[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Carrera Mustang

New Carrera Mustang

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: New Carrera Mustang

Postby DManley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32 pm

I have the Mustang and Corvette in the "Patriotic" schemes from several years ago. Will this car and the black release of the Corvette be the same as mine, or are the magnets and motors different? I could use some running mates for the ones I have, even though they weren't the fastest cars around. I took the rear bar magnets out, but left the sliding ones in the middle of the chassis in. This makes them "Semi Magnet" cars, I guess. They seem to be fun drives on the Artin track and fairly predictable once you get everything trued up, run in and fine tuned. I like to turn newbies loose with the Mustang and Corvette before they try driving a non magnet car. They're not as stuck down as most cars are, but they are still more forgiving than a non magnet car. In truth, they are just fun to drive really hard, side by side, sliding around a bit, but still stuck down a little bit. They are getting some Paul Gage tires next week and a whole new lease on life. Glad to see them still around.

I'll add this one to the list of Carrera cars I have to have!
DManley

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:29 am

Ok so i'm not 100% sure but when the Sting Ray and Mustang were released during the "Patriotic" livery era we used the e100 motors and sometimes used front motors AND the cars had either sliding or adjustable magnets so there was quite a bit that was different as far as parts and design. Now we only have non adjustable magnets (with the current chassis design) we only use the e200 motor (except in cases where we have cars that dont' have enough space inside then we use the slimcan motor-917k, F1, etc) and all cars have a rear, inline design.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:50 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:57 am

DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby DManley » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks for the advice. My Patriotic Mustang and Vette might be a bit different because they have the rear magnets removed. (Back in the day, we ran a class for the old Carrera vintage NASCAR models with the rear magnets removed. It made for some really intense driving and close racing. We also ran the american muscle cars with the rear bar magnet removed for one season.) The funny thing is my Mustang must be a ringer and/or my Corvette must be a dud, because I just dug out a printout from my old layout and saw this. Fastest lap, Yellow Lane Mustang; 6.07 Corvette 6.06 White lane... Mustang; 5.91 Corvette 5.88 Blue lane Mustang 5.97 Corvette 5.99 Red Lane Mustang 6.13 Corvette 6.18. The cars were run for three or five minute segments in each lane and six sessions were run, so each car had 24 minutes per lane to tally up fast laps. I remember the 'Vette really didn't like going through the second hairpin in the red lane. The Mustang just flicked out its tail and shot off in the other direction, where the 'Vette wanted to rock and deslot a bit. I sure wish I could drive that consistently now! Both cars were box stock with stock motors and gears. Wheels were sanded, trued and aligned on the axle. Axles were straight, bushings were aligned and polished. Gears were broken in (Especially by the final segments! Tires were glued and trued on the axle, and the fronts were also coated with nail polish. Axles were installed with shims and the guides were adjusted with shims. It looks like I had to sand the guide post on both cars just a very little bit. (Flash?) The Mustang does have the tires sanded down a bit more than the Corvette, which may explain why their times were closer.

I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of Cobras, and a pair of Cheetahs, so I might grab the black Corvette to go with the Cobras. I see there is another Mustang available, so if I do Mustangs, I will get a pair of new ones. If I buy two of the black Corvettes, can I swap the body on one of them with my Patriotic version, or did they make changes to the mounts? This way, I could keep my old one running, but have two matched new ones with different colors. (Nothing worse than trying to race two identically painted cars against each other!)

Thanks again for your input on these cars. I am glad to see the Corvettes and Cobras are a nice out of the box match for each other.
DManley

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:22 am

yes i believe a body swap would work. but i must be honest I don't have the older one to do the swap so i hope i'm not telling you something that's not correct.
We would have the parts for the older cars in stock still i believe. for that timeframe (early-mid 2000's) they WAY over ordered on many parts so we do have a lot of axles available and tires available.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Previous

Return to Slot Car News!