[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Michigan 5th annual 24 hour race

Michigan 5th annual 24 hour race

Forum for all Coverleaf Racing events.

Re: Michigan 5th annual 24 hour race

Postby cgingras » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 pm

cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby davisju1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 pm

I would like to thank Mike and everybody at Cloverleaf Racing group for all there hard work to put on a race like this. Another big thanks to the lady's that prepared all the good food. All I can say is job well done looking forward to next year.

Rob Hall thank you for your hard work with the Charity Raffle and to everybody that made this happen . Thank again for taking this event to the next level. :clap:

Too everybody that came but and offered there help if we needed a corner marshal ,pit guy or anything you don't know how much that meant to our team thank you very much.

Steve Sawtelle and all the slotcar corner team what a class act they were the first to come to offer help when we found out about Dickie was not going to make the start of the race. Like Mark said thank you Steve for what you do for the hobby. Also had a great time at luck's steakhouse.
Smokeio, had a great time racing with you thank you for all your help.

Now on to my team mates. Dickie thank you for all your hard work leading up to the race building car and test and your help on Friday. Mark,Jason & Jon thank y'all for letting me be part of the team not only are you all great team mates but you are great friends.

Jr.
Team Dickie's Dixie Hazzard Chicks
davisju1

Postby Wicked Mini » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 am

Just my two cents - it was a great weekend. I feel very fortunate to be part of a larger group that includes some of the most respected tuners and drivers that participate in the hobby. They are a modest and humble group.

I was the chosen guy who got to address the timing system when it began act up. It was late and people were tired and yet everyone displayed patience while I sorted out the issues. It occurred to me at that point that we, as a group, were just there to do our best and enjoy ourselves - keeping score, though important, wasn't paramount. Everyone knew these things happen and to a person they accepted it. I was under a lot of pressure to keep the race going without losing any data; my job was made easier when I realized they all trusted me. What can you say to that? 30 guys, of which only 5 you know very well, trusts that you will do what is in the interest of the entire group? Bob was helpful in pointing out each time we received an erroneous lap count (of lack thereof), John, from Georgia, calmly and in his genteel southern way came over to me and personally explained that 'these things happen'. Steve S helped me to figure out what parameters we needed to enter into the program to finish the heat. (The program was originally written in Flemish and translated into English – some things to don’t translate well). We got back on track and continued the event without issue.

When Jason accepted the trophy for his team he talked about how the group of 30 offered to help their team while Dickie was absent and how the group also offered help to the Professor Motor team when their lights stopped working. Jason expressed an aspect of this event that is easy to overlook. I talked with Jason afterwards and apologized for a previous indiscretion that happened between us years before. I don’t know if he even remembered but his response was genuine and without any malice. That’s the type of guys that come to these races: smart, humble, giving, fun - a joy to be around.
Wicked Mini
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm

First off I would like to say sorry for the delay I had a draft saved and it got lost somehow. I would like everyone to know how much I appreciate all the kind words about our race. I can not believe that we are on our 5th year already.
I would like to congratulate the Hazard boys (or what ever you are calling yourselves today). I know that you guys were still working on your car at 11:00 on Friday night and still not satisfied with the results. Then Saturday morning you found out that Dickie would not be able to race. You guys race a very clean race and were strong through out the whole race, if it had not been for the braid issue you probably would of broken the world record. I would also like to thank you for using our Quick Slicks tires.
This year was the closest racing I think we have ever seen. If one team were to of had any more problems it would have changed the whole out come. We did see a new track record and also saw more cars running below the 7.0 time on a regular basis. Every time I think we will not be able to go any faster it seems like we do.
I would like to thank everyone that helped out during the race, without your help I would never be able to make this race happen. I am sure I will forget someone but I will try to get everyone. Big thanks to Craig s wife and daughter for all the help with the food and the clean up. Thanks to Dave W for helping with the timing and all the other odds and ends that you do. Thanks to Dave Z for taking time out of your weekend to help out with the race. I know that everyone did there part just to keep thing moving along and cleaning up after themselves.
I would like to thank Rob for setting the charity part of the race I know we have a few things that we will address for next years race so that things move more smoothly, we are always looking to improve our race and the was one of the best additions.
Big thanks to all the teams that keep coming back and entering our race year after year, it really means a lot to me that you think enough of our race to enter it year after year.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 am

Thank you Mike. There are two things that comes to my mind when race improvements are discussed:

1. Going back to 5 teams must be seriously considered. With the lane changes, the track calls and the occasional (and normal) technical hiccups, this 24-hour race becomes a grueling 33-hour affair. For those who have to drive 12 to 15 hours to get back home after the race, this is seriously taxing and removes any possibility of hanging around after the race for some of us (we would have LOVED to stay for dinner after the race but our jobs were waiting for us back home).

2. A big monitor on the wall over the straight located after the banking would be a huge addition to the race. Instead of having half of the people being able to see the lap times and number of laps, everyone would be able to see them, all the time, without having to move or squint. I'm sure every team could add $50 of $60 to their registration fee next year for this one-time purchase. It could even be a used monitor, as we don't need a hi-quality image. Anything over 47" would be great.

For the raffle part, I think that with the Excel spreadsheet that was developed yesterday, we're going to be perfectly OK.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby mikeinclover » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 am

Christian I have been kicking around the idea. I took a quick look pole of the guys and it seemed like most didn't mind the extra team. I myself would rather go back to 5 teams. The main problem with that is what team gets cut, I guess last in first out is the only fair way to do it. We can see what happens in the fall when we start planning for the race and see what everyone thinks about having 5 or 6 teams.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:20 pm

I have been thinking about it and if we have a team that drops out we will not enter another team next year. I would really hate to tell a team that they can not race because we have changed our minds. I would like to know how some of the other guys feel. I asked around on Sunday and for the most part no one seemed to mind.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:38 pm

The ones I talked to preferred only 5 teams. Your idea is the best.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:02 am

My personal opinion is this (this by no means reflects what the rest of our team thinks - I cannot speak for them) - the only reason our team has made the trip up there the last two years is that you all, collectively, allowed us in as a 6th team in 2014.

It does not sit well with me to take the chance to participate in this event away from someone else this way - our team is the reason this event is in this predicament in the first place.

It would be selfish of me to not allow a 6th team.

With that said, I'll respect whatever you and the rest decide, Mike.

Clearly, the correct answer is get to routing a 6 lane version....
Mark

Postby Smokeio » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:09 am

Mike, You need to upgrade your track to 8 lanes. We need more teams participating.

I would hate to see anyone not attend or tell a new team they cannot participate. As difficult as it is to stay up and race for that long, the more I participate in this event the more I do it to be with the friends I have made over the years. Imagine what would have happened if we told the Hazzard Team no? The next team we allow may be the next winners. Stay with 6 teams and serve more coffee.
Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:38 am

I'm one of the ones that Christian spoke with that wanted it to go back to 5 teams. We spoke near the end of the race, and I was thinking it would be nice to be heading back home at that time.

Now, a week later, I don't believe any team should be told they can't attend. Any team that was there this year should be allowed to come back next year.

If there is a team that decides to not come back, then at that time, we can discuss whether or not we want to add in another 6th team.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Audi1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 am

How about if there's another team that would like to participate in 2016?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cj74 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:15 am

So many thoughts and words associated with this event... I'm not one to go on and on, so I'll try to keep it simple.

The Georgia Boys bring back memories of great times I spend living in Georgia. I only wish I had the opportunity to meet and race with this group while I was down there. Humble doesn't come close to describing this team and everyone on it. I look forward to the next time I get to hang out with them.

Thank you to Mike Stott and the Clover Leaf Racing team for hosting and organizing a fantastic event. I'm not able to be around these guys as often as I'd like, but they treat me like a close friend and are always willing to help me out. I always appreciate the time, advice and friendship that you have extended my way.

The SCC team and team members are very skilled at building and driving slot cars. More than that they are a collection of great guys with a great attitude and a focus on the right thing... the people that make up this event. This is very easy to see by the smiles and laughs in their photos. I always look forward to an opportunity to talk with them.

For a relatively quiet group, Cincinnati Slot racers get it done. The last two years have been great getting to know this group. If there was a trophy for focus, attention to detail and having the will to win I think it would go to this team. They take racing seriously, but are fun to be around while doing it.

Thank you Professor Motor for joining the race this year. I didn't feel like such the new guy anymore and I appreciate the effort you guys put in to this thing. Our team knows what it is like to struggle with car issues, and you just rolled with it and kept pushing. Competitive and grateful, you guys were an awesome addition to the mix.

Thanks again to the CanAm team for welcoming me. I appreciate the opportunity to take part in this event with you guys. We have a great time from Friday to Sunday and in the meantime make ourselves pretty competitive. Low stress and lots of fun is exactly what I needed, and that's exactly what I was able to do. Thanks again and I look forward to next year.

A special thank you to Rob for organizing the charity raffle. It is obvious that this is important to you and as a result it has become extremely important to all of us. You passion for this aspect of the event is contagious and I expect it to be even bigger next year.

Thanks to your efforts, Team CanAm has donated $240 to The United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation in honor of a very close friend of mine. I personally thank you for the donation.

Looking forward to doing it all again next year!

CJ
cj74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:05 am

As an outsider to Cloverleaf but one who participated in the most recent Area 51 24 hr event, I'll comment here, but my comments should be given little weight compared to the participants at Cloverleaf.

While many would love to attend the Cloverleaf event, I feel that the field should not be expanded, and the event time thereby extended, when time constraints are already placing a burden upon one of the original teams. Increasing the number of lanes to decrease the total event time might be prohibitively expensive.

Congratulations to the organizers and participants for continuing what has become a Cloverleaf tradition and inspiration to other slot car fans. One measure of your success is that you have the "problem" being discussed here.

Well done, guys.

:text-bravo:
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:33 am

Congratulations to Team Hazzard. You guys worked hard,drove the wheels off and are amazing drivers! Also Great people!

As for the race. All I can say is WOW! When you think the limit is near,you better take a second look. The competition has never been this close and every team raised the game to another level! The cars,the team work,the drivers ALL stepped it up! It's amazing and fun to watch!!!

Mike & Kelly, Thank you so much for letting us do what we do! To let us completely turn your home upside down and take it over. Turn it into a hotel,restaurant,and racing complex, we are truly grateful for that! Hosting takes a lot of HARD work and it showed! THANK YOU!

Craig wife & daughter, the food was delicious! Your timing and food choices were top notch! This has took the racing experience to the next level.to clean up after 35 slobs hour after hour can't be easy. I'm sure you mumbled a few choice words! Thanks for keeping a smile. :D now the question is. Will you return next year ??? :)

The greatest part of these races are; the friends,jokes,laughs,harassment!!! Again it was brought to the next level! It seems as fast as we say Hello ,we have to say Goodbye. That's not easy when you have the fun that I do.
See you all next year! Thanks Rob
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Cloverleaf Racing Forum