SCCA Early Days Proxy - Just Noodling........

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: SCCA Early Days Proxy - Just Noodling........

Postby Audi1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:36 am

What Ferrari is that, Alexis? Very nice looking!

Ah, the 166/212 - that car ran the La Carrera PanAmericana, too - and won!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby alexis in greece » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:36 am

Its the Uovo(egg) 1 piece ever made,,repaint of the Carrera original, -the ugliest Ferrari for me- but i dont think it ever raced the La Carrera PanAmericana.But it almost won the Mille Miglia,Count Marzotto (owner and driver) felt that something was turning out of round in the rear axle so he retired the car fearing the rear axle would fall apart.Post race examination showed the reason was a bubble on the inside of one of the rear tyres ,thus not easily visible,which he had more than enough time to change and still remain first.
alexis in greece
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:27 pm

You're right, Alexis, it was the 212 Intervignale that ran and won the La Carrera PanAmericana race.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Allan, roughly what rpm are you looking for from our motors? 14k, 16k tuna or 18k? I know I'm supposed to wait until after the Can Am but I'm sitting on an airport runway and I can't think of a better way to kill time than asking questions on HRW. :D
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 am

Hi Tony, See page 3 of this thread for a more detailed discussion on motors for this proxy. Here's a short synopsis of where I think we are at this point.

Several racers wanted to have a slimline option for this proxy, while several others wanted a spec S-can motor to help to level the playing field. These motors have different characteristics; with the S-cans, generally, having substantially more torque. We looked around at ways to level the S-can/slimline playing field and this it what we came up with; it's still a work in process.

The product of rpm and torque is power, measured in Watts. So, we hunted for power-matched S-cans and slimlines. What we found was that the HR& Hawk S-can and the Policar PMX01 slimline come out to be pretty even in the power category, with the Hawk being 18k rpm, 140 gcm torque and 6.3 Watts power and the PMX01 being 25k rpm, 95 gcm torque and 6.0 Watts power, both based on manufacturer's specs.

So, those could well be the spec motors for this proxy, since both are readily available.

On the other side, there are those races who don't like spec motors and who want more choice in that area. A possible solution could be to have these two spec motors, but to allow other to be used, as long as they did not exceed the rpm and torque combination of the spec motors, as measured by the manufacturer's specs.

One could envision a motor rule that said something to this effect:

Motors

The motors for this proxy are the H&R Hawk (18k rpm - 140 g.cm) and the Policar PMX01 (25k rpm - 95 g.cm). Other S-can and slimline motors are also allowed as long as they neither exceed the rpm nor the torque of these two motors, based on manufacturer's specs.

There will be those who will argue that the actual specs of motors can, and often times do, vary from the stated manufacturer's specs, and this is true. But, I think we have to draw the line somewhere and the manufacturer's spec is where I think it's fair to draw it.

This is still just noodling, but I think it's directionally correct.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 am

This helps a ton. Looks like I need to order up a few motors.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ALS » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:52 am

Hello Alan count me in # 65 thankyou ALS
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 am

More details on this proxy right after the start-up date for the Can-Am Proxy; May 1st - stay tuned.

As a pre-announcement hint, we'll have two divisions, just like SCCA ran for most of the time during the '51-'66 seasons; Production and Modified. The Production cars will run against each other and the Modifieds will run against each other. So, two winners for each Round and, of course, an overall winner for each Round. Three bites at the apple for everyone! Plus a concourse just before the first race.

So, start thinking about whether you want to race in the Production or the Modified Division. Plan is, as of right now, to have a 40 car maximum; just like the current Can-Am Proxy; 20 cars in the Production Division; 20 in the Modified Division. If one division fills up, then only entries for the other division will be taken from that point on. One entry per racer - that's the plan.

I just got my Corvette C2 Sting Ray in from MRRC the other day, so I'm headed for the B class Production Division (BP). Also got a King Cobra - just in case I modify my thinking............. ;)

BTW - some great news! Thompson (studioRS) is going to be doing up an SCCA decal sheet that I'll be sending out to each pre-registered racer. It will have decals for the Production and the Modified divisions that you can put on your car. AP, BP, CP, etc. and AM (not sure there ever was an AM car...........), BM, CM, etc., plus a lot of period sponsor logos. Just like it used to be in the heyday of SCCA racing in the US.

There are a huge number of cars to choose from in the two divisions. The best way to get a bead on them is to look on the website "racingsportscars", go to SCCA Championship and then look through all of the races, for all of the year (all of the entered cars for every event are given on this website). That's a lot of fun, in and of itself.

More to come.......

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DRW21 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm in!!!
Not sure yet of what division or number but I like the idea of 1 car per entrant, lets more guys enjoy the fun.
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Awesome news on the decals Allan, I loved the Pan America set I got.
So been thinking about cars, I have 2 options to choose from as I 've done some research. So I plenty of time to build.
At what point do you want to start accepting entries / car number reservations? I see some are already asking to hold numbers and we don't even have an official event yet!
Glad to see so much interest in this event, I only hope we get that for the F1 event down the road. ( Not like I already have a car for that set aside). :)
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 pm

I'll probably put up an official Rules and Registration post sometime during the first week in May; so a little over 2 weeks from now. That's the plan...........

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Are you planning on a particular time period?
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 am

the period will be '51-'65. That takes us up to the Can-Am, which was '66-'74, so it's a reasonably good compliment.

The whole idea for this SCCA proxy came from a few laments that we had when we started up the Can-Am proxy; some people wanted to run the earlier Lotuses; such as the type 19, type 23 and type 30. This is their opportunity to do so now - along with a whole slew of other great cars.

I really wish that someone did a resin or IM plastic or 3DP version of the Elva Mk VIII - that was a great Modified SCCA car...............

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Wow, that looks awesome, Allan!
Wish more of those kinds of kits were available.

I'm thinking something a little more posh and rich guy toyish...

You know, something out of the book "The Last Open Road"!!!! :D
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Or something really sweet like this!!!! Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta

Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!