[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Got My First PG Tires Yesterday...

Got My First PG Tires Yesterday...

Dedicated to the two leading brands of tires in our hobby.
Paul Gage Urethane Tires & Quick Slicks Silicone Tires
Forum rules
1. This forum is for Paul Gage and Quick Slicks Tires Only.
2. Please keep your comments & questions for these brands only.

Got My First PG Tires Yesterday...

Postby strummer57 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:11 am

...and put them on the rear of my recently acquired Aurora Mustang.

When I got this car, it had (and still has) what I think are probably the original front tires. They are still in really good condition, and since they don't do much (and I'm fearful if I try to take them off they'll disintegrate :o ) I've opted to leave well enough alone.

On the rear were some rather large but pliable foam-type tires; they worked fine, but I wanted something more in "scale", and after contacting Paul, he recommended a set made for Monogram wheels.

Now, I thought this car had been running pretty well (and it had been) but the difference with these new tires is quite remarkable. The over-all performance is better, but in the corners is where it really shows: the "fishtailing" is almost gone(!) and is 'way more fun to drive.

I wanted to share this and give a quick shout out to Paul to thank him for such a nice product, the fast service and his willingness to help a "newbie" such as myself.

Mark in Oregon
strummer57

Re: Got My First PG Tires Yesterday...

Postby 4424ever » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:19 am

Paul’s tires are a welcome addition to any car in my opinion :music-rockout:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 am

Having proper tires completely transforms a car. PG tires are widely used. Glad to hear the car is running better!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Mark, The next step is to true both the front and rear tires (on the wheels)..........this will make a very noticeable difference,.........a much smoother more predictable running car, not only much nicer to drive, but, with the car not bouncing, lap times will improve.

Round wheels/tires are the single most important element in improving a cars performance (and enjoyment).

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:37 pm

But, but...

These tires have nice tread detail: won't "truing" them remove that? And if so, why have that tread in the first place, if it's only going to get taken off?

I believe you, I'm just curious... :)

Mark in Oregon
strummer57

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

They are there for those that like that sort of detail.

But...as just mentioned, truing/sanding them just increases the grip and overall performance.

You can't see that fancy tread at speed :) You WILL see your car closer to the front though :auto-checkeredflag:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Actually, for most forms of racing on paved tracks aren't slicks pretty much standard? The exception being in forms of racing where the cars will continue to race if it rains. Oval asphalt cars have huge slicks, while dirt oval cars do have a tread pattern, often customized by the teams tire guru.

All my road course cars have been upgraded to PG tires.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Brumos RSR » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:39 am

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Tire Shop