[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

Postby mrollingthunder » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 am

mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: European affordable sports cars from 50's-80's Interest?

Postby Ember » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd love to. My sort of cars. I just don't like my chances at building a chassis and would need a decent lead time.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm interested. I could do my old car, the Fiat 124 Spyder.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mrollingthunder » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:02 am

mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:29 am

I think I would be interested (my first proxy). I, too, have 1:1 experience: 2 Spits, 2 TR3s and an X1/9. Sourcing some of the bodies might be a problem; MGB is easy, Bug Eye and TR4 fairly easy but the others are a bit more difficult........unless a certain California resin caster would like to pop out a few new bodies?????
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:56 am

I'll tell you what Dave, I'll start looking for sources for diecasts/models of things like TR3s, X1/9s, 124 Spyders, Datsun 1600/2000s, Porsche 914s and similar. Just about anything from the 50s to the 80s that had a "small" motor and (relatively) "skinny" tires.
We might consider using the SCX MGAs, Scaley MGBs, Ninco 356s as a size yardstick and motors in the NC-1/MT 1/H&R Jack Rabbit class.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:04 am

It seems to me that 1/32 is poorly served by the die cast manufacturers .

However,Midgets, Sprites and Spitfires are fairly easy to get in in resin. Scalextric do MGA's and B's. There is a German outfit that does X1/9's in resin. You can even get a VW Karmann Ghia(slot car probably goes better than the real thing did!). There's an awful lot out there, and you don't have to look very hard.
For what it's worth, I'd suggest allowing people to enter ready made cars - not everyone can build from scratch, but they're still enthusiastic racers.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 am

I second that. I will probably make a new chassis to go under a body I get from a RTR car, but lots of folks will balk at having to learn a new skill and buy tools for it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Austin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I would enter, I will build my first Scratchbuilt chassis. Damn did Isay that, well I will try. Would think we should keed the motor rpms under 15000 as these were 4 cycliners., but thats your call.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Couldn't agree more, Austin.

I simply can't see the attraction of slot cars that go so fast you can't see them; in fact I wonder if the nerdish obsession with speed didn't contribute to the historic decline of the hobby.

And as you say out and out speed was never the attraction of these cars.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Indeed!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I can't see me building a chassis. Not up for that yet, but I might be able to adjust a plastic one to fit a resin car. Or build a car up with a PCS32 chassis. I'm keen as long as I've got enough time to do it.

Now I keep hearing about this mythical KG shell, but never been able to find one. I'd love to add one to the 'to do' pile.

I'd only yesterday been looking up at my shelf full of kits when the Matchbox MGTF kit caught my eye. Not that I'm promising I can do something with that.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:07 am

Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 am

It's about time Ocar were producing again. They've been unavailable for a mighty long time.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby munter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 am

A question...does the "affordable" tag in the title mean back in the day or present time?

As a body caster I can supply anyone with a Bugeye Sprite, Ferrari 166, Porche 356speedster, Austin Healey, Jag xk120, Alfa Romeo Giullietta coupe, C type Jag, Aston Martin DB2, Mercedes 300sl Gullwing...uh oh, getting into the "unaffordable" department.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!