[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Items - SCC Scratchbuilding Section

New Items - SCC Scratchbuilding Section

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

New Items - SCC Scratchbuilding Section

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Re: New Items - SCC Scratchbuilding Section

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 01, 2016 9:14 am

Well done guys. This section just keeps getting better.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 am

Good stuff there.
And as usual I am a day late and a dollar short.
I needed the pins and ordered them about a month ago.
And yes I paid more than $9.99 for them.
Glad to see you are keeping on top of things , its great to see that you are
filling the needs for us scratchbuilders, or attempt scratch builders in my case.
Well done SCC.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby mattb » Sun May 01, 2016 11:08 am

Been looking for a ceramic jig, so that is good timing. Anybody know what kind of material the pins are made from?
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:25 am

Way to go guys. I wondered how long it would take before one of the slot car shops started supplying honeycomb boards. I considered selling them at one point and managed to find them for a dollar or two a piece. The only trouble was that I needed to buy 1000 to get them at that profitable price point.

Cheers.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sun May 01, 2016 11:38 am

they are steel Matt, the only draw back, because just being near liquid flux makes them rust. I keep them in a pill bottle with WD40 just to minimize the deterioration. They are however worth having because of the taper, because these honey comb style plates holes, are not exactly straight with the center line.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby DManley » Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Cool stuff! I just placed an order a week or so ago for a Tire Razor, some cars and several Paul Gage tires. Now that I know how the XPG compound works on the track, I am going to order a lot more for my other cars. I appreciated the excellent service, and I also want to say thanks for supporting the tracks and racing the way you do. I can't get out to any real races at this point in my life, but when I can again, I plan to hit Cloverleaf and/or Lightning. For right now, home racing it my focus. I just got drawn into the "Brass Am" threads, so I am going to need a couple of extra scratchbuilding items.

I do have two stupid questions, though...

Stupid question #1; Has anybody run the Sloting guide through an Artin R1 curve? The big, stock Carrera guides fly right through without binding, but they are hard to marshal back into the slot, especially in the inside lane. (No problem, just stick the car in past the turn.) I am wondering how much bigger the Sloting guideis, if it needs to be trimmed to make the radius, and if it is narrow enough to handle the Artin slot. If nobody knows, I will get one, trim it up and post the results.

Stupid question #2; How flat are the building boards I can get one up here, but it has little hills and valleys every couple of inches across the board, and they are about 3/16" deep. That will make it almost impossible to make a straight chassis, or to aligh anything correctly. I think the board will get used just as often to line things up for repairs, as it will to build new chassis. (This is a reflection on my driving more than anything!) If your board has the flat style surface, I will be grabbing one quickly.

Thanks again,
Dave
DManley

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sun May 01, 2016 1:34 pm

Dave,
you are correct about the unevenness, but if you use a flat piece of brass or any metal under your work that spans the high points you can live with it. I took a couple of my boards into work and had a tool maker run them through a water plainer to level the surface. Ive taken one of them back twice now to resurface and remove the burn marks. These will also happen if using a torch to solder.

the board pictured is not one of the ones you or I are referring to, it is pretty straight, I have this one too.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby mattb » Sun May 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info Mark, probably I need the pins, too. I use a lot of acid and the soldering surface gets pretty messy. I currently have a setup block made out of ceramic? plaster?, not sure but it provides a good work surface. I have a grid drawn out on it, but the only way to hold stuff on it is to use big clamps that work like clothes pins, you know, just squeeze and they open up. Takes perfect alignment before you clamp your work.
This new board should be great to make alignment correct and not to have parts move slightly and discover that after it is soldered!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sun May 01, 2016 5:45 pm

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby DManley » Sun May 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks! I just grabbed my calipers. The Carrera guide is .076" thick and 1.24" long, so it should work just fine. If the extra .08" is a problem, I'll just trim it. When I get them, I'll run one through the slot just to make sure.
DManley

Postby dreinecke » Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks for the update SCC!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby mattb » Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

My new block and pins arrived today. It looks flat to me. I will make/find something that I can use to set it up off the work table by about 1 inch. I like to be able to clamp my work and need the block high enough to get a clamp under it. It will work fine. Thanks for the quick service.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed May 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello Matt,

Be very careful when clamping anything to the block. It's made from ceramic which could easily crack or shatter if too much clamping pressure is applied. Better to use the pins and rubber bands, thin wire, etc. to secure items to the board if necessary.

8-)
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Wed May 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Matt,
on my 2 smaller plates, I`ve used a 1/8' masonry bit and drilled a hole on each side, then cut 2 1/8' piano wire studs and gorilla glued the in place. Used a couple DuBro 1/8' collars to hold the brass channel against the chassis. Also cut a guide slot with the dremel carbide cutter in the drill press.

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Next

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center