Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Article about Slot Cars, LA Times

Postby scatman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 am

Tony
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Article about Slot Cars, LA Times

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 am

Cannot say I agree with some of those comments. Our hobby isn’t based entirely on nostalgia nor is it “dying”. I have heard that since before I started the website.

Still here, still going.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Oscar Racing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am

It is B.S. I am only 52....
Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am

The hobby moved from commercial centers to home raceways.
With the internet you can get parts from anywhere. With a 3D printer you can make your own. Or with wood and latex.....which is beyond my poor abilities.
There are lots of racers....but fewer club racers, and even fewer commercial track racers.
I don't know that it's dying except in the sense of the original brick and mortar raceways.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fitzy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 am

I don't believe this hobby is dying at all I would agree that a lot of us here might have some gray hair and there isn't as many commercial Raceway's anymore but take a look at what's available for slot car racers now track system's, cars, kits, aftermarket performance parts, how many slot car magazines are available most of them in digital form now, the invent of the internet I believe has connected slot car enthusiast better than ever before look at what we see and learn on Home Racing World nobody had access to all of this in 1965 and they sure didn't have 3D printers racers at my track range from 21 to 53 Slot Car Racing is Alive and Well.
Fitzy

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 am

The hobby is different then it used to be for sure.

As far as "dying" goes. All craft based hobbies are in decline, and I don't see slot cars as being different. I don't have the facts, but my gut tells me if you track the average age of slot car hobbyists, the trend would be upward. The bright spot in all of this for the future is the crossover between slot cars and device apps. Models are appealing to all, that I know for sure. I miniature replica of something has an appeal to most people, I don't care what age you are. If you can tap into that youth market who has their faces buried in their Ipads that allows them to mix their device and model cars that move, I believe you have a good chance of sustaining this hobby better then others.

I have tried all hobbies, and there is something about slot cars that keeps drawing me in. I think the modeling and the relative easy of driving the cars is appealing. RC racing IMO is just too darn involved for most people who just want to kick back and enjoy themselves for an hour in the evening. Slot cars are very time and cost effective compared to other hobbies( IMO of course)
Last edited by BARC 1 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:27 am

This Hobby IS NOT DIEING want to know how I know :?:

I make the Tire Razor its a little machine that trues tires on slot cars, for most of the folks that purchase a tire truer its a 1 time thing, most racers only have 1 truer its all we need right. I have been spending 22 hours in the shop on weekends and every available second building Razors since before the season started and I had to miss Harrys Fun Run to get 4 machines out this weekend.

I'm sold out for next weeks batch and its just Monday this is being a very busy year :music-rockout:

I'm telling you someone is buying these up and its not just the old guys, they got theirs years ago, everyday we get new folks. :text-welcomewave:

Take this small spot to thank everyone that allowed me to build you a Razor, its truely a labor of love, for the hobby and you guys in it :text-thankyouyellow:

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am

RazorJon wrote:This Hobby IS NOT DIEING want to know how I know :?:

I make the Tire Razor its a little machine that trues tires on slot cars, for most of the folks that purchase a tire truer its a 1 time thing, most racers only have 1 truer its all we need right. I have been spending 22 hours in the shop on weekends and every available second building Razors since before the season started and I had to miss Harrys Fun Run to get 4 machines out this weekend.

I'm sold out for next weeks batch and its just Monday this is being a very busy year :music-rockout:

I'm telling you someone is buying these up and its not just the old guys, they got theirs years ago, everyday we get new folks. :text-welcomewave:

Take this small spot to thank everyone that allowed me to build you a Razor, its truely a labor of love, for the hobby and you guys in it :text-thankyouyellow:

Well that is indeed a welcome bit of fact. I also think that 3D printing is drawing in more people as well. Slot cars are a good crossover hobby. IF you are a designer and like to build things with the new 3 D printing technology, slot cars make a good subject. Nice size build dimensions make them a natural for home based 3 D printing and design. Sort of a case where the real passion is in CAD design and technology, and this spills over into slot cars because the subject is appealing to most.
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 pm

It was pretty clear when I read the article that this guy isn't really interested in researching this subject. He writes about cars and motorcycles for a big paper, which means its awfully hard for him to avoid being a gossip columnist (our own Jenny has to fight against that when she writes her excellent website, The Car Aficionada. It takes discipline to write a good product). He was assigned the article because "cars" and "slot cars" share a word in the subject, that's it. He tried to find some grit for his fluff piece and betrayed his total lack of research by taking the wrong tack. It happens. My shredder doesn't get full all that fast, but I promise you, the same kind of dumb shortcut is 80% of what winds up there.

I am astonished that I have been around slot cars for well over 50 years. In previous posts on HRW, I learned that there a lot of us who have been around that long. I also know that in recent years, HRW has been picking up a lot of 20-30 year olds, and most exciting of all, we are increasingly treated to father-and-kids slot racers with home tracks. Grandfather and grandkids are great, but the future is in the memories these kids make with their dads at home. I am, as our UK members say, "well chuffed" for the hobby and its future.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm

and most exciting of all, we are increasingly treated to father-and-kids slot racers with home tracks. Grandfather and grandkids are great, but the future is in the memories these kids make with their dads at home.

Yes sir. :text-goodpost:
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BIG E » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 pm

It never fails... the newspaper calls and inquires about a show or other model/slot event and I get all excited, knowing the free advertising I'll get and the sharp rise in attendance figures. They interview me and/or other persons connected to the particular event, and then they go and print what the editor thinks the public wants to hear. It's happened a few times to me already, and it's VERY frustrating when reading the article in the paper for the first time. When I've called the "author" of the article, usually the same person that spent the better part of an hour on the phone with me a few weeks earlier, it's the same answer - the editor thought that the general public would better relate to the article if it was worded that way! The same goes for photos - last time, a staff assigned photog, who knew very much what she was doing, shot dozens of excellent photos, with one being the perfect cover shot for the story. So what did the editor order for the cover? A close up of my index finger on the roof of one of my 1/24 scale slot cars! Why?, I asked. Oh, the editor thought that would convey the difference in size between an actual person and a model/slot car to the unknowing public! Yeah, attendance was great that year, but man - did I have a lot of explaining to do to all the "unkowing public" that was stopping by my booth all day!

I guess any advertising is good advertising - just damn frustrating sometimes! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm

I just saved myself from the evening news with the Simpsons.
Then I read this piece, I had better creative non-fiction published when I was in college.

I forget who says it on HRW here but, Thanks, and keep on slotting folks, enjoy whats going on, its what we always wanted!!
Paul
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 am

NOW THAT'S FUNNY :angry-tappingfoot:
A new paper guy telling us our hobby isn't doing that well
:idea: He should worry :naughty: about his dinosaur of a paper, :o last time I looked
more and more people are getting there news from the interweb. :violence-stickwhack: :laughing-rolling:

bigman :flags-waveusa: BIG Fan of Slot Cars :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving:
bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 am

Well here's my 2 cents. They got the 60 thing right. Cause thats what I am. 60 years old. Been messing with slot cars all my life. I remember spending year after year in the pits with my dad and my brother , as my dad raced stock cars when I was a kid. I think that's what got me interested in slot cars. I have renewed my interest in them over the past year , to the point that I turned an old building in my back yard into my new slot car building. Completely remodeled inside and out. Rustic nostalgic interior , which is what I liked. I'm not a rich man , but I'm not a poor man either. I have spared no expense getting back into slots. And my wife just gives me a big smile , every week when I get back from the post office with boxes in hand. Still on a plastic 132\124 carerra , but I see that changing to a routed in the very near future. I have a granddaughter that spends every weekend with me , and a grandson on the way. The granddaughter can't wait to get in the slot car room every time she comes over. She has her own collection of mainly pink slot cars. Financed by grandad of course. I have no doubt the grandson will be the same way. And I hope they will enjoy slots all there life as I have , and remember all the times they spent with grandad in the slotcar building. Is slot cars a dieing hobby. Nope it isn't. I think the media got that one wrong too , as they usually do. Keep on slotting my friends !
rick42

Postby DaveKennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 pm

HomeRacingWorld wrote:Cannot say I agree with some of those comments. Our hobby isn’t based entirely on nostalgia nor is it “dying”. I have heard that since before I started the website.

Still here, still going.

The commercial track "business" did its best to kill it... they still have yet to.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Next

Return to Slot Car News!