Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Postby SRQSloter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 am

If mine's not there start without me. :|
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SRQSloter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Just not into it much and not much fun anymore sitting here building then running laps by yourself. Starting to be a waste of money. May do these Roadster's then decide if I'm getting out of the hobby. Don't even have the ambition to finish my track right now. Time will tell.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Rusty -
Sorry to hear that you have lost some interest, hopefully it is a temporary thing as would be unfortunate to see you leave the hobby.
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Rusty, I'm the Doc around these parts and I have a prescription to cure your ills. Put LeMans (the movie), on the TV with the volume turned up. Take one shooter of Mr. James Beam's elixir, followed quickly by a big swallow of ice cold beer. Repeat. When you can't keep up with whether its time for the beer or the bourbon, have a nice nap. When you wake up, you will be enthused and reinvigorated... but you may need aspirin. Report back here for further instructions. We'll be here for you.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby sadco racing » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Hang in there Rusty, I have to get away from my workbench from time to time, usually sit back down and dive in refreshed again after taking a break.

Hey anybody having trouble keeping their car from tipping over in the turns? I've tried about everything, weight here and there etc, tight body screws, loose screws, just can't get comfortable with it. Push it at all and it's on its roof. Seemed to do a bit better at 10 volts. Kinda hate to send it out like this but it'll be there on time.
sadco racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:59 pm

THIS is the part I was talking about. That rule makes the whole project much more interesting, and I can't wait to see how other people solved it. By the way, mine corners like its on rails-- no kidding. You can definitely do it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I should have, should have, should have...
Started on my body sooner so I didn't have to try to push the painting end of things and as luck would have it - screw it up. :(
I thought I was under the limit on the humidity when I sprayed, but I am thinking that the humidity must have been oozing from the ground here in the Monsoon state of Ohio this last week (It has rained 17 of the last 21 days!)
The paint looked good when it went on, it was nice and smooth and looked sharp! But after about 2 minutes of sitting on the stand, it developed cloudiness on the flat areas of the roof, hood and tail. While I thought I might be able to get the cloudiness to clear up with time - no dice. In addition to that, after 6 days it was still not fully cured as if you held it tightly you could see the hint of a finger print start... :doh:

Soooo - last night I bit the bullet and went to town in striping it back and making a good size mess in the process... :(

The good news is, It is currently coming back to normalcy and is in it's second coat of primer. I still have a couple tiny spots of putty to reapply that were removed in the stripping process that I didn't catch before the second coat of primer. But that will all be done tonight.
If all goes as planned, I will have it back in blue tomorrow - but... that being said, between the paint, decals and clear - it won't be cured and able to arrive to Dave's by the 27th... :(
It will be on the road ASAP though and hopefully, the group won't mind mine showing a couple days late... :oops:
Sorry guys!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Stay at it! You know how fast they go from painted shell to running car, after all.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Oh - believe me! I am in no way giving up on this bad boy! Even if it has to be shipped to the next location in the plan, it WILL join the group!
I enjoyed building this baby too much NOT to see it fulfill it's destiny and join it's brethren for a series of races! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:57 pm

THAT'S the spirit!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby sadco racing » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 pm

We'll kept at it and got the tippy thing under control, getting real close, gotta figure out a sticky guide thing when it fishtails, it'll be in the mail heading west on Tuesday.

sadco racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

OK - while no where near as far along as SADCO's sweet looking machine - but soooooooooooo far - so good as it looks like the paint is "happy" this time around! :D

(forgot to turn on the flash - it is actually a bit lighter than it looks in the shot though)

Now just need to get the decals cut and hopefully get those laid on tomorrow so that she can be clear coated on Tuesday! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby turbokev » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:51 am

Wait a minute... no, first.. Todd.. that looks fantastic! ok, back to my wait a minute.. about the lead.

I can't put any lead on the inside of the body?? or on the underside of the interior tray?

Can someone make a clear ruling on the weight rule please? I'll need to readjust if all added weight must be added
only to the chassis, and only inside the chassis..

Thanks!!

ps. Not that it will matter, my car is a dead slow dog and I can't figure out why LOL :lol:
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 am

Gents, going to need a tick more days, maybe two or three? I've got to do some testing, just super busy with work. Will ship it out this week, even if it happens to be Friday!

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 am

turbokev - Thanks for the compliment!
The paint flowed out NICE!
I did take a peek at it this morning and thankfully, it looks just as nice this morning as it did last night. :D
Hopefully it will be cured enough by tonight to start on putting decals!
:happy-jumpeveryone:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!