[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Michigan 8th annual 24 hour race

Michigan 8th annual 24 hour race

Forum for all Coverleaf Racing events.

Re: Michigan 8th annual 24 hour race

Postby jscot111 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi, after reviewing the rules it appears that the guide flag can extend past the front of the car. This is something that I've never seen before in any set of rules at are club or proxies. I,m sure this is a performance advantage but makes this race a non standard spec worldwide. Certain things should be standard in the rules like guides under bodies and tires under the body.
Scott
jscot111

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm

As far as I know, one cannot change the location of the guide in the chassis. For sure it's not listed under allowable modifications.
The rules do allow teams to use any commercially available guide in the stock location of the chassis. As you probably know, companies such as Slot.It, NSR and Scaleauto all have guides with the blade extending forward of the guide post. If the blade happens to extend past the chassis, then it's fair game. I don't see how this would fall into what you call "non standard spec" as anyone worldwide can use the same chassis and guide being used in the MI24 if they wish.

Also, as far as I know, while most teams do use a guide with the blade extending in front of the post, I'm not aware any of them stuck past the front of the car. The nose of most cars slope down, and the design of most 1/32 style guide do allow one to have the guide so close to the front that they would stick out.

As far tires sticking out, it does say under "chassis" ...
M) Wheel /tire must not protrude past the body when viewed from above.

So that is in the rules...
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby mikeinclover » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Dickie, he is referring to the Slotting plus guides, depending on the car they will stick out a 1/4 of an inch more or less. It can also be a problem when a car deslots and the flag is slightly turned.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jscot111 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I have no problem with forward facing guides, in fact I prefer them. What I,m against are guides the extend beyond the body when viewed from above. There is a Sloting Plus guide that sticks way beyond the body, It can be trimmed to length. Most rules have a statement like this "Guide must be entirely under body, and NOT visible when viewed from above." That's what i'm talking about.
Scott
jscot111

Postby Slot_It_bob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:32 am

Scott i have yet to see the cars teched prior to the start of the race.
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Oscar Racing » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am

Rule reads as follows:

Any brand of 1/32 guide flag may be used, minor modification is allowed, you may also shim
inside the guide post hole to remove guide slop. Guide post may not be modified or
strengthened. Guide spacers may be used to adjust guide height.

Would cutting the Slotting Plus guide be more than a minor modification?

Cars do not get a "tech" before the race but are "tech(ed)" after the race. Cars are taken apart and allowed to be reviewed and pictures are taken. If you remove the body from the car before the race it will then require re-adjusting which would then require a lot of extra time before the race begins to re-set the body. I for one do not want to "tech" and have to take the car apart before the race. If you want to cheat the rules with this group and think you are good enough to get away with it "good luck"...so you are correct, no tech before the race.
Oscar Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot_It_bob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Every form of racing I have been involved in the tech happens before the race to make sure the car confirms to the rules, never after!
Slot_It_bob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:48 pm

I've seen it done either way many times, and the "post race" seems to catch more dirty fish than any other way. I always liked it that way because it gave me more time with the beer before the official results were announced, and more beer is always good.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Audi1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 pm

This is the way that they run the MI-24; it works well. I’m not sure what the issue is(?). Does anyone really think that a team that just raced 24+ hours straight would risk loosing their finish order on a post-race technical DSQ.......?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 am

Actually a car can be legal before the race and not after the race depending on what they tech, and vice-versa. Since the rules in the Michigan 24 are so general it's hard to intentionally cheat. If the wheels are to wide someone will see it at the starting line. If the guide is sticking out in front or it's an illegal chassis a turn marshal will see it some time during the race. Since you can run any motor or gears you can't cheat there. You must run silicone tires and since they are the best tires to run you'd only be hurting yourself if you ran something else.

Ground clearance is the one thing that could be legal at the beginning of the race and not legal at the end of the race and vice-versa. But since the minimum ground clearance is only .010" you'd be crazy to try and run your car that low because you'd be bottoming out on bumps in the track, no track is that smooth.

When we run the 6 hour Retro endurance race in Columbus, Ohio all our spare parts are also teched in and if you need a part you must get it from the teched in parts. We also have tech about every other lane during the race for ground clearance. But that's all together different, we run sponge tires which wear quickly and we have a .050" ground clearance rule. On those cars running below .050" is definitely an advantage.

I have been to endurance races where you had to finish with the same body and chassis so they marked the body and chassis with a special ink so you couldn't replace them without getting caught. But in the Michigan race you can change the chassis.

Could somebody cheat? Sure they could but who'd want to. If you get caught you won't be allowed back and it's a race everyone looks forward to every year. I'd feel really bad if I cheated and still got beat. :lol:
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:20 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Pappy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:03 am

Yeah, I accidentally screw-up every now and then. Sorry about that. :lol:

While we're talking about the Michigan 24, would it be asking to much for you to motorize my walker and maybe put in some sort of power steering unit? About halfway through the race it gets hard for me to maneuver it through the crowd. :D
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:34 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Pappy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who are the test dummies? :lol: :lol:
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 am

Volunteers from the greater Cincinnati area...

;)
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

PreviousNext

Return to Cloverleaf Racing Forum