[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 2016 CanAm Proxy - SoCal round August 20.

2016 CanAm Proxy - SoCal round August 20.

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

2016 CanAm Proxy - SoCal round August 20.

Postby gascarnut » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi there!

I'm not sure what round number this is, but the next round of the 2016 HRW CanAm proxy will be run at the Pebblestone Model Car Circuit in Irvine CA on August 20.

Racing will start with qualifying at 2:00pm PDT, and will be followed by each car being driven at twice on each of the three lanes of the track for 2 minutes at a time, to make 12 minutes of racing per car. The two heats will feature two sets of drivers. Drivers remain on a single lane and drive each car as they cycle through.

Here's the track:

Power is set at 12 volts DC, and controllers are either the track Professor Motor diode controllers or each driver's personal controller if he so wishes. The track is braided, and the surface is UMA paint, which provides good grip to either urethane or rubber.

Race control is by Trackmate, and I will be installing the very latest upgrades so that we have the Qualifying module to use for the first time. Looking forward to that as it relieves me of a lot of record keeping and sorting!

I will also be streaming the proceedings, starting with qualifying at around 2:00pm PDT. The stream can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/samsonclassics

If you want to view previous action, there's coverage of the TranAm races in the Highlights section: https://www.twitch.tv/samsonclassics/profile/highlights

The cars have arrived, but unfortunately I am away on business so they are still in the shipping box. I will unpack them FRiday night for a quick visual check to ensure they are ready for Saturday.

Good luck to all, I know I and the other drivers are all looking forward to running these cars.

Dennis
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 2016 CanAm Proxy - SoCal round August 20.

Postby dreinecke » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Can't wait! Thanks for hosting!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:48 am

Sounds good, Dennis. Looking forward to the race. :handgestures-thumbup:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Dennis,

I'm watching the live stream and it's a series of micro stops and starts; it's not smooth. I'm not sure if the problem is on my end or on the feed end.

Is there anything you can do or I can do to make the stream smoother?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm

It was fantastic to see peoples reaction to the Shadow in the qualifier.
Very cool broadcast.

Thanks for running this round - looks like a great track!
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Firstly, my apologies for the poor quality of the streaming yesterday. I was stretched to the limit in terms of time to get everything working as I had only returned from a business trip late Friday night, and had to install all the streaming software and get it working on a new laptop. Next time I am going to try hard-wiring the laptop to our cable modem rather than using the wifi, it may be better that way.

Regardless, we all had a great time running your wonderful cars. In general the quality of the entries is very high and certainly ona par with any of the best sets of Proxy cars that we have run here over the last 6 or 7 years.

Tim Neja did the qualifying honors this time, and the results looked like this:

Once this was in the books, we split the cars into two groups, the slower 10 cars into group 1 and the faster 9 into group 2. Then we ran each group for two minutes per lane twice with two sets of drivers.

Group 1 had Christophe DeLuy, Eddie Shorer and Bryan Warmack as the first set of drivers, then Tim Neja, Phil Nyland and Marc Franco as the second set.

Group 2 saw Mill Conroy, Tom Eatherly and Jim Lane take over for the first round, followed by a repeat from Phil and Tim with Dennis (me) for the second set.

Once the racing was over, the results overall looked like this:

There were some close finishes down the order, and a few surprises comparing race results to qualifying. We had a number of heats with very close races.

Fast times for each car were as follows:

For Keith - I labelled your Chaparral 2A as #65a and the 2E as #65b.

Here are two action shots, and the podium cars;

Later today I will edit the stream into some highlights so they will stay available on Twitch for some time, use the link shown in my previous post.

Damage Report:

Unfortunately there is a little bit of damage to two cars:

Car $: This car had a tendency to deslot on the top of the bridge section and hit the wall a few time, cracking the right front corner of the body. During the racing, I merely taped it back, but should I repair this before sending the cars on to the next venue?

Car 5: The crown gear of this car was already quite noisy during qualifying, and just got worse to the point where it only just managed to complete the last minute of racing. I can replace the gear, I think I have a spare of that size.

Other than that, no cars suffered.

Some impressions:

Obviously from the results here and in previous rounds, Chris' #60 McLaren is the class of the field. The car just has great tires and is very well sorted.

Car 917 was also good, its NSR rubber tires worked well on my track in among all the urethane runners, which surprised me a little as this is not often the case.

Keith's 2A was a nice car to drive, could have had a bit more motor.

Allan's two cars were both good, the #48 worked as one would expect a Slot.it Mclaren to work, and the Brumos 917/10 was a good-handling car especially for an inline and for a first scratchbuilding attempt.

Other cars suffered from a lack of side traction, there was quite a difference in grip levels across the various makes of urethane tires used, and possibly as a result of the way they were ground and prepared as well. In general though the cars were all fun to drive and as usual we had a great day of racing.

Thanks again for letting us play with your toys!

Dennis
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for running this Round and reporting out the quali and race results, Dennis and team! Great job all around! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Congrats to Chris on his win and to Tony on his nice second place finish!! :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for the round, the reports and results. I missed the stream, but will look forward to the highlights.

Great job guys,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for so thoroughly evaluating this field of cars. Racing twice on each lane with different drivers for a total of twelve minutes of racing not only gives your club enthusiasts the chance to experience these cars but it lends an added measure of validity to your results.

Congratulations to the podium finishers and thanks again for running an excellent Can Am round. :text-bravo: :text-bravo:
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I have replaced the gear in the #5 car with a similar Fly racing gear, I did not have a Slot.it gear the same size. It meshes well and the car runs smooth now. I also applied some grease in the groove of the gear where the pinion shaft runs. That was the problem with the previous gear, no lubrication so the brass wore and the mesh got loose until it stripped. I will send the old gear back with the car so Urbanwarrior can review the damage.

Matt, I have re glued the broken section of the Shadow's nose, and will extend the two pieces of black tape a little further up the nose for extra protection.

Dennis
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks for the run as well as the shocking finish man you guys can flat out drive. Congratulations to the #60 and the #48 also.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Hats off to the podium finishers. Got to do better. Thanks to all who helped put this round together. Great pictures at a fine track.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:19 am

Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!