A Very Special Prize...

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

A Very Special Prize...

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 am

The racer to the right in the accompanying photo is Benoit Harvey. Benoit is a member of Team Quebec that competed in the Area 51 Raceway 24 Hour Endurance Race this past weekend. Team Quebec won the event and Benoit is accepting the 1st Place Award on behalf of his team. What the picture doesn’t show is an incredible backstory that led up to this moment.

I have known Benoit for several years – we met while I was visiting Quebec City and Montreal to race slot cars with some of the local racers. Benoit has also visited Area 51 Raceway and has competed in the Michigan 24 Hour Endurance Race. We generally see each other 2-3 times per year.

A little over a year ago, Benoit gave us all quite a scare when we learned he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was difficult to believe – Benoit is relatively young, does not smoke and takes good care of himself. How could this possibly be happening?

Because of his cancer treatments and recovery, Benoit was not able to join us at last year's Area 51 Race or the 2014 Michigan 24 Race held earlier this year. However, one of the racers (Rob Hall) took it upon himself to take up a collection for Benoit to help with his expenses. Many of the racers had family and friends who were affected by this terrible disease and the group raised several hundred dollars. The Michigan 24 racers also sent along a Slot.it Lancia LC2 car as a reminder his slot racing friends were thinking of him. Benoit was very touched by our gesture and elected to donate the money to the cancer center where he was battling this disease.

I’m very happy to report that Benoit is now cancer free. Some of us had seen him in June while racing in Montreal. We were very happy Benoit was able to join Team Quebec to race with us over this past weekend. But the story doesn’t quite end there. You see, it turns out that Benoit also built and tuned Team Quebec’s race winning car. What kind of car was it? A Slot.it Lancia LC2 – the same one we gave him earlier this year. Most of the racers at Area 51 this past weekend were familiar with this story; however, Benoit asked his good friend Rob Hall to share it. It was very emotional - let’s just say there weren’t too many dry eyes for a few minutes.

So when you look at this picture, it would be very easy to miss the prize that really matters - having Benoit in our presence and healthy. We race hard on the track but in the end, where we finish or winning a glass award is not nearly as important as spending quality time with our friends. Just ask anyone who knows Benoit.

:)
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Re: A Very Special Prize...

Postby turbokev » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:22 am

Great story! :text-goodpost:

(and super cool trophy too!)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 am

That is awesome on all accounts!
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Rleog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:40 am

Congratulations to Benoit, a very talented and humble person, and to Team Quebec, a classy team throughout. Safe to say that we were all moved by his story, and happy to have raced with him.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:24 am

Way to go Benoit on all the accomplishments !!
I also was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2003 (age 43).I NEVER smoked either.
Having to go through chemo and radiation was quite the challenge.
I returned to work for 5 years then started to lose feeling in my left arm/hand/and had bad headaches. My Lymphoma was in my neck.
After finally being approved for an MRI, it was discovered that my cervical spine was a mess. I now have a plate that separates 3 vertabrae with 6 screws used.
Life is not the same sadly because I used to golf 3-4 times a week.
Now I race slot cars and this hobby and the people associated with it are just AWESOME !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Almafan 55 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:00 pm

A little something on this AMAZING story.
I sure never thought that an idea,a cardboard box and raffle tickets would have started a life changing story. Beniot and I started racing slotcars around the same time.but in 2 different countries. I first met him at the Mi 24hr race here in Michigan. We weren't very good! Maybe that's how we bonded? When we found out he had cancer, we were ask to keep him in our thoughts and prayers. At the Area 51 race in 2013 ( a race he wanted to attend)we all talked to him via Skype. I told him to keep up his fight and we'll see him next year.
Keeping update on his progress,we were told he was winning his fight. So I thought we could add something to the 2014 Mi 24 hr race,by raising a little money for the place or person that helped Beniot the most during his recovery. Steve's post tells the Amazing end !!! I was just so happy to see him healthy and racing with us! But that he built that same car and his team totally kick our butts was the icing on the cake!
I have been so overwhelmed by this life changing experience. I THANK YOU ALL!!!
Again, it's a slot racer's fund raiser, not mine. Without you guys this would have meant nothing! The Friendship we share,the big laughs we laugh, the Hello's & Good bye's are why we do this! Plus we get to race for 24 hrs.
Beniot, YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :text-thankyouyellow:
Almafan 55
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 pm

I really wish there was a like button that I could press. As always really great to see all the guys from Quebec. It was really great to see that Benoit was doing so well and looking in great shape. Can't wait for the Michigan 24 Hour.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm

x2 on the LIKE button!

Great story and I'm so happy to hear Benoit is doing so well! Excellent news and glad to hear his tuning skills are razor sharp.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 am

November 13 is World Kindness Day

What an appropriate story to share about the kindness of others when someone was in need and then to hear Beniot also thought of others by donating the money to help find a cure for this terrible disease

I think that we (global citizens) have lost touch of the fact that kindness is what makes the world go around

This is a great story thank you for sharing it

I wish peace and happiness to all take care

David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center