[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Beginner's Proxy Race?

Beginner's Proxy Race?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Beginner's Proxy Race?

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:21 pm

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby SRQSloter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Been following this thread from a distance. And think it is a good idea for beginners to learn. I'm with bibbster on the don't make it a track mandatory proxy. But I do encourage the beginner to give it a try. Good experience. If this does come about I would host a round here. (not participating though) So keep me in mind if you all need a host.

:handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 pm

From my perspective, I agree that a one car proxy would seem to make it a lot easier to learn from others and see how "your" tuning ideas/methods work, verses how others went about setting up their car(s). The thought of using a Carrera car or maybe possibly an Artin stocker seems like it would make for a "fun" proxy that would allow beginners to dip a toe in the fun, and not have to have a lot of $ tied up.
Also, if it is open to "all", not just "beginners" and does not "require" participants to host and/or hosts to participate, I would think that you would have pretty decent participation! :)

Also, as an aside, in regard to the one car/car type...
My first try at a proxy was the Autograss Mini proxy and I have to say that I learned a LOT and had a GREAT time being part of it! Was a "reverse" wired Mini a car that I had considered owning / wanting prior to joining in on that proxy? No. Am I glad I decided to jump in and try building one just the same? Yes! Do I have a "class" I can run the car in locally or race with anyone that has something similar? No. Do I smile every time I look at that little blue bomber and think back to the update postings / race results, and look forward to seeing a post from Dave as to when the next Autograss proxy may start? YOU BET!
So I guess I just wanted to say, to those that may not be to sure about the choice of car (not a body style, brand or type of racing you would normally own / compete in) - you may still want to consider giving a proxy a whirl as it can be a good time! :mrgreen:

PS - I know I would LOVE to see a Carrera Cheetah proxy! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Burrell » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming support! I think that this can actually happen. As I mentioned in my first post, I have a friend who got me into slots. He has had a couple of suggestions as well. I'm going to see him early next week and discuss the ideas in this thread and the ones he had. Maybe this can become a reality.

So please everyone keep those ideas coming.

Also, anyone who's just watching this thread. How many "Beginners" are these who might be interested. I think it'd be best to make it open to everyone, but would like to see how many might fit into the Beginner category.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:26 pm

That is GREAT to hear!

I don't think I can be called a beginner since I have one proxy under my belt (Autograss Mini) and a second one I am working on (TansAm Maverick) - but look forward to the possibly of participating! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Ember » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:19 am

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Ember » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:08 am

Possibly related in grip. The paint I've used is starting to get used on a few rally tracks out here. But... I've only painted the track in the last 12-18 months. I've been running without magnets since about 6 months into the track build. So, maybe 3 years before painting the track.

Tyres are the big one to find the right ones. And the best suggestion I have is Paul Gage's ones.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Harry Slotter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Ladies, gentlemen.

I have a bunch (12-16 or so, possibly more?) of Scalextric Porsche 934 bodyshells that I'd be very willing to pitch in for the purpose of a Newbies Proxy. This model was in the Scalextric range for what seemed to be forever, although quite possibly it was only 20 years. They are in plentiful supply and can be found for very reasonable prices. As there are no detachable parts (except the slide-on/slide-off hubs, LOL), they take a fair amount of punishment with little risk of damage.

The bodyshells I have are from a close-out lot that I bought and stripped of the motors, guides and tyres to restore some other Scalextric models many years ago, they still have the interior and windshields, most still have the chassis, axles and hubs. They are C466 "Joker's Porsche" in bright purple with yellow interior and chassis - not pretty, but they are quick to dismantle and the tampo can be removed easily for repaint and decals (or just add stick-on number roundels and colour stripe).

Maybe 2 classes could run, one "Production" with the Scalextric chassis, one "Silhouette" for scratch-built chassis. Anyhow, just a thought for a budget proxy race - same low cost car for all (perhaps for a small donation to the local March of Dimes http://www.marchofdimes.com/ohio/events ... 03637.html).

For the "Production" class, add a spec motor (MT1?) and guide, control tyres (PG replacements for Scalextric S5962 Super Slix Large), and have at it. For the "Silhouette" class, source a chassis and wheels (eg, Penelope Pitlane sidewinder PPSW and wheels RSLW) or scratch-build. Then it comes down to deciding on magnet/non-magnet, weight questions (eg, remove/reduce/replace interior, add ballast) etc.

Please post here, if there is any interest in participating, hosting or otherwise helping to coordinate something.
Harry Slotter

Postby buspor63 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Several years ago, I hosted some rounds of SCO proxies. I recall a couple NASCAR, a Cheetah, a vintage F1 perhaps some more. Other than one of the NASCAR proxies, I didn't have a car in the event. What I did observe was how smooth certain cars were and when and where they went fast. Sometimes a "slow feeling" car would click off fast lap after fast lap.

This is where some tweeks to the rules may help. I'm a proponant of a one design and I think some more experienced sloters should be allowed to enter NO POINTS AWARDED OR PLACINGS GIVEN, so that a baseline could be established. Just because you've been putting cars together a long time doesn't mean you won't get beat by a beginner. If they were to host a round they could see first hand the differences in cars that are the same.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:11 pm

What about novices and experienced run the same but just have two ladders?

I agree that there needs to be a well tuned benchmark to the novices to compare with. And what defines an experience proxy racer/tuner anyway? I've been involved in competing in two proxy series over several years, but both were rally series which is more about ease of handling than outright speed.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby demether » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:56 pm

A bit "topic digging" but probably usefull for beginners :

A few years ago, here in France I participated to a Nascar (non magnet) 1/32 championship. The rules were similar to some the ones I readed here, simplier (or should I say liberal) on some points, less on other points.

The tires were provided by organisation (urethane french brand).

I was (and still) a beginner in 1/32 slot racing. I just had a short background in 1/43 and HO (where I race stock but cleaned and dialed chassis most of the time).

Using the rules was the first clue on what I could do. If the rules say you can do this or cannot do that, it's a bit of a tuning manual. If the organisation allows body tilting, it's probably because it's usefull. If it allows tire trueing, probably usefull too. Etc, etc... You get the idea. I completed this searching on internet for specific model and brand tips (like the SCX slide guide tips).

Motor was stock. I simply prepared it...Running it on a 9V battery. Motor preparation completed. :lol:

Then, the weight. I was a bit concerned about this, with my non existent racing background. I installed a oval (artin track) on a table, and made some laps, adding weight until I was happy with the handling. I never laptimed anything (my track was under construction).

On the technical verification after we sent all our cars, I discovered that my car was in the 3 heavier cars. A LOT heavier than the lightest cars. :lol: Championship already finished, I thought.

Then, we started the racing turns, on each other guys tracks. My car was not the finest tuned car of the championship, not the lightest either. But the car was easy to drive. Really easy and smooth. So my car stayed on the track, instead of some other finely tuned cars wich demanded very specific handling.

So I started to win races, and place the car often in the top of the board, not with the fastest laps of the finest race tuned car, but with consistancy.

Finally, I won the championship. I even didn't race the car myself on my track, since my home stage had been cancelled (I didn't have time to setup a laptiming system).

I still have the trophy (some kind of silver painted old scalextric controller with a printed sticker :mrgreen: but still the champion trophy :mrgreen: ) and the car today, because I really appreciated this proxy championship.

What I'm trying to say is not that a beginner will win proxy championships. I probably won with a bit (a lot ) of luck. What I'm trying to say to beginners is GO AHEAD. It's really fun, probably the 2nd funiest thing after sharing a race night/afternoon with other people. Each race report on the forum is a pleasure to follow. And between the forum updates, you can imagine what your car will do, or did on free-try times, qualifications, etc...

I'm also trying to say to beginners that you WILL NOT be ridiculous. You will not finish each time on the last row, if you try to do your best.If the car runs well on your track, it will run good on some other tracks too.

And even if you loose everytime (but it will not happen), proxy racers are not the kind of people who would want to crush other guys.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Well said. It is the easy to drive, forgiving cars that are most likely to be at the top of the pack at the end of a proxy. They may only perform mid range at every race, but they do it consistently. Fast cars will suit certain tracks only. Proxy results come from consistent performance.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Previous

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!