Worldwide Digital Proxy

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Worldwide Digital Proxy

Postby CJR » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:00 am

Well I am already looking forward to the next one. I don't have a digital track but I am learning about tuning and other aspects of proxy racing. Looking at the eligible models there are lots to choose from and some surprises that didn't appear in this event.
Aston-Martin Vantage, Audi R8 GRS, BMW M3 GT2, BMW Z4 GT3, Corvette C6R, Corvette C7R, Ferrari 599xx, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ford GT (new model}, Lamborghini Huracan, Mercedes-Benz SLR GT, Mercedes-Benz AMG GT3, Mercedes-Benz McLaren GT CBR, Nissan GTR, Porsche GT3 RSR, Porsche 918, LaFerrari (just put a number on it).

I'm rereading the thread and I feel that I need to also thank Burrell for all of his work with the ideas and organising.
Last edited by CJR on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks for the great run with my Vette guys!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby R/TRandy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:17 am

:banana-dance: Congratulations! CJR! :banana-dance:

Burrell, Thanks for hosting the last leg of the proxy. Looks like it was another round of great racing.

Randy
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 am

This really was an eventful and interesting proxy race. We learned a lot in this inaugural digital proxy. I want to thank the 13 racers who participated and to those who hosted, all of you have made slot car history! Congratulations to CJR - you will receive a brand new Carrera digital C7R, thanks to the generous donation of our host here - Harry.

Some of my observations, based on driving in two of the heats (mine, and Burrell's). First, for the most part the Carrera cars were all pretty evenly matched, except for the Corvettes. Not sure why, but both of the C7s were noticeably quicker. This is somewhat obvious as you look at the results. In the future I think there should be more tuning allowed to let the cars reach their full potential. It was difficult to use the fuel simulation without either having some expensive add-ons (driver's stations) or headlights. Without fuel stops a big part of the realism of racing was missing. In the future a requirement will be that all cars must have headlights. Timing and scoring was an issue. It is really clear that the Carrera Race app is not robust enough to play in prime time. I don't understand this, and it really is a pity since the poor performance seems avoidable with the application of a little more effort. This, for me, is where I found the biggest take away. The last two races (Buspor and Burrell) and the make-up race on my track were all scored with Mr. Yingling's program. The difference between the performance of an actual computer program and the app was a revelation. With the exception of a few minor (very minor) glitches Mr. Yingling's program was outstanding. It handled all the heats, including timing, scoring and fuel stops perfectly. Having a track call feature proved to be an important factor for keeping the racing more fair without having a bunch of marshals to assist. Race totals and car rotations were handled easily and the results were tabulated for each driver, making the racing go much more efficiently. It is truly the program to have if you are racing Carrera digital and have access to a PC computer. Aside from having the program available for the Mac OS, the only other suggestion I could make, would be for Alice (the chosen voice of the race manager) to calm down a little bit when a fast lap was completed. She got so excited every time a car posted its fastest lap that she loudly expelled an enormous amount of flatulence. Burrell says that can be changed. In the future, I would suggest that everyone who has access to a PC (until a Mac version is released) use this program. I would also suggest that Carrera buy the intellectual rights to this program, or put Mr. Yingling on the payroll. I know my description of Mr. Yingling's software will surprise some of you. But, my issues with him have never been about his program or its capabilities. The program didn't work for the second round of racing and I had never seen it in operation. When it works it is very good.

I will conclude by saying that we will have another digital proxy and now that the Carson chip is available, it will not be limited to Carrera cars, or Carrera tracks. I hope more of you will join us for the next one and continue to push the boundaries of digital racing.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 am

I use Bruce's software and concur. With an old PC and decent monitor you will really up the game by using this shareware. Forget the Carrera driver stations. Instead put the money into buying an old PC if you don't have one lying around. You can probably find one for less then a driver station. The race management and control is very good. Fortunately for me, I went right to Bruce's software at the very start. I didn't bother with the driver stations or leader board. The software does it all and displays all the info you need to run and race. You can also customize the sounds to your own needs. It is just a case of creating your own wav files and then renaming them to replace the stock sounds in the appropriate folder. So in the case of the fasted lap, record your own, and name it the same as the fast lap file required. Rename the stock sound by placing a one in front of it, and then give your custom sound the same name as the original fast lap file. The software will now play the custom sound.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Josh S » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Congratulations to the winner!

I will certainly be joining in on the next one! :D
Last edited by Josh S on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh S
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Lance wanted to know who entered what car. So here's the grid with entrant names.

There were only 3 fantasy liveries. All the other cars were factory paint. Here are the fantasy cars. The owners are, in order, BARC, TuscoTodd, and Buspor63.

Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I've stated a new thread for feedback about this proxy and ideas/suggestions for the next one. I think it needs to be a new thread because the only people reading this one are most likely entrants and a few other interested parties. I hope a new thread in the Digital Forum might get new eyes on it for potential new entrants.

Here's the link to the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16182
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:17 am

I would like to thank Czar and Burrell for running the proxy! It was a lot of fun to be part of, so thanks for all your efforts :text-thankyouyellow:
We had a few glitches here and there, but I would say that overall it was a great success!
It was a lot fun to run everyone's cars here on my track, so also thanks to all who had cars in the proxy.

Looking forward to the next one!
Randy
Last edited by R/TRandy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 am

Thank you for the additional pictures of the cars guys. :)
It is nice to see them matched up with the owner names for those of us that can't host.

Being one of the "analog guys" that jumped in to help support this - it has definitely been interesting series to follow! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Burrell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I just wanted to update everyone on car returns. My schedule hasn't allowed me to get to the post office yet this week before closing, but I have the day off on Friday and will get them dropped off then.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrFlippant » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm

WooHoo! Not last! :)
I call that a win. :)

But seriously, thanks to all who organized and participated in this FIRST Digital proxy in the world! Love it!

I'm in for the next one. :)

Oh yeah... I got my car back. Sadly, I've been so busy lately that it reminded me about this proxy. :\
MrFlippant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:11 am

I can hardly wait for the next one. Looking forward to the decision of which cars we will run.
I also got my car back. Thanks Burrell.
Fun proxy and thanks for all the Hosts, organizers and participants.
Lance
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burrell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am

I'm glad to hear that all the cars are arriving home. I mailed all of them out last Friday, except for Buspor and CJR. For those curious, I will hand deliver Buspor's car and I'm waiting to see Czar and get CJR's winner's prize to ship with his car.

So if you don't receive them soon, let me know and we can check the tracking.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!