Proxy racing

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Proxy racing

Postby 4424ever » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:55 am

I’ve always wondered how entery fees for a car can cover the shipping cost involved to run a race series. The reason I bring this up is I sent my summer slam car and a magazine to Harry yesterday and it cost me 35 bucks and change ( 18 for the car) I realize everyone is attempting to keep costs low and participation high but $20 for 40 T/A cars to travel around or $5 to send my car back to me after the showdown just doesn’t sound realistic to me or am I off base here?
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Proxy racing

Postby dreinecke » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 am

Great question. I can't speak for the other proxy races, but I'm meticulous in my record keeping and will use the 2017 T/A proxy as an example.

45 Cars entered
$830 collected
$367 for shipping between the tracks
$185 for shipping cars home (45 cars is a HUGE number to return!)
$246 Prizes for Top 6 (Top 3 for O2/U2)
$66 for 2018 Shipping Containers/materials (and we know how that turned out)

I put about $18 of my own money into it (lunch twice for my drivers). Not a big deal, and I've been happy to do so.

The return costs are the biggest - some folks send a USPS Priority Box, meaning I have to reship in the same manner or replace the box. Some folks ship in huge, heavy boxes - meaning return cost is high. With the large number of International entries, you have to figure that in as well.

So, there you have it - budget what you think you'll need to cover.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 am

With the Showdown, I just pay the difference myself.

I realize the cost to build a scratchbuilt car is enough on its own for some folks budgets, so I don’t want to add a large entry/shipping fee.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby 4424ever » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the replies, that’s what I suspected Harry I PP what should be enough to return my car at no expense to you!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 am

For those interested. If just a single destination, its normally the same cost as it is to send. But you can easily reverse the addresses on USPS.COM and get exact amount.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby chappy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:28 am

The cost is what it is, and occasionally on the international ones over enthusiastic customs agents decide to add duties. It takes to long and is too comp.ex to fight so i just pay it to ensure the safety of the cars. Once here though, the shipping isnt too bad. Allan and i have discussed making a Canadian site a final event so the Canadian entries will not have to cross the border twice more and can be sent back to theor Canadian pwners. The other cars are then returned to the Proxy organizer for final returns. It would be nice if everyone could be convinced tomuse the same type of shipping box which would be great for bulk shipping and return to owners. It is something we should discuss in prder to cut costs and make for ease of shipping.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Rleog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 am

My hat's off to all those who host Proxy races. It can be a lot of frustration and, infrequently, can lead to the type of shipping trauma experienced during Mr. Reinecke's Proxy. Hopefully the rewards continue to outweigh the frustrations. Equally hopefully, Mr. Reinecke returns to the Trans Am Proxy after a well earned recuperative break. (We can always hope, Dave)
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:42 pm

I have been a host of the Forums Cup proxy. Never thought to ask for a refund for shipping the cars to the next track until the former moderator mentioned it. Just considered it a part of hosting a proxy. Not sure if I did it last year or not. I mean at the most it might be $25 or 30 priority mail. Bad thing is you can't do standard mail with click & ship. Well 15 pounds in zones 2- 4 is the same rate priority or ground rates. $25.95. I wouldn't think 30 cars would be much heavier than that.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 pm

I have started and hosted two proxies on HRW. In each case I tried to calculate the cost of shipping, including return. On my first proxy I came out within a few dollars of even. My second proxy was kind of expensive for me. I didn't check with the Post Office and rates had gone up. Since I had already set the entry fee on what I thought was right, I paid the difference, rather than ask for more money. I don't remember the amount, but it was well north of $50.00. A few in the proxy offered to send additional money to help cover the shortfall, but it was my mistake, not theirs. I did have one person who wasn't entered into the race send me an email blasting me for my poor estimating. I will also note that all of my race fees have included a $10.00 surcharge, that was sent to Harry as a donation to the site as soon as the fees are collected. I think that is only fair as without this site, there would have been no proxy, and/or no one would have heard about it. But as Mr. Reinecke said, the reward is the race, and that is enough.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm

I don't do proxies anymore, but when I did, I was amazed at the generosity that was displayed by the hosts. I was always pleased to see that people thanked them for all they did.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chappy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Proxies are a lot of work , just ask any organizer. So its not just getting the cars and racing them, not just fixing those with issues, not just paying little extras. It is a real organizing nightmare at times. Cars with the same numbers , ensuring equality in qualifications and racing , keeping notes to answer questions , sorting through specific cars notes to ensure it is set according to the owners specs. Finding a date that works for all the drivers and marshalls, recording and phototaking , record keeping , ensuring all the cars get run in proper order, , no missed laps , no added laps. Doing the reports for qually results then race results then repacking just as it was unpacked , reporting on problem cars, and then the post on the forum and then the post to the next host. All the while as the host you likely didnt even get to drive the cars . And thats just the host , The organizer has even more to do , setting up the proxy, the fina ces the entries the dates receiving the entries , perhaps the concours , prizes , shipping addresses, maintaining the schedules , boxing up all the cars in the transportation crate, making sure all your cars are carefully wrapped and packaged for the start of the trip around the proxy curcuit.
All for the love of the hobby and to help it thrive.
No gold medals , no rewards , just that of having the pleasure of seeing the running all of the entrants cars .
Money usually dosent even enter the equation beyond the entry fees.
But it is a love affair of the hobby.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:47 pm

From time to time, I try to look for proxy races I can send in a few extra entry fees for, because somebody always winds up getting stuck with a little (or large) fee of some sort in the these things. I bet I'm not the only one, either.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!