Sideways Ford GT announced

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Re: Sideways Ford GT announced

Postby Jesla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 am

DaveKennedy wrote:Because the Carrera car serves a different market than the Sideways car. The numbers of cars they will bring in will be much lower in any case so theirs doesn't have to sell in big numbers i bet to sell well here.

Like I said.... Toys vs. Hobbiest
Slot on, Dudes.........1320 and counting.....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 am

chappyman66 wrote:Hey now...
There are at least 3 versions of the 2D. Elon did the open back early car, Monogram in 1/24 did the glassed in version and everyone knows the classic Strombecker.
That should provide options. :laughing-rolling:

None are current production modern running gear slot cars.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:04 am

Jesla wrote:
DaveKennedy wrote:Because the Carrera car serves a different market than the Sideways car. The numbers of cars they will bring in will be much lower in any case so theirs doesn't have to sell in big numbers i bet to sell well here.

I am the market. I like slot cars. Or should I say miniature racing cars (as MCR calls them).
I have 1/32 in Scalextric, MRRC, SlotIt, Racer Sideways, SRC, Revell-Monogram, HSRR, Fly, Ninco, SCX, and Carrera (and probably some I’m forgetting).
I have 1/24 in Carrera and BRM.
In HO, I have Tyco, AFX, and Life Like.
In all three scales, the details are pretty good but the performance varies across the spectrum. I buy the cars I like, then work on them to run on the tracks I have (routed in both small and large scales).
If I buy a SlotIt (a so-called hobbiest car), I’ll take it apart and reassemble it to tune it to my track. If I buy a Carrera (or other major brand), which you consider a “toy”, I’ll do the same thing but toss in wheel and replacement-tire truing. For me, and I’m sure a vast number of slot car enthusiasts, this is how they approach the hobby.
Then there’s the cross-over between “toy” and “hobbiest” category with the printed chassis/Carrera body cars that are the rage.
This argument reminds me of a conversation I had with a long-time slot racer (back to the late ‘60s) on why they didn’t race Carrera cars. “Too slow.” Well, if you run a Carrera class, they’re all the same speed. So instead of running a stock Carrera class with replacement tires (at an investment of around $40) with “cheap” Parma controllers, they run the “fast” cars with high dollar adjustable controllers. And complain because they can’t get any new people into the hobby.
They apparently don’t read the enthusiastic reports on the various forums on how much fun racers are finding Carrera DTM class racing.

Just my ten cents worth. Sorry to hijack the thread.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 am

WB2 wrote:I am the market....

Maybe... but to a much smaller degree than I, if you want to compare raw numbers.

I predict the next big change will be the introduction of 'Hobbiest' Sectional track.
So much time and money has been spent by Toy makers on digital that actual track
systems have not changed in 30 odd years. Toys are stuck in the past, Hobbiest are
always pushing the future.

:twocents-mytwocents:
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 am

Apples and oranges. The Sideways (though I'll never buy one - too ugly) will smoke the Carrera and Scaley versions and it's all about speed and tuneability to me which is not to dismiss Carreras outright. The club does have fun with the DTM series and this is because Carrera is the only ones who make them (I have one with an HRS chassis under it). I've some Carrera vintage NASCARS and a 57 Chevy but all have 3D chassis with Slot It running gear under them. I've also around 5 1/24 Carreras and I've remotored them to run on 10V, again, I've got these because no one else makes them (the bodies) but they can't really compete with my ScaleAutos/BRMs. Same is true with Scalextric, if no one else makes the car I'll buy it and replace the running gear/chassis except for the vintage F1s such as the Loti, McLarens, Eagles, etc. Those they got right.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Jesla wrote:

Dude...they are ALL toys. All slot cars are toys; Carrera, Slot.it, NSR, Scalextric, Monogram, Strombecker, BRM, Scaleauto, Sideways... whatever. That that fact is lost on you is amazing!! We're a bunch of grown men playing with TOY cars. If that bothers you then so be it. But don't get confused about this. We're all playing with TOYS...TOYS...TOYS.
Carlos Roland
Manager: Linebacker Mattress Company
888-4-SLEEP-2
Sleep Like the Pros!!
carlosinseattle

Postby Jesla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:00 pm

I think your confused, I understand better than most what a toy is.
The manufacturers understand as well since it's their most common excuse.

It's you who doesn't understand the difference between 'Kid's' and 'Adult's' Toys.

The gap between the two is widening again, is my point. It was closing at one time.
All the big '4' kid's toys makers had their own PRO line..... no more, back to 'we
just do toys for kids (for the one's that survive today).'
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 pm

All the big '4' kid's toys makers had their own PRO line..... no more

Not necessarily a bad thing. Given that each was a failure sales wise and the R&D among other costs didn't help some brands survive. A case of trying to be something they are not.

So I am happy they just make "toys". I would rather see the $ go into fresh molds and broaden the selection while keeping the entry fee low. Not everyone has unlimited budgets or needs these more advanced models to enjoy the hobby.

And the models we see today are pretty well done compared to years ago. I can tune them easily enough if I want more.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm

What he said.
Bob
The future is in our hands, choose wisely
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby carlosinseattle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Jesla wrote:I think your confused, I understand better than most what a toy is.
The manufacturers understand as well since it's their most common excuse.

It's you who doesn't understand the difference between 'Kid's' and 'Adult's' Toys.

The gap between the two is widening again, is my point. It was closing at one time.
All the big '4' kid's toys makers had their own PRO line..... no more, back to 'we
just do toys for kids (for the one's that survive today).'

The gap between everything is widening faster and more drastically than the gap between toy slot cars. Who cares if a car is a tenth of a second to 2 seconds around a toy track than another toy slot car? Let me answer that for you....nobody. Carrera cars are great to race against Carrera, and Sideways against Sideways, GT vs. GT, and vintage vs. vintage. It's all about different classes of racing, all being fun. It's not about toy versus something else because they are all toys. Ask any sane person who doesn't "race" slot cars and they will tell you all these things are toys. Liking one type or another is fine, just like some people like NASCAR or F1 or NHRA. All great choices, just like all the toys we play with are great, great choice of which toy to play with. If you think kids are playing with Carrera digital 1/32 and/or 1/24 cars then you clearly don't understand what you state you understand. Adults playing with adult's toys are the ones playing with those cars. It's ok if it's not your cup of tea but it's better if we don't demean things we don't like. A Carrera digital race, which you are characterizing as a kid's toy, presents different challenges than an analog race, not easier, just different.
Carlos Roland
888-4-SLEEP-2
Sleep Like the Pros!!
carlosinseattle

Postby Jesla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Get a grip, Dude....

Don't ask me questions that you are going to answer for me. That's a snowflake type
attack. If you don't like what I post I suggest you go to bed every night without reading
them. You are so far off the mark with your drivel you don't even realize just how stupid
you are making yourself look. Short history lesson for you...

So far every manufacture that has retreated back to toy land has gone under....SCX,
Ninco, Artin....

So far NSR, Slot-it, Sideways, Policar are still expanding... all we need now is a hobbiest
sectional track and we can leave the toys to the kids.
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Jesla wrote:Get a grip, Dude....

Don't ask me questions that you are going to answer for me. That's a snowflake type
attack. If you don't like what I post I suggest you go to bed every night without reading
them. You are so far off the mark with your drivel you don't even realize just how stupid
you are making yourself look. Short history lesson for you...

So far every manufacture that has retreated back to toy land has gone under....SCX,
Ninco, Artin....

So far NSR, Slot-it, Sideways, Policar are still expanding... all we need now is a hobbiest
sectional track and we can leave the toys to the kids.

Point #1: Try spellcheck, it really works.
Point #2: You have a RIGHT to your opinion, but everyone else does as well. This IS a discussion forum after-all.
Point #3: They ARE toys, all slot cars are toys. Are some built for someone who has more time and money allocated to modifying their toy? Yes. But they are toys. And a difference of $30-$100 means they are ALL toys.
Point #4: I welcome your rebuttal(s).
Carlos Roland
888-4-SLEEP-2
Sleep Like the Pros!!
carlosinseattle

Postby Jesla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Me thinks thou dust protect two muck....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oceanview » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm

OK that was kinda funny.
Gosh and I thought all my Slot cars were (and are) little, cool ,exciting treasures!
oceanview

Postby JULES » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 am

Jesla: What is 'hobbiest' track?

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Slot Car News!