[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Help with choosing a new controller

Help with choosing a new controller

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

Help with choosing a new controller

Postby rick42 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 am

I am wanting to purchase a couple of new trigger type controllers , and need some help with choosing the right ones. I have a carerra track , analog. 10amp-30 volt adjustable power supply. I run different brands of 132 and 124 cars. I have read some about ohm's. But not a lot. I want a controller that is responsive throughout the entire controller. From barely moving the car , to full speed , and responsive to all positions in between. The ones that came with the tracks I have are pretty much full speed at any press of the controller , or close to it. I want a controller with more "CONTROL". I know there are controllers that have adjustment knobs on them , to adjust the ohm settings , and other adjustments Im sure. But I would rather get as close to what I am looking for without having to adjust it. Any suggestions ? Trigger type.

Thanks,
Rick
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Help with choosing a new controller

Postby Jesla » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 am

Parma 25ohm less than $50 will last for decades and replacements parts are readily available.
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 am

rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am

I agree with Harry, and infact run the low voltage model which is 10 to 14 volts, but that is my preference. PM Controllers if electronic with the bands are one way controllers . Either Positive or negative, so you need to ensure that you get the correct polarity for your track. I noticed you said you have a Carrera track but run an aftermarket power supply . So if using the Carrera power track section i assume you would be looking for the Carrera compatible controllers. If however you have changed to positive polarity which is what most wood and commercial tracks run then you would need the positive electronic controller. The old Parmas with the resistor will run on either positive or negative where the electronic ones only work the way they are designed

http://www.professormotor.com/Professor ... -s/397.htm

Good Luck , and You are correct that a good controller makes a world of difference.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:13 am

Go with the PM controller. If you let someone use your controller and they just run it half throttle all the time they will burn the Parma resistor up.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Frydaddy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm

I will second Harry's suggestion! After years of fighting Parma controllers, I bought 2 Professor Motor PMTR 2134 controllers and what a difference! I finally bought the remaining 2 and it's the best purchase I've made in my hobby in 20 years. I have 25+ Parma controllers and not 1 of them are as consistent and smooth as these, cut lap times down more than I thought possible.
Frydaddy

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby WB2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I’ll jump on the PM bandwagon, too.
Always used Parma until I picked up three used PM controllers. Much better, including the feel of the handle. These had XLR connectors. I like the simplicity of the connection but miss the ability to run without brakes.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 am

If you are using a controller with XLR connectors and don't use brakes there are several options. You could add a switch to the brake circuit to turn the brakes off or you could make an adapter using male and female XLR connectors that does not have a connection between the #3 pins. Some people have a switch to turn off the brakes at the driver's stations, if you have formal races on your track that can cause problems.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Mitch58 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 am

The point of the adjustable controller is that all of the cars vary so much. You might find that a controller works perfectly with one or two cars but not so much with the others. With an adjustable controller you can take a couple of practice laps and adjust the go and the stop for that car, then run the best race you can.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:23 am

Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

If the controller is a poor match for the car even a great driver is not going to do very well with the combination. Try driving the typical 1/32nd car with a 1 ohm controller for example. If you run 1/32nd cars you could cover everything fairly well with a couple of resistor controllers. If you run every sort of HO car you would probably need five controllers. One good electronic controller could cover for all of those.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am

If you wanting to compete at a high level by all means, if you are home racing not so much.......
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center