[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Slot.it DTM Series

The Slot.it DTM Series

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

The Slot.it DTM Series

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:08 am

According to my email, this is information from Slot.it:

This new breed of Slot.it racers includes the finest reproduction of the amazing cars that raced in the German Championship in early years '90.
Cars will be sold as inline, with a new motor (MX15, 21000 RPM / 150g*cm @12V) and motor pod (inline offset 0.5), and are all compatible with our own revolutionary clutched 4wd system.

Alfa Romeo and Opel Calibra (expected Q1 2017) are just the beginning, as more exciting models are planned for the years to come.

The first model is the Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI that raced on the legendary Nordschleife, driven by former Formula 1 driver Alessandro Nannini.

Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI n.7 Nordschleife DTM 1993
Driver: Alessandro Nannini
Code: CA35a
New motor MX15
New Inline motor mount CH110

Now a little debate:

My first impression of this series when it was announced was less than enthusiastic.
Purely a personal taste impression. I'm not sure, but I can't imagine a more unappealing series to create other than a Rally based car or yet another Porsche 99etc.

Then again, I have felt this way about plenty of other series out there. Yet when I finally have one and discover how much fun it is to drive? The appeal begins to grow. The NINCO F1 series of cars tops that list. Unappealing at first glance, but the action on the track had us racing the tires off them. (still do)

I like the time period. It's good to see the 90's era as it's a time period many can relate with. We can all talk about cars from the 50's and 60's, and although I like them very much, I can't relate first hand. Wasn't around in the 50's and was just a tad young in the 60's :)

So the time period works for me, just not this series. Yet?

The car is inline and I like that setup. Some don't. 4WD compatible makes sense. All the work invested in this system and now another series where it can be used.

For simple home racing, the platform sounds good. I might not care for all the models Slot.it has produced but they all have one common theme: Quality. Seems no matter what car I take from the case, most of them run pretty smoothly and need very little tuning to enjoy (non-magnet).

So what do you think? Are you looking forward to these new models?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: The Slot.it DTM Series

Postby eAddict » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 am

"So what do you think? Are you looking forward to these new models?"

I love DTM racing ... wish it would come to the states. I have most other manufacturers DTMs and would love to be able to convince our local club to race the series. Maybe this will do it.
eAddict

Postby goosenapper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 am

As I understand these Alfas, while the street cars had a 4WD option, all of the race cars were 4WD. It's odd that Slot.it would not incorporate their new 4WD system in to this model directly, rather than merely allowing the option. Perhaps that is a result of club-racing feedback on the Audis? :think: I like it on the Audi that I spent $65 for, and was looking forward to it here, but am not going to drop $60 on this car and then install another $20+ for the 4WD system.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby steeveew » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:57 am

I can't wait for these cars.My favorite era of the DTM series.

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 am

DTM was very popular here until Speed Channel was bought by the Octopus. We lost so much when that happened. I think this is a good series and I would participate if the group wanted to run them weekly, like we used to do, but after 3 false starts in that sort of thing I will wait and see about what these guys are going to do. I would buy them anyway, except they cost so much more than they did when I was amassing a big collection. These days Carrera is usually the only game in town for me. Slot.it's quality is solid and probably worth the cost, I just can't justify it if the group flakes out and doesn't run what they agreed to run.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Although I am more into building than buying, I am looking forward to see how this line develops, and may buy if a car strikes my fancy. Slot.it cars are consistently raceable and although it makes modelling sense to offer 4WD on those cars, it really doesn't make racing sense. The only 4WD Audi in our club has been changed to 2WD by removing the belt. It simply runs better on our no-mag, routed tracks.

Therefore, I appreciate that the model is available without 4WD. A compromise would be to also offer it in 4WD for less than it would cost to do it yourself. This is similar to the analog/digital offerings. A friend of mine just ordered a 1/24 Carrera that was digital, because the car is not available in analog. His first tuning job was stripping out the digital electronics. This is the opposite problem to the car in question, but an analog offering as well would have been better.

I agree that this is a range of cars that needs to be offered by Slot.it. Previous offering of these cars have definitely been harder to prepare for racing.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm like Keith in that I like to build, but the prospect of these DTM cars has me excited.

It was a great series in full-scale at the time, and also to a degree was the beginning of the type of slot cars we see now, as the early Ninco and Fly offerings of these cars were (to me) the cars that started the raising of the bar in terms of detail and looks.

As an Alfista from way back (I ran a GT Junior back in the late '70s and early '80s), I am salivating for the first release!

And when it comes to 4WD, I think that the issue is there's not really enough horsepower in our cars to make the 4WD necessary or useful. The concept that Slot.it have used was copied from 1/8 scale nitro-powered RC cars, where the amount of available horsepower easily overcomes the available traction, and the 4WD system helps stabilize the car. Those cars have more than enough power to overcome the extra friction created by the belt drive and the front wheel driveshafts and bearings. Our 1/32 cars do not, so even though we may get better traction off the turns, the loss of straightline speed is a problem.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:09 pm

They will be in stock next Friday along with the white kit. I myself really wish they had gone with the more modern series like Carrera is doing. Never really a fan of that body style but I am sure I will end up getting one. Any new class is always a good thing.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 am

Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indybob009 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:05 pm

indybob009

Postby scatman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 pm

scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Wish they would come out with at least another model at the same time so you have something to race against.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:52 pm

As a first in the saloon car category from Slot.it, I welcome this. Although I probably won't be interested in this particular car, I look forward to checking out others that may come later.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:19 pm

This car should be in stock tomorrow and it doesn't look like they will have another one till late in the year.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Look what arrived today!

No tools or track unpacked yet so i cant give a review on this, but from what i can tell so far is its another great slot.it!

Ill be runninv it thursday night at club night with the mn guys and report back then :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Next

Return to Slot Car News!