[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Affordable Sports Car Proxy: Time to enter and update:

Affordable Sports Car Proxy: Time to enter and update:

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Affordable Sports Car Proxy: Time to enter and update:

Postby mrollingthunder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:57 pm

OK Guys, Sorry to have laid low for the last couple of weeks, but between prepping for a new job transfer and a case of walking Pneumonia, I got laid low a bit myself.
Looks like I'm back on my (somewhat unsteady) feet so lets get this thing done.

So: It's on, Send me your name, the car you are planning to run and a few details and I'll put the list together. Unless anyone has any objections, duplicate numbers are not an issue.

First and foremost we need some more tracks. So far as I can tell we have just my track (Scalextric Sport and Classix mix, very challenging, copper tape) and ShotgunDave's. We really need a few more to make this work. I could make arrangements for a pro commercial track as well, but we need volunteers and tracks!

So let's set a date and an entry fee, (just to insure we can cover the cost of postage from track to track) $20.00 or is that too high? March 1st as the final date to arrive in Geneva, NY?

Does anyone have any final objections to the rules as suggested? Remember, in the spirit of the cars this is not designed to be a cut throat killer series, but rather a fun series ALA the Midget proxy. It has been suggested privately that to encourage newbies we could run a scratchbuilt class and a RTR plastic chassis class. Any thoughts?

I know there is an issue with one or more of the RTR cars coming with something other than a slim can sized motor. so how about if we make it simple:

Engine Rule: RWYB as long as it is under 18,000 RPM as listed by the mfg. for all RTR cars and scratchbuilds. OR... if you can show me that the RTR car came with a slightly more powerful motor, and it is stock, run it. I'll warn you, on my track you'll probably see no advantage. Especially bearing in mind Skinny tires!

Here is the body list as originally suggested. Please feel to add one or more if you can point me to a photo of the car. I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese and European cars I've never heard of! All tires must be under the body, and track width should match the actual (stock) car in scale: Make it easy on yourself, go to http://www.autofiles.org/ and check out your cars specs. When in doubt, read the spec, divide by 32 and you'll have your number.

Tires: Black. Width: Let's figure to end any arguments and make it whatever came with the RTR car with a maximum for both RTR and Scratchbuilds at 7mm side wall to sidewall.

Clearance: 1/18" Any less and you'll be hitting frost heaves!

Alfa Romeo: Giulietta, Giulia, Graduate
Austin-Healy: Sprite (all), 1953-56 Austin-Healey, Austin-Healey 100-4
Crosley: Hot Shot and Super Sports
Fiat: 850, 124, X-19 (including Bertone), 1200/1500/1500/1600
Honda: S600, S800
Lotus: 7, Elan, Elite
Mazda: Miata (It has been pointed out to me that they started production in 1989)
MG: T-Series, MGA, MGB, Midget
Porsche: 356, 914
Sunbeam: Alpine
Triumph: Tr2, 3, 4, 7, Spitfire
VW: Cabriolet, Karmann Ghia
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Affordable Sports Car Proxy: Time to enter and update:

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm

For me, I think the specs for the various tracks is a brilliant idea. The idea of specs for our cars is good, too. There's plenty of time to adjust as judged ahead of time.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mrollingthunder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Will do! I'll be back at home towards midweek and take photos of the track and post all the specs.
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:14 pm

I'll be happy to host a round.

Are Datsun 510's affordable sports cars?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Seems right to me. I remember those buggers making their own kind of racket amongst the others, but that's the very end of the 60s.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm in. My MG is too old. So, I'll be (hopefully) running a Spridget.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Ember » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 am

Thinking about it further, the USD 20 seems a bit steep. Ok, I don't know what your domestic postal prices are like, but.... OzRally Proxy is AUD 10 each for 30 entrants which covers all post and prizes and takes 12 rounds. World Rally Proxy (former SCX Rally Proxy) is AUD 30 which covers 13 stops internationally with 50 entrants.

I'm in anyway. Just my tuppence worth.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby acmost » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:33 am

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mseitz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 am

I will be there in spirit if not in fact. I'd like to put together an Elan to compete but time is not on my side.

That's me in 1973 at 16 with my affordable 1967 Lotus Elan. Bought this one for around $1650 with only 30K and fresh paint.
Was sadly t-boned by a drunk driver and my family forced me to sell it once it was patched back together.
Ironically, I learned about the Elan's current ground up restoration by a couple of good slot car buddies.
The car resides only 30 miles away, with the same owner I sold it to all those years ago. I had no idea.
Mseitz

Postby turbokev » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:40 pm

The original post stated the concept was for 4 cylinder, 2 seat, convertibles cars..

Is that still true? (meaning cars like the Datsun 510, and 240 260Z would be excluded)

and, if you are sticking to the convertible guideline, do we have to run it as a convertible?
example, the 356 came as a convertible, and a hardtop.. is the hardtop excluded?
Same thing for the VW and Corvair etc..

Just want to clarify before I pick a body to go with..

Thanks!
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:59 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I would've thought the Giulietta originally too pricey to fit in the class.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby bkrownd » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:56 pm

I suppose. But to be able to buy them used someone needed to have bought them new. Beautiful looking little car though.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm

How about we make it $10 US? I was just basing it on the fees for some of the other proxies I've been in. Whatever covers the shipping! :D

Don M
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!