[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - TRU Tires "Trifecta"

TRU Tires "Trifecta"

Dedicated to the two leading brands of tires in our hobby.
Paul Gage Urethane Tires & Quick Slicks Silicone Tires
Forum rules
1. This forum is for Paul Gage and Quick Slicks Tires Only.
2. Please keep your comments & questions for these brands only.

TRU Tires "Trifecta"

Postby btaylor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 am

Been working on these for a while now. They were originally designed for the Rear of my Can Am cars, but I used a set on my Trans Am build, and was very happy with the outcome!
The original tire came from a model kit. From there I made a mold, and cast a resin version of the original tire. I had a few things in mind that I wanted in a true competition urethane tire, so using the resin tire as a master, I proceeded to polish the center of the tire to .675. That is the basic size of the Pro trac/ H&R/ CB design wheels that we use. That Inside dimension makes this tire a glue on. You can use any type adhesive, but clear nail polish allows the most flexibility when mounting. I did this for many reasons.
1. I don't like the way stretching a urethane tire effects the sidewall.
2. A stretched urethane tire is in a constant state of tension, and will eventually tear if stretched far enough.
3. A relaxed sidewall offers up some very nice cornering at speed. it allows the tire to flex sideways, and helps keep the contact patch running parallel to the track surface.
That being said, I also turned the outside diameter of the new master to 29mm. That gives us plenty of room to true them up, and still maintain scale modeling appearance. The 12.5 mm overall width, allows it to fit under most bodies quite nicely as well as offering up a pretty healthy contact patch.
These tires have a sponsor logo on the finish side that is large enough to hand paint relative ease.
I also rounded the upper sidewall of this tire, so it would traverse Plastic track rails that sometimes stand proud of the track itself.
On to the process. I injection mold these tires using shore 40 dry, to reduce any air bubbles, and they are post cured at 150 degrees for 4 hrs. then they are naturally cooled down in a moisture free environment. The end result of all this netted me a very nice Race bred Urethane tire with performance in mind, that not only looks good, but is a great race tire for scratchbuilding. These are not made for RTR Cars. here are a couple of shots of them mounted on a couple of popular wheels.Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: TRU Tires "Trifecta"

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 am

Those look very nice. The raised lettering is bonus. Nice job
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 am

Oh yeah. This is one of those things Willis was talkin’about!

Looks great Bob, well done!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 am

OHHHH yeah!
I am definitely going to need to order up some of those from you sir!
Where does the order line start?
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks Guy's! I am pretty sure you will all like them. I have done a bunch of testing here on my track with various weight cars, and they seem to be just what I was after. I am working on new molds so that I can supply SCC with the odd ball urethanes to offer up. They are patiently waiting for me to get in full production. I did not want to release a tire that was sub standard, and that takes time. That being said, I am going to send some of these out to you guy's for further testing and review. (at no charge of course) so that I can perfect them if need be. A lot of folks wont like the slip fit that forces them to be glued on, but my testing has shown that I get a better performing tire using that mounting method, as opposed to the stretch fit we are all used to. Total cure time on these is actually a couple of days, but I can start sending them out this weekend. I will include them in the T/A Kit for you all to try. Since my initial mold only makes four tires at a time, its a slow process. if they are well received, I am set up to make a mass mold using the original resin masters.
Thanks again guy's. not trying to re invent the wheel here, just a true performance based tire that has a specific purpose. My production will be limited compared to the tire giants out there, but I doubt the need will be as big either.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:28 am

Well I have no issue gluing a tire. Even tighter slip on foam replacements from PG still need glue.

I appreciate the time and effort here. Now we will have those odd sizes that compliment our selections already.

I'll still be the slowest of the bunch, but I'll have new gear :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 am

Harry, I don't either. its part of the process to build a winning car. Gluing and truing is essential for a smooth running car for any intended purpose. a winning car to me, is one that is a pleasure to drive as well as being competitive. when a small solution comes along to make that happen, we all win. I don't believe there is an all purpose tire, given the many track surfaces that are out there, but one that is forgiving of rough surfaces as well as providing as much traction as possible, comes as close as we need I think. The beauty of doing these one off tires, is I can spend as much R&D time as is necessary to give me the result I am after. When we scratchbuild, we are trying to create something to do exactly what we want it to do, or we would just buy RTR cars. that being said. we have an enormous choice of motors, gears, axles, wheels etc. that are designed to give us that little edge we want in our builds, even if that means running it by ourselves on our own tracks. PG and Quickslicks, and many others are providing some great tires for general use, but I felt we needed something more specific to our needs in both performance and scale appeal. I know I am ranting about these tires, but I am just passionate about getting us not just another option, but a new thought process and design based on actual track time and good old Yankee engineering. I admit to bringing a bunch of 1:1 racing tire knowledge into the making of the Trifecta specifically. The independent testing will tell the tale I guess, but im pretty sure im on track this time! (no pun intended) lol

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby 4424ever » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am

Would it be possible to get a pair of these to try Bob?
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby 4424ever » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 am

Ok could you change my driver to the 1/25 version if you haven’t shipped yet :D and I want a bill for these LMK
Thanks Dave
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks Bob! Can't wait to try them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:51 pm

BT...a building machine!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62