[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Abecedarian Proxy (Beginner's Carrera Proxy)

The Abecedarian Proxy (Beginner's Carrera Proxy)

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: The Abecedarian Proxy (Beginner's Carrera Proxy)

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Czar -
That is some interesting info!
Will definitely be interested to hear your impressions on how the cars drove. :)
Thanks for the update!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Results, statistics

Postby Czar » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:20 pm

I have re-organized the fast lap sections. Also, races were four minutes per lane with a Pyramid power supply @ 10 volts. My car had stock Carrera tires.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby reek455 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Interesting info for sure. It looks like my car was not perhaps the overall fastest but maybe more consistent?
reek455
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 pm

reek455 - I was wondering the same about mine. :)
My car was in the bottom half of the field as far as lap times go - but managed to sneak onto the podium - even though it's fastest lap time on the red lane was roughly half a second behind the "fastest" and on the blue lane, the difference was even greater - with my car's "fastest" lap being over three quarters of a second slower....

I will say that my PGT's, after truing them down to their current size are definitely on the "loose" side of things - so mine may be a drift machine that is hard to deslot in comparison to some of the others... :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Jeremy - Thank you for the addition! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Ember » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Very interesting information there, thanks Czar. I look forward to future updates.

I must admit, I didn't even take the time to weigh my car before dropping it in the mail. But I did know it was heavier than most of my cars. 106g is not too bad, I suppose. I'm inclined to aim between 95 and 100g for rally car proxies. I've not done a racetrack proxy before. But the Carrera cars are nice and substantial to begin with. I have three spots of weight in the car. One each in the pan just in front of the rear wheels, and one lump just behind the guide. It was a last minute call to add that one. But it was enough to change the car from reliable to unshakable on my track with a trimmed guide fitted.

Reek will probably be able to add more, but from my limited experience proxy racing is more about reliability and consistency than speed. In the WRP2014 which is running currently (all cars RX81 powered SCX 4WD rally cars on handout MJK tyres) the car sitting in third place currently hasn't yet had a podium finish, but has been consistently gained points each and every round.

Looking forward to hearing individual reviews of the cars.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Burrell » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:37 pm

As Czar is the more experienced racer, I will wait until he gives more technical feedback on race results and I'll comment with my more novice observations.

I was running the red lane. While it was shorter than the blue one, my times were still slower. That is a result of my less experience as a driver in general and Czar's track. I took more practice laps than Czar with each car to try to find my groove, but I had more deslots than he did. I promise that I gave an honest effort and tried my absolute best with everyone's car. Some cars were just easier for me to handle than others. Trust me, there was nothing quite like the shame of having the worst lap total with Czar's car and he sitting on the other side of the table watching me continue to deslot his BMW.

The cars were a lot of fun and I could tell a difference in so many of them. Reek's comment about consistency was spot on. For me as a driver, the more consistent the car the better I did with it. Both Corvette's were a lot of fun to drive. Carrera is going to benefit from this proxy as I see a 'Vette in my future, a car that really wasn't on my radar until this race.

As Czar stated, the run order was completely random. We drew numbers for the parings and went through all 10 cars. Then we put all the numbers back in a box a redrew for the other lane run, so no cars matched up against their opponents in the first lane.

I'm looking forward to seeing results on the upcoming tracks. I learned a lot about set up from this race, which was one of the reasons I wanted to do this proxy. I even opened up a car after the race that I particularly enjoyed driving to take extra note of the set up so that I can try that for myself in the future.

I cannot thank everyone enough for participating and trusting the cars with us. The box was shipped to TuscoTodd in Ohio on Saturday morning, so hopefully they will arrive safe and sound later this week.

My tire choice was Paul Gage PGT-21124-XPG.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Burrell - Thank you for the added feedback and the inclusion of the standings, weight, tire info into one post. Looking forward to seeing the big box show up here in Ohio! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby manchvegasracer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:02 pm

The tires on my RSR are XPG.
manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Thank you sir! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Ember » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Never thought to ask how you guys are scoring this. So many ways of doing things when it comes to a proxy.

Are you allocating points for placings? Or are you aggregating laps? Aggregating laps would seem detrimental to those who've not done so well in earliest rounds. If you're allocating placing points (either 10 down to 1 or 15 for first, 12 second, 10 third and so on) it would seem to offer more hope to recover from a bad round.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby baford1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:56 am

Czar you certainly compiled a lot of in formation which is great & interesting reading you mention that my car had other factors I would be interested to find out more I realise that my car is the heaviest & run standard Carrera tyres is that what you mean or was there some other issues it would be interesting to find out but don't get me wrong I am just happy to have a car there & taking part in this Proxy Race its all new to me & I am eargerly awaiting the next race

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

Czar / Burrell -
I am curious as to the "scoring" as well. I guess I had just assumed that we would be using the same format as the Maverick and Porsche RSR proxies, where first receives ten (at least in this case - since there are ten cars) and last receives one and it is just a straight graduation from there?
If it is based on laps, tracks that are shorter or races that are run for longer stretches of time will carry more "weight" in the totals verses longer tracks or races run with shorter, per lane times...
Look forward to hearing what your guys thoughts are on this. :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby VenturaAlfa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

That is some interesting information, thanks for all of that. :text-goodpost: I really thought I had way too much weight in my car so it's interesting to see that it is pretty much in line with everyone else.

My tires were Paul Gage ordered directly from Carrera so I don't know if they are XPG's or some other compound of his. I've been using Paul's tires since he began and have always found them to be a consistent and great tire.

A lot of fun to read about so far. My car is right about where I thought it might be. :auto-driving:

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!