[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Why no bearings

Why no bearings

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Why no bearings

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 am

I guess I must be missing something with respect to bearings. Not sure why there is an aversion to using bearings, but I guess there must be some reason. They cost less then a set of urethane tires so it can't be cost.

I have found the performance about the same between oiled bushings and bearings. I find bushings tend to require oiling more frequently, and not oiling them will hamper performance. Is it standard procedure for track host to lube all the cars prior to running?

I am just wondering why bearings have been singled out as unwanted in proxy racing as it would seem to me that the fact that they require less lubrication would be a welcome thing on the proxy circuit.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Why no bearings

Postby CrockettNZ » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 am

that's a good question
I have not banned them from proxy's that I run and like to use them when I can
I do believe they have a lot less friction than Bushes
I tested a couple of chassis a while back { 1 with bushes and 1 with bearings } with the free rolling test on a hard flat surface
and the chassis with bearings rolled twice as far as the one with oiled bushes
and with the right axle you get a tight fit so no need for axle spacers or need for the motor shaft sitting in the crown gear
so way less friction and in my book isn't that what we are aiming for in car set up
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue May 08, 2018 7:55 am

I use Oilite bushings, they are impregnated with oil so as you run them they oil themselves, I did build a bunch of cars with bearings but on my home track did not see any advantage, maybe commercial racers would benefit from them more
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 am

I've seen oillite bushing cars out run bearing cars and vise versa. I think it truly come down to alignment and set up for both as well as the trigger hand that's driving the car.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

I really do not see sufficient (if any!) advantage in ball bearings that would justify excluding them, nor do I see much point in doing so. But then again: I have participated in many proxies and only in one have they been specifically disallowed. Really does not matter to me.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am

I believe I was told that the oil in Oilites is to keep the bearing from overheating, not specifically to lubricate. That would explain why the instructions for Oilites always includes lubrication.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RazorJon » Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby BARC 1 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I do see that the proxies being run that I am entering still state no bearings. Seems like with the wide variation in actual rpm of 18 K motors, the bearings really aren't much of the real issue. Just wondering if this exclusion is just continuing forward as the rules get reposted. The rules are the rules, but if some rule continues with no real concern either way, then why not just drop the exclusion.

As I said earlier bearings are cheaper then bushings in most cases now. So it is not even a matter of keeping costs down.

Just brought this up to get some thoughts and dialogue over it. Hoping one day this exclusion will be dropped.

I noticed the Lotus 30 I had in mind for the SCCA proxy has bearings, so I will have to use or build a different chassis with bushing instead.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue May 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Maybe it is a case of there being differing standards in bearings - I have seen bearings on the front of a 1/24 car that if you give them a spin they go for minutes. Whereas other bearings are similar in performance to brass or plastic bushings

One thing I haven't been sure of with bearings is should the bearing be tight on the axle or lose like with brass bushings
Last edited by Dangermouse on Tue May 08, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue May 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Well if you take some oilites, put them on the bottom of Mrs Iron, let them heat up and put oil in the center, watch it being absorbed as the bushing expands, then carefully take them off with tweezers and place on paper to cool, they will work even better than when new. Just a little trick i learned on my slot car journey.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!