[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Lynne, there are two different Alpine kits- one is 25.00, one is 40.00. I ordered the cheaper one because it had a cast-in roll bar, is that the one they didn't really have? I like Pendle's a lot and they have never cheated me, but I have been furious at them for their sloppy inventory practices and antique online ordering method.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I was chasing the full detail one with the white metal bits, Rob. Sean is really great in all other things but inventory. But, having seen photos of their endless stock shelves, I can understand why.

There was an "visit to" article on SlotForum, but I couldn't find it in a hurry to link it here.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 pm

I found that article, Lynne. Those pictures are impressive. It looks to me like the problem there is updating the website. Everything else is nicely organized, it seems. I'm amazed that only three people run that place. That may explain a lot. Three folks who really love slot cars are the only way 3 people could do it. They need a 12 year old nephew to set up their computer inventory next summer. I'm convinced that the best websites are done by 12 year olds who know more about the stuff than the programmers themselves.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:40 pm

:lol: You could well be right there. I'll get one of my editors to suggest it to Sean when they are next talking to him. :)
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Hmmm - I might be in for this one too...
I'm not that familiar with any of the cars mentioned - but that might make it even more fun!
Have any of the parameters regarding running gear, type of track they will be run on, tire type / size suggestions/limits, etc been hashed out yet?

I don't think I will be able to build this one from the spare parts pile since it is such a diversion from what I normally run - so want to know what I might be getting myself into first... ;)

Look forward to hearing the details!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Go back to the beginning of this thread. Its all there for you including a lot of talk about the kind of cars we're talking about and the spirit behind them.

In other news, my surprise entry (a model of an ex-race car I still own) isn't going to happen. I checked for scale, and its 1.5mm or so out of the tolerance limit, which is pretty generous already. I'll build it and post pictures anyway, but I'm not sending a Karmann-Ghia that could eat Chicago to this event. I have several other choices so its no big deal, and its not like I have any work in it so far, anyway.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm

LOL! Wow - I guess I must have been out to lunch when I looked last time - either that I or I somehow missed getting all the way back to the first post... (oops!)

Now to see what I can find available in one of those types of bodies... :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Doesn't anyone make a true scale Karmann Ghia in plastic or resin? I know OCAR made them but I don't know whether they are close to scale or not. I've see the Welly Brand diecasts listed as 1/32. http://www.collectablediecast.com/searc ... search.y=8
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 pm

To answer questions about parts availability, I'll add these suppliers ONLY because I'm familia with their products through purchases I've made for the VRAA proxy builds. I know most of the retail advertisers and sponsors sell scratch built parts, including from the sources below.

D'Art has the 13" and 15" narrow wheels and tires and chassis parts that would fit the specs., as well as inserts, driver figures, etc. http://www.darthobbies.com/

BWA also carries wheels, tire and inserts and chassis parts: http://www.bwaslotcars.com/

From experience the MRRC plastic inline adjustable chassis is an excellent choice for fitting under these tiny cars, and of course it came/comes under many different RTR cars, so they are plentiful.

Penelope Pitlane chassis look nice, I've never built one, but they are currently available.

I.ve built a couple of PC-7 plastic chassis, they work well and awill fit under even the smallest bodies.

Just suggestions!
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I just noticed that the motor isn't only limited to 18,000rpm, its also exclusive to slim can motors. Why? What's important about the slim can? There are 100s more regular motors out there, so it isn't to do with availability, right?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 pm

I think it's more to do with size Rob. The slimline should fit in anything. But they are rather slated for having poor braking.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Lynne put the pin in it. The slim cans I have on hand are problematic with standard 3:1 gearing, because the braking is very weak, and this property isn't helped with standard gearing. It isn't a big deal, I can overcome this kind of thing (if nothing else, just use an MRRC chassis with a slim can and dropped hypoid gears), but these are going to be rather detailed and scale-accurate cars, and it should be said that the inherent delicacy of scale cars is a bad mix with a slim can just because it doesn't stop very well. More than anything, I wanted to know if this had been thought about when the rules were written, and to warn people ahead of time so there aren't a lot of bad feelings when and if a car is innocently smacked into a wall, breaking a lot of parts loose. The memory of my first Carrera NASCAR and how many times I glued that front bumper back on is still fresh in my mind... no brakes.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!