[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Open wheel Fun Run Proxy?

Open wheel Fun Run Proxy?

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Open wheel Fun Run Proxy?

Postby Audi1 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:38 pm

I was watching the Indy 500 today and I started thinking.......maybe we need an open wheel fun run/proxy(?) I know that we have the 100th Year of Indy Proxy getting ready to start, but I was thinking more of modern Indy cars/F1 cars, etc.

I've heard a lot of people say that you can't run these cars in a proxy race because of the fragile front ends. But, I'm not sure whether that's based on recent experiences or if it's leftover from the days when we used to run these cars with magnets at 12V.

I think that these cars can be "tamed" to make them sturdy enough to be driven in proxy races. Here are some of my thoughts on rules:

1. 1/32 scale
2. F1, Indy car, CART, etc. (1985 on model years)
3. plastic or resin bodies
4. motors - still under consideration
5. gearing - open
6. bushings - open
7. axles - open
8. wheels - open (F1 style after market wheels OK front and rear)
9. tires - rubber or urethane
10. chassis reinforcement - OK
11. front axle reinforcement - OK
12. no magnets
13. no duplicate numbers
14. all tracks run at 10V

Just some initial thoughts. Let me know what you think about them and about the feasibility of an open wheel fun run/proxy.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Open wheel Fun Run/Proxy?

Postby chappy » Sun May 29, 2016 6:42 pm

I dont see any reason it wouldnt work Allan.
I think with the care our hosts use we shouldnt need to worry about them getting trashed.
Might be a fun exercise in bullet proofing too.
I would be Interested, and the cars could run both oval and roadcourse.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:00 pm

I will probably enter, but I'd rather see a few more entries for our Indy (Open Wheel) proxy.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:36 am

This wouldn't kick-off for awhile, since we're pretty flush with fun runs/proxies right now. I don't mean to get this in the way of the 100 Years of Indy Proxy. It's just a thought I had yesterday after watching the race, so I thought I'd gauge the interest of the members and, if there is interest, then proceed from there.

I did do a little poking around yesterday on one of the hobby supplier sites; just to see what kind of availability there is for these cars. Here's what I found:

40 Scalextric F1 cars
15 Carrera F1 cars
2 Scalextric IRL cars
2 Ninco F1 cars
2 SCX F1 cars

This would be in addition to cars that are no longer in production, but are probably part of the collection of most slot car racers. So, it doesn't look like availability is an issues for these "modern" open wheel cars.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bookie » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 am

1975 and on ?
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:07 am

I was thinking '85 on (open wheel cars, midships engines, with front and rear spoilers), but we're open to ideas at this point. I'll take a look at F1 body styles for years before '85.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 am

I just scrolled back through the F1 years/body styles and front and rear spoilers were in the making in the 1968-69 season and were definitely in full swing by 1970. So, '75 and on would be fine from my standpoint. I use Ferrari F1 body styles as a guide, so I could be off a little, in terms of when other teams introduced front and rear spoilers.

I was thinking outside of the years that Scalextric has targeted with their F1 Legends series cars

1969 Ferrari:

1970 Ferrari:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:20 am

No limitations on chassis, Dave - brass/piano wire, plastic or any other material is fine.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 am

Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue May 31, 2016 1:00 pm

Heck yeah if that March come out, I'd be in.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 pm

I looked at all my open wheeled cars. I have an IRL car, Dan Weldon Indy winner, and a six wheel Tyrell, but they have S-can motors. I have a Gilles Villeneuve McLaren, too early for the original rules, but now ok. I have a Fly JPS Lotus and a Senna McLaren, but definitely too fragile and already damaged. That leaves me with a Schumacher Ferrari and Mercedes, either of which will be perfect, so I am in for one of them.

Cheers,

Keith
Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Chris (chrisguyw) clarified an issue that several of you could face in building out an open wheel car for this race that goes back into the '75-'95 timeframe and that is that a lot of those cars, like Retro Racer 44 refers to, have S-can (FC-130) motors in them; not FF-050 slim cans.

So, in order to make this work for those who want to run the older Scalextric, Fly, Ninco or SCX open wheel cars, we'll need to add an S-can motor to the FF-050 motor. I think that the best way to go would be to go to the Ninco NC1 -motor, which has the following specs vs. the M/T SL-1 slim can:

M/T SL-1 (FF-0050) 13,600 rpm, 74g-cm torque, 2.6 W power

Ninco NC-1 (FF-130) 13,500 rpm, 77 g-cm torque, 2.6 W power (note: the rpm rating on the Ninco NC-1 motor is 15,700 at 14.8 V; at 12V it has been measured at 13,500)

If the NC-1 turns out to be a problem, then we can look at another S-can motor; perhaps the M/T-1; although that one rates 14,000 rpm, 96 g-cm torque and 3.2 W power.

I understand that those open wheel cars that have long can motors (FF-180) can be made to work with S-can motors using an available adapter.

I'll ask Chris to add info on this topic; as I may not have stated the issue and the potential solutions incorrectly.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm

I like the idea of several available motors, and would suggest this list:

M/T-1, BWA NC-1, and Ninco NC-1. These are all S-cans and are probably in most people's parts boxes or readily available.

M/T SL-1 and BWA 050 are FF 050 motors of about the same RPM and torque.

Although I now have a supply of them, I don't think we should include H&R Jackrabbit in this list.

All five of these motors are sufficiently close to allow good tight racing, but the Jackrabbit is the next step up.

That said, by not allowing the stock motors, we exclude rookie participants who might just tune the stock RTR cars. Most stock motors are considerably faster, however, and that would increase the risk of damage to the cars.

This discussion is good.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!