[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Quick Slicks Setup

Quick Slicks Setup

Dedicated to the two leading brands of tires in our hobby.
Paul Gage Urethane Tires & Quick Slicks Silicone Tires
Forum rules
1. This forum is for Paul Gage and Quick Slicks Tires Only.
2. Please keep your comments & questions for these brands only.

Re: Quick Slicks Setup

Postby Smokeio » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 am

You mean I am going to have to see BOTH your ugly mugs at Area 51? This could be 24 hours of nightmares. Good thing both of you will be in my rear view mirrors.....
Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Don't worry Mike I will be there to ease your pain.
Mike :violin:
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 am

I was able to get a smooth tire straight off of my Hudy without any polishing. A Hudy will leave grooves in the tires unless you make a small modification in the machine. I turn the axle drive pulley around so there is a little side play in the axle. Once I am done truing the tire I poke the drive pulley repeatedly to move the tire from side to side, that quickly removes the grooves. Although these tires are easier to true they will still get hot as you grind them, if they do get hot and you are using Superglue the glue may debond. In the past I limited the grinding time to less than a minute, then let the tire cool down before I continued truing. Now I drip soapy water on the tire as I true it, that keeps the tire cool and also keeps the sanding drum from getting coated with crud.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Oscar Racing » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 am

Rich,

Can you bring your hudy next week...Alma Fan is looking to get one and I would like to see what and how you did it for mine...No grooves would be awesome...
Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:08 am

Bring it where next week? Here is a picture, note that the axle drive pulley has been turned around and that there is a ~1/8th inch space between the pulley and the axle holder. The axle can be moved from side to side by pushing on the pulley with something. I use the handle of a small paint brush. The sideways travel has to be limited or the belt will keep falling off.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 am

Rich, thanks for the tip. I will pick my new hudy up at Area 51. Thanks Rob see you there. :text-thankyouyellow:
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:21 am

It was great to meet you in person at Area 51! After the big race Smokeio measured the tires on the winning car and found that they had lost ten thousands of an inch in diameter, if I remember correctly. The car ran on a single pair of tires.
It will be interesting to see how well Quick Slicks hold up during the race at Cloverleaf. That track has banked corners and I expect that the tires will eventually get coned and have to be replaced.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Re: Tire Tuning How-To

Postby GPCruisr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:43 am

GPCruisr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Matt we are the ones who will be shooting it. We wanted to get a kind of a script so that everyone is on the same page.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fumey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 am

Get it? Script? Page? :dance:
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to The Tire Shop