'm only to well aware of the time and expense that would be involved in effectively starting a new brand because they would not be Revell or Monogram models.

Jules
@ Pioneer
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Slot Car News!