[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - ** New Product ** SCC Tire Gluing Tool

** New Product ** SCC Tire Gluing Tool

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

Re: ** New Product ** SCC Tire Gluing Tool

Postby CrockettNZ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:20 pm

now that is one super cool tool
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:03 am

Simply ingenious... you guys never cease to amaze me on the items you come up with to help make our hobby so much better!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:44 pm

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Tried my new SCC Tire Gluing Tool today on a set of 15x8 CBDesign wheels with NSR Ultragrip tires. Ultragrips are very soft and pliable, so rolling them up the conical surface of the tool is a bit of a challenge. I ended up using spray silicone on the cone and it worked very well; just slid straight up the cone and popped off onto the wheel. I use a silicone-based gasket adhesive to mount the tire to the wheel, so sliding the tire over silicone kept all the key chemicals in the same "family".

I use a smaller washer just in front of the retaining washer that comes with the kit and I find that the tire seats on the outer rim just a little bit better that way.

Since I'm using a silicone adhesive, I have a long working time, which, for me is a huge plus since it lets me remove the glued wheels/tires from the tool and mount the pair on an axle with bushings, which, in turn, allows me to roll the pair on a nice flat surface so that I can feel comfortable with the tire seating on the wheels.

I also put the wheels/tires-axle with bushings assembly on my Tire Razor and turn it slowly by hand to be sure that the tire is sitting squarely on the wheel [how many of you have had tires that seated just a little out of perfectly square on the wheels? When you true them, they look smooth, but when you look at them from the front, there's some "wobble" in the contact patch. I know, from experience, that tires with a wobbly contact patch are not fast!].

Probably the thing that I like most about the tool is that you can now see the adhesive on the wheel before you mount the tire. That gives you the confidence to know that you will have a good gasket seal when the units dry up. Using a toothpick just doesn't let you know that; it's little hit-or-miss. I slightly over-apply the adhesive and then use a Q-tip to wipe the excess off the rib and the inside and outside faces of the wheel before I put the wheel mounting unit into the tire ramp cone.

A great tool from SCC (with silent, telepathic input from Dennis)!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Sort of an obvious question; but what about build up of adhesive transferred onto the inside of the tool? Particularly in the case of CA, it seems this could be a problem in cleaning it from the inside square shoulder where the wall of the cylinder meets the flat body of the tool.

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:52 pm

"Sort of an obvious question; but what about build up of adhesive transferred onto the inside of the tool? Particularly in the case of CA, it seems this could be a problem in cleaning it from the inside square shoulder where the wall of the cylinder meets the flat body of the tool."

Great question - thank you for posting it.

If you are using a silicone adhesive (or other long setting adhesive), you can easily wipe any excess adhesive from the inside and outside of the tool before it sets up. If you miss some (or forget to clean it), you can peel the silicone off the tool once it sets up.

If you are using CA, ideally any excess would be wiped off before it sets up. If the CA sets up before you can wipe it off, a cloth with a little nail polish remover (acetone) will generally remove it. If this doesn't work, simply soak the tool in some acetone to loosen/remove the CA.

Some additional information about the tool...

We won't say it is impossible but it is highly unlikely a 1:32 scale wheel, when positioned properly on the axle as shown in the video, will ever come in contact with the inside "flat body" of the tool. In the event it does and some adhesive is transferred to the inside "flat body", it can be cleaned as described above depending on the type of adhesive you are using.

:text-thankyouyellow:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:07 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby McLiams » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:33 am

McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby etxfisher49 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:53 pm

I reacd through the other comments ( I dont think I missed any reference)
Will this be available to work on tires / wheels for 1/8 axles and old wheels ?
etxfisher49

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 pm

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby dayble » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Has anyone tried the flowable Permatex Windshield & Glass Sealant #81730 (old # 65AR) for gluing the slip on silicones to aluminum with good results?

The SCC video while very well done does not address using the tools for wheels with protruding hubs. Have you done that and is the wax paper needed in that case?

The silicone spray sounds interesting as long as it is compatible and may also help with the cleaning of the tool if applied to the inside, if any non compatible adhesive were to get in there.
dayble

Postby SlotCarCorner » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello Dave,

We can't comment on the windshield adhesive as we have never tried it. Perhaps someone else who has can pipe in.

Wheels with protruding hubs are no problem - several customers asked us about this so we added a question/answer on this subject to the FAQ section at the bottom of the product page. We have copied it below.

"Q)   The how-to video shows the SCC Tire Gluing Tool being used with a hubless wheel.  Can the tool be used with wheels that have protruding hubs?
A)   Yes - simply rotate the wheel 180 degrees so the back side of the wheel with the protruding hub is mounted on the axle facing toward the inside of the tool."

If you're using superglue (or any other fast setting glue), we recommend using the wax paper. Other adhesives with longer working times don't require the wax paper as you can easily wipe away any excess adhesive that might work its way between the wheel and fender washer before the adhesive sets up.

:text-thankyouyellow:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Billy boy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Just used this tool today. Slick! Worked like a charm. Not messy at all. Not a spec of glue on my fingers.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center