New 3DP proxy?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

New 3DP proxy?

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 pm

So we had several folks interested in the PPP but ended up with only 4 cars. I know there are a LOT more printers out there than that.

While we have been working on CanAm cars, there is a proxy for those already (although a "print your own" proxy for CanAm cars would be pretty cool).

I found a Gremlin and posted the slot car shell on Thingiverse and had 9 hits in a day. I was laughing the whole time.....but now I am thinking.....
What about an Ugly Car Proxy? Gremlin....Pacer....Pinto (yes, I have all of these).....maybe a couple Euro models similarly horrible....Some of these would be "black window" cars since the windows aren't opened (unless you want to do that work).

Similar idea to the PPP.....but 18K motors, printed body, chassis and guide, podded or not...maybe some allowance for air dams and wings, but no wide flares.....

How many of you with your own printers would enter?
How many would want to host a round? (We only did 3 here in MN for the PPP).

Or is there zero interest in a goofy idea like this?
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New 3DP proxy?

Postby docdoom » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm

YUGO
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Oh yeah.....Yugo. Good one!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm In, not missing out this time.
My suggestion isn't Ugly but just a little different
The Alfa Romeo Carabo!!!

I have a great model of it just begging to be printed.

Cheers
NimROD
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:49 pm

The Carabo, while not the prettiest Alfa, is most definitely not in the class of the Pinto, Yugo, Pacer, etc. Let's see it printed and running though!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:05 pm

If anyone was into northeast dirt track oval racing in the 70's the Gremlin body was the top choice for most modified cars, with the Pinto and Vega also being popular. Yes, just some of the sheet metal from the body was used to skin a purpose built race car chassis, but there was no mistaking that Gremlin look.

If anyone was going to be 3D printing something that could be used to make cars like this, please let me know. Not only am I offering to buy one, if this were to become a proxy option sign me up.

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!