[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Somebody Call a Doctor.............

Somebody Call a Doctor.............

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Somebody Call a Doctor.............

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm

I did a little digging, and the SMER models are still being made! The Mercer, Rolls-Royce, and Packhard are all 1/32nd. The Rolls looks a little too iconic for our use, but the Mercer and the Packhard are both easily a source for body parts that can be kitbashed into many different cars, just like the old Highway Pioneer series, which is difficult to find.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:26 pm

That is good to hear! Will have to check out the other two models! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I will retract my suggestion of front motored. I'm not sure where that came from especially from me, as I am always an Open, less rules make it better kind of guy. I still plan on going that route, but let's keep the rules Open.

That Mercer Raceabout is an ideal car to build. The 1911 Indy had several in it, as they were the sports car of their day, and the fenders could be removed for racing in less than an hour. I already have my wood carving tools out, and think a Mercer is doable, even if I can't find a kit.

I googled and found a set of drawings for it and now just need the wheelbase to set the scale correctly.

This is all I need right now, another time consuming car to build. Should be a challenge, and fun.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 pm

YEEHAH!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:28 pm

You sure deserve the gratification for building that Marmom Wasp. That thing was awesome tonight and ran twice as fast as I expected and most of all didn't roll on every turn.

With big tires and high CG I expected a car that had to be driven slowly to stay on the track. Oops, I should be saying this on the Indy 100 thread, but we will all face that challenge with our cars for this one.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey guys - if anyone is looking for one of the Mercer kits - I received a "now available" email from the hobby shop linked below.
(I had queried them when I was originally looking for one of these kits)

Happy hunting!
http://www.modelskitsrcbits.co.uk/product/s954
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:47 pm

This thread seems to have fallen silent, and I hope it isn't from lack of interest in this project. I know Allan has been away, and others may have been busy with other projects but I have been quietly working on making wooden spoked wheels and skinny tires for 1911 racers.

I got advice from our two professional 3D shops, and thanks to both Matt from Changing Gearz and Jeremy from Devis3d Designs, I have come up with a method for making wooden spoked wheels that should work. My friend Ron has written the file for printing the wheels in clear plastic. The wheel itself will be like an insert wheel but with the hub and spokes in low relief as an integral part of the wheel. The hub, spokes and rim can then be painted (carefully) and the clear backing of the wheel will look like air. Ron is also making a buck for a urethane tire to fit this wheel, which will be cast and put on the finished wheels. A couple extra tires can even be hung on the back.

For now, the wheels will have to be glued on to the axles, but why not, most RTR slot cars have press on plastic wheels. I have a chassis that is finished and not in use, and I will test the wheels on it to see if they are strong enough. Once the test is completed we will know if it is worth making more.

So I haven't given up on this proxy idea, and I hope the rest of you are still in as well.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 am

Nope, I'm still here and very interested in this proxy. But, with a car to build for the Group 5 NA proxy, one for the Carrera Scramble and two for the La Carrera Panamericana-2; all before November 25th, I haven't spent any time on it yet.

Plus............I still have a Wasp sitting in the wings somewhere out there in the 100 Years of Indy proxy..................... :mrgreen: But, I'm actually thinking about building out the first Chevy entry.........that would be a trip! And then there's, at that time, the Benz.

The solution for the wooden spoke wheels sounds great! Working with Matt at Changing Gearz is always a pleasure.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:26 am

Keith -
That sounds like a slick idea with the clear wheel! I hope that works as it would definitely help with one of the stumbling blocks!
I haven't touched mine in a bit - but it isn't due to lack of interest - just other things distracting... :)
Keep the updates coming!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 am

Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:43 am

Hi Keith, The wheels look great! As you say, it will be interesting to see how they stand up to racing since they're 3DP'd. Nice looking chassis, as always. Will be fun to see the body work develop around the frame. Nice of Luf to cast those tires for you; they will really make the car look authentic.

I know what you mean about challenging cars being more fun (and taking up much more time!). It was the same with me with the Marmon Wasp. Not nearly as complex as what you've undertaken here, but of the same ilk.

Bring it on!

Allan

PS If we were back in medieval times, I would say that just the look of the flying pinion would be enough to make even the strongest fortresses open their doors................! :lol:
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 am

WOW! That is coming along great!
I need to get back on mine here!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:32 pm

I need to get busy on this thing. You shame me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Audi1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!