Flyslot "Alcohol" F1 Williams

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Flyslot "Alcohol" F1 Williams

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Seen in the MRE newsletter, thought some of you might enjoy them.

The first two in a series of four Limited Edition Williams FW08 'alcohol' cars. Finished in matt black and with anonymous plain black drivers helmets, these are the Martini and Miller Beer cars.

Check with your favorite stockist on pricing/availability as always.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Flyslot "Alcohol" F1 Williams

Postby chappy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Yep it has the angled motor and the funky transmission.
But there is an easy fix for it which works great.
All you need is a pin vise and a bit of lube.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 26, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm mystified. What are these cars supposed to represent? Was there ever a group of F-1s that looked like that, with the extremely short wheelbase and flat black paint?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chappy » Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 pm

The liveries are Fantasy , and produced for a special customer, I think they are ltd editions , something like 250 of each. The bodies are as acurate as Fly gets , likely the same as the Senna one .
Dave I will try and find the post, I think I posted about it already, but will look and see if I can find it to
re attach to this thread.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chappy » Thu May 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Here it is Dave
Bob

Re: Flyslot Williams FW08C

by chappy » June 8th, 2014, 11:05 am

I received my new Senna car and as others have stated the aesthetic quality is definitely lacking.
The driver figure is as Harry pointed out sitting to high, and imho a bit on the chubby side.
For the rivet counters it definitely misses the mark.
When I put it on my wood track, it actually ran well, although not on the pace of the Lotus and March models.
As with my other Williams cars with the strange gearbox configuration, I felt this was the problem in speed and smooth quiet running. What to do?
A while back when trying to achieve parity between the 3 cars, I set to work on the Williamsgearbox.
One thing that is obvious is the friction created by the design. The gearbox alone has a large surface over the first driven gear, and the successive gears creat more friction. Then the axle and sleeve even more, and the axle into the bushing more again.
All of this seems to add up to excessive surfacefriction at a number of different spots.
How to reduce the friction?
I first took the gearbox out, a fairly easy operation with 2 screws holding it in place. The gear comes apart in 2 pieces. I then took my pin vise and started to drill holes through the empty gear box using a small bit, sorry I cant recall the size. I went from top to bottom and side to side in about 5 or 6 areas.
I then cleaned out the plastic burrs created within the gearbox by my drilling.
This did 2 things, reduced the surface area inside the gearbox creating less friction, and gave me some extra lube points. 
Next was the two angle gears , but there was not a lot to do there except check for good lash and remove any flash from the molding process.
Now onto the axle with the sleeve. The main purpose of the sleeve is to act as a spacer from what I could see.
So it was a tight fit on the axle , and to loosen it up I used the same technique as I did on thegearbox.
it loosened the sleeve up a bit and gave some more spots for lube.
Next onto, the bushings, andnthe intakes .
Again I used the pin vise to creat less surface area therby reducing friction and allowing better lube access.
So after all this what did I find.
I now had a Williams which was faster, smoother and closer to parity with the Lotus and March.
I also still had pretty good braking as there is still more friction surface than on the other 2 cars.
It worked for me and only took about 10 minutes to accomplish.
It didnt effect the strenght of the gearbox or other parts.
So there you have it, my solution to improvement on the Williams and the strange gearbox set up.
Bob

The future is in our hands, choose wisely

chappyHRW SlotCar Veteran! 1906 September 28th, 2012, 7:22 pm Ontario Canada
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Yes, that explains a lot. Thanks.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby JESIV » Fri May 27, 2016 7:39 am

Well I was excited when these were announced, but seeing the pictures I'm not nearly as eager to have one. I do think they'd make great $25 cars, but I doubt Flyslot agrees with me. Perhaps these will be the kind of cars that look much better in person.
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Fri May 27, 2016 8:00 am

I'm not that well informed about that period of F-1 racing but after checking google images the slot car bears little resemblance to the actual car to me. They're not going to get any of my money for that monstrosity.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DManley » Fri May 27, 2016 12:14 pm

I tried comparing pics too. The real car is actually about as stumpy and ugly as the Fly version! The bad detail on the wings, and the fantasy liveries don't do anything for me. Add that to a car that has Fly quality mechanical gear, and can not be adapted to conventional replacement parts and I'll pass too. If they were really cheap, I might get a couple to repaint, buy some slim cans and try scratchbuilding a chassis for them, but I'm guessing that the combination of the words "Fly", "Limited" and "Edition" will mean they are priced like shelf queens.
DManley

Postby Billy boy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:41 pm

They made 250 each? Sounds like too many
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Yes only 250 of each, but remember they were made for a particular client.
The ones to hit the open market are very likely going to a lot less in numbers than 250.
I suspect that the value in them will be as a collector due to rarity , and not a racer.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 31, 2016 7:27 am

"I'm mystified. What are these cars supposed to represent? Was there ever a group of F-1s that looked like that, with the extremely short wheelbase and flat black paint?"

So all of these Fly cars that are alcohol liveries likely were made for GTSlots (Great Traditions on Ebay). You've seen a lot of this special fantasy livery which are being made for Rich. DON'T read anything more into what they are other than Fly making special livery cars for them for prize cars and cars to sell to fun racing.
I haven't asked Rich if these cars are made for him but I'd be willing to bet they are.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby chappy » Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 am

You may very well be right Dave.
What I do know is that a very limited number of these will hit the public market.
So out of the 250, it depends how many the client has requored for his purpose.
The balance will then be going to stores.
Again I see them as a more collectible than actual race car.
I would imagine that there is a minimum run to have a car liveried for special purposes.
250 may be the minimum as I have seen other Fly special liveries with only 250 made.
Pendles have 4 types of them advertised , 2 liveries in stock now and 2 more on pre order.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 am

I know Rich personally and I've worked with him on several projects. I made the green SCX Cuda for him. He's talked with us about doing a car (Carrera I mean) and I've talked with him about decorations on other cars he's done (the Racer cars he's done, the other Fly cars he's done). He gets all of the production of a livery so he can help pay for the production run of the cars. They only have maximum value if he has all the cars of a livery which is why the run is low (250). He does this ONLY for the collector market, that's the point.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 am

So i just talked with Rich and I was wrong. After shooting my mouth off about what these might be.. they're not cars for GTslots. They're normal production cars. The cars that were marked as "North American Championship" cars were made for GTslots. I wanted to make it clear that I was wrong about this. So please forgive my.... :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Next

Return to Slot Car News!