[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Difalco Controller Updates

New Difalco Controller Updates

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

New Difalco Controller Updates

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks to fellow HRW reader Peter, I heard a new version of the 1/32 DD series controller is upon us.

Then Jim at Difalco sent in a note to confirm the changes.

Both the DD300 (17 band)and DD301 (30 band) versions are changed. The heatsink was changed and moved in the handle and the main wires are also upgraded.

We should one in a couple weeks to review, but I am certain these changes just made a great controller better.

Thanks Jim at Difalco and Peter for the great news.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: New Difalco Controller Updates

Postby midmoslts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 pm

I'll be watching as I have been thinking about these for my track. After using them on your track I have been thinking they may be the way to go. My reserve is that we like to run such a vast variety of cars from 1/32 stock to hot 1/24 commercial cars and I fear that may be to much to ask of any one controller.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 pm

I know with the interchangeable diode modules , you get quite a variety of performance levels.
I dont know how this will work as you say with the rtr and hot cars from 32 and 24 scale, but I have run 24 and 32 with no issues. But not the really hot motors.
They sure are great controllers though. Id be lost with out mine now.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby midmoslts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm

You know it amazes me just how often the old Parma's need to be worked on. I have some that I bought new and they still needed repairs in what seemed like a short amount of time. Then when you think about it, on my track I have 5 turns. That is 5 times you work the trigger for every lap. 100 laps is 500 cycles of the trigger. I will run hundreds if not thousands of laps some weekends. That's a lot to ask of a wiper arm dragging on a resistor. Every wipe is grinding away a small part so it's amazing they hold up as well as they do. If nothing else not having to have 12 controllers to have 4 of this and 4 of that so we can run whatever cars we want would be huge in itself.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:11 pm

That is one of the benefits of the circuit board design. Although it uses a standard contact brush on the trigger arm, it has much less friction.

The open design feature of the Difalco over fully enclosed PM controllers is one of the other benefits. You are going to have to perform cleaning from time to time. With this design it's painless.

Just some 1500 or finer grit wet sand paper slipped in between the board and contact allows you to pull the trigger and quickly clean the contact. Using the fine grit really polished the contact and creates a super smooth trigger action.

Almost a year and a half on our track and the contacts show almost zero wear. Same for the board facing.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby midmoslts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:26 pm

It has to be much easier on the button and the bands on the board as you are pulling little current through it in comparison to the resistor designee. The current being pulled through the contacting surfaces during the travel increases arcing and that contributes to the increase in required cleaning and problems with continuity.

Well that's my take on it anyway.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:30 pm

Ha. I just noticed a place for a choke button. Man do I need that. I do sometimes choke when the racing is tight. Nice to know that they make a button to help with that little problem. That is what it's for, right?
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Correct. One of the biggest issues with the resistor type is the heat produced, combined with direct friction.

Many of us have coated the resistor with nail polish all around it (except the face of course) to help keep the coil wind secure. The heat plus friction from the contact can easily loosen the wind and then? Poof :)

Email Jim directly or Steve at SCC. Find out the suggestions they have for the higher end motors. As the folks have said, this one runs a large range. Might be the ticket for 95% of the cars. The take all the parts I just sent Tom home with in his new "Toy Chest" and build some for the hotter options. Should be handles, triggers, etc in there.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BIG E » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am

As I've posted many times before, I use slightly modified PARMA Turbo controllers, many which are almost as smooth as a digital unit after a little extra "TLC" during the assembly process. Most of them have cut down frames and single barrel resistors so they will fit into my classic Russkit and early PARMA handles. Since I race many different types of slot cars from nearly stock original AURORA Thunderjet 500 HO cars to 1/24 scale hard body drag, oval, and road race cars, I've got quite a few different controllers set up for racing. Of course, ohms are ohms, so a 60 ohm controller that I use for T-Jet HO racing can be used just as well with a 1/32 scale car, the same 25 ohm controller I use for road racing modern HO inline magnet cars I use on the HO drag strip for T-Jets and other HO cars, ect. My question is this - what is the resistance range (ohms) that these new electronic controllers can be dialed into? From 1 ohm to at least 100 (or better yet, 120) ohms would cover my varied racing needs.
I know Jim DiFalco has made a quality product for many years, but I've never purchased an electronic controller for two reasons:
1) - I like the feel of my vintage looking Russkit/Parma hybrid controllers.
2) - Many of the large scale races that I've won or placed on the podium I've been the only guy in the field with a ceramic resistor controller (which adds an extra bit of personal satisfaction), so why change?
I did put together a small auxiliary box that I can insert into the brake circuit should I need to dial back the dynamic braking, but I almost never use it. And when racing on larger scale ovals, I may use two or three different controllers as I move from the inside lanes to the outside. For example - on an 8 lane commercial Tri-Oval I may use a 4 ohm on the inner 2 or 3 lanes, a 3 ohm on the middle lanes and then finish with a 2 or 2/12 ohm on the two outside lanes).
I know, why carry a bag of controllers when one digital electronic unit and maybe a backup will perform just as well (or better)? The answer is simple - I enjoy using those cool metalflake and other colored Russkit handles, and I don't like all of the electronic "baggage" that's hanging out or off most modern digital units. I realize that if you put the two on a meter that the digital one is technically superior, but I'm just plain having a lot more FUN with my old school stuff!
Hey man, what ever you're most comfortable with, use it... Enjoy!! -- Ernie :>)

*Sorry this got so long, but you get the idea, right? -- E :>)
Last edited by BIG E on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KRSPete » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am

I bought these from Jim's E-bay listing, just couldn't beat his offer with the choice of custom paint.
The paint is inside the clear Parma handles so there is no fear of easily chipping it up. If it wasn't for Harry's review & test , PitRow/Difalco/DifalcoController.html I probably wouldn't have considered them and would have stuck with the several different OHM rating Parma sets that I already have.
As far as what hangs from the handle goes there are only three 40" wires nicely braided, all silver 12ga.? & very flexible, with standard color coded alligator clips.
http://www.difalcoonline.com/ Jim's website has more info on the why's and how's between HO,1/32,1/24 and Drag Racing . What do I know I'm just havin' fun & playing
Pete
KRSPete

Postby SlotCarCorner » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:55 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Return to Slot Car News!