[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Beginner's Proxy Race?

Beginner's Proxy Race?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Beginner's Proxy Race?

Postby Burrell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 am

I’m basically pretty new to slot cars. I bought my first 1:32 Carrera starter set less than a year ago. A friend on this board who knew how much I enjoyed working with my son on the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby introduced me to the hobby.

The thing that I love so much about the Pinewood Derby is the building and tinkering aspect. I’m sure everyone who likes any type of racing feels the same. So I’d love to be able to enter a slot car proxy. However, I just don’t feel I’m up to the level of experience needed to enter some of the proxies that I see here and on other boards.

So my question is, is there a proxy that would be suitable for beginners to the hobby? I don’t mind some technical changes so that its not a "straight from the box" race, but sometimes the rules and building options are so vast that I don’t even know where to begin. If there is not a beginner’s proxy, what is the one that has the smallest learning curve? Much like the Pinewood Derby, I’m more than willing to get crushed for a few seasons so that I can learn from my mistakes until I’m ready to really compete.

Any advice or suggested proxies would be greatly appreciated. If it’s a proxy not sponsored by this board that something that shouldn’t be openly advertised here, hopefully a PM could be sent with info.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Beginner's Proxy Race?

Postby pastor bubba » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:15 am

I am in the same boat as you Burrell. I am just getting back in and want to try my hand at building my own chassis but not quite there yet. I am still getting my track up but it will not have a timing system, at least not yet so cannot host races either. Maybe that will change in a year or two, but for now, I will continue to enjoy reading about the different proxies.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Welcome (if I can give welcome as a stow-away) to the wacky world of slots.

Proxies can be an awful lot of fun. And for those who race alone, they are a fabulous way of seeing how you're a doing when it comes to tuning. That's why I took them up. I'd never had the opportunity to drive a magnetless car tuned by someone else, so I felt I didn't know what it should feel like. And so I entered a simple little proxy that is held every year on Auslot. I finished stone cold motherless last, but that's ok. It is what I expected. But I was given a lot of useful feedback on my car. The next year in the same proxy I managed to finish in the top half of the field.

To my thinking a proxy of the sort Bibbster suggest is the perfect way to start. Something that starts with a level playing field and allows for blue-printing and basic tuning. A small field proxy is really good for beginners. It means that the hosts will get plenty of chance to compare and critique all cars to give useful reports and feedback. A short series is also a good idea so that you can get your car back and apply the suggested changes.

Actually, I think the perfect beginner's proxy would possibly consist of 3 rounds of 3 circuits. So the cars would go out and do a round of 3 races on the 3 host circuits. Reports would then be sent back with the cars and adjustments applied to them by their owners. They would then go out for a second round on the same three tracks before returning for another tinkering session. Then the final round. This would let people see just how much their cars have improved with the suggestions applied.

Anyway, what ever you do, make sure you have fun.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Burrell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks for all the replies. I see a lot of great ideas that could work for a beginner’s proxy.

Bibbster’s idea of as close to stock, with everyone running the same brand (I suggest Carrera since that’s the track I own), with just blueprinting and tire changes sounds great. My only suggestion about the Porsche 904 would be to expand the choice of cars, so that someone might be able to use a car they already have. Ember’s idea of having a few races, then sending the cars back for changes due to feedback is a great idea. But that might be another reason to allow newbies to use cars they already own to keep costs down as the entry fee would need to be higher to cover all the extra shipping.

I’d love to see a proxy with some combination of the above ideas. I honestly don’t feel qualified enough to organize and run that since I’m still getting my slot car feet beneath me, but I’d love to participate. And it’d be great to have as many experienced people enter and give detailed feedback and info about what they are doing to their cars.

So any interest of feedback on these ideas? I’m having a lot of fun with the hobby so far and am very eager to jump in further.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am

I've always felt that it was possible to do two classes in a proxy where one class is for the beginners. Set up the rules so that the beginners have fewer variables to worry about. Guidleines would be something like 'in the hobby for less than two years', and 'never entered a proxy before'. Something like that.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Burrell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am

I do not think changing all stock parts is always necessary a round wheel is round be it made of plastic or aluminum, now we have all gotten a set of Fred Flintstones wheels that are just so bad you must replace them.

For all you new guys, best way to learn how to build a proxy car is host a race, get to check out all the builds and race some fine slot cars.

And dont worry about coming in last, thats my spot :laughing-rolling:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby bkrownd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:26 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Totally agree, Jeremy.

I also think it's a disservice to a new guy to teach him that parts need to be replaced. Almost every car can be made to run decently with stock parts. Or, at the other end of the spectrum, we can have the new guys put a Slot.It HRS chassis under a body and call it a day. *yawn* They'll probably go faster, but they won't learn a whole lot, either.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Ember » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Totally agree with where you're coming from Jeremy. There is something extremely satisfying in turning a so-so car into a winner with nothing more than a little time spent on it. Mind you, I always change to urethane tyres and toss the magnet at the fridge door. But there are very few of my cars that have had parts changed on them, and usually that is due to parts failure not performance improvement.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby bkrownd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I dunno, if I'm spending that much time and money on the car I want it to be nice and at least a tiny bit personalized, not a polished turd with floppy axles and press-on wheels.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm