[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Postby Fumey » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 am

Tucso Todd - nice paint . Here in SE Michigan , definitely got some of that humidity going on . I sprayed my car with a Krylon Acrylic last week , it was still tacky after several days . Did some research and found that using a food dehumidifier is the ticket ! Can't really justify that purchase to the wifey right now , so I threw the body in a plastic container with rice for a day :lol: Now it doesn't pick up thumbprints as easily . Still gonna wrap it in parchment paper for shipping - don't want any packing peanuts to get stuck to it ! :lol:
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am

Fumey -
Appreciate the tip! I just saw one of those for sale at a garage sale last week - will have to keep my eyes open for another to give that a shot!

I may have to follow suit with the tissue/parchment paper depending on how quickly this paint dries - as the humidity outside is currently at 70% and it is supposed to rain tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday. :text-nocomment:

Dave - appreciate the "reprieve" on the deadline - looking forward to seeing the whole field together once us stragglers get our cars there! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby turbokev » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Got the 'dead slow' issue fixed thanks to Jeremy.. gear mesh was too tight.. It seemed good but I took a .005 washer off and the thing is silent and fast now.

HOWEVER, the very first time it snapped sideways in a corner the guide broke.. :violence-stickwhack:

I dont have any of these guides... Gotta order from SCC...

I'll get the car there as soon as possible.. I'll be away at the vintage race festival at Thompson Speedway starting first thing Thursday morning, so it might be
Monday the 30th before I can mail it.. Will try for earlier~
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Hmmmm...Interesting...I have had that happen with a PM guide before. Haven't tried one since till we got these. And for the price they should be indestructible.

:twocents-mytwocents:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fumey » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Uh oh ... I've seen that happen to those guides as well ... I concur . For eight bucks, you'd think they'd be a bit more robust ...
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 pm

The one I had snap was a little loose in the holder so I assume if any are loose you will may have this problem. I chocked it up to a dumba** move. May not be so.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:04 pm

SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Hmmm - wonder if it would be advantageous to get "a couple spares" to travel with the group of cars from track to track so that if there is another failure (or two) spares are available to get the car back in action?
Another thing that can be done, depending on the nylon content of the guides is to "condition" them by boiling / submerging them in very hot water before use. The cycle I remember from my RC days was 3 minutes at a light boil then cover and turn the heat off to allow the part(s) to slow cool in the water until back down to roughly "warm" water. (The process worked great for Tamiya control arms, making them MUCH less brittle)
I think I will do that as a precaution with mine - since there seems to be some that are failing just in "practice"...
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm

I will say that with a blank, unthreaded post like these guides, its best to run the screw in slowly, a little at a time, unscrewing it far enough to remove the little bits that the screw is cutting, before turning the screw in further.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby turbokev » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Using only parts from the kit, I had mine shimmed from the bottom and it was rock solid, yet free to move back and forth..
The body was not on the car when this happened.. I sure hope this isn't going to be an issue..
(as you can see, I had tack soldered my guide wires in place to make sure they didn't come out)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Welllll - don't have a slot.it unit here - so I am going with what came in the kit, boiling it for good measure and seeing if it will hold. :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:00 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm

SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Close enough for who it's for. It's all about handing anyway.

SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:00 pm

WTG Rusty..!

Was wondering when we'd see the white one :)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!