Slot Car Motors Explained

Check here for new product updates and technical help.

Re: Slot Car Motors Explained

Postby slowdogracer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am

Great article. Being a returnee to the hobby, it provided a lot of useful info that I had not had before. For all the old timers I know it can be old hat but anytime information can be provided for us rookies or newbies, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.
slowdogracer

Postby carlosinseattle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Nice guide about motors. I like how you kept it clean and relevant to 1/32 slot cars.
carlosinseattle

Postby 32lbking » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I've been around a while and know some of that stuff. But it is really nice to have all of that info in one area. I hate to admit it, but my memory is getting really bad and I am finding myself having to reread things quite often. This will be a great help for me [if I can remember where I saw it when I need it] :angry-tappingfoot:
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GPCruisr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Great article! I just have one question that I have always struggled with. When speaking of gear ratios, and we mention low and high gear ratios, is a low number considered a low gear ratio or is it the other way around. In other words, between the two gear rations of 2.0 and 3.0, which is considered the 'low' gear ratio and which is considered the 'high' gear ratio. Sorry if this should be obvious, but it just hasn't been clear to me.

Thanks
GPCruisr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 pm

"High" gear ratios result in more top speed but usually sacrifice acceleration. "Low" gear ratios offer better acceleration but the trade-off is top speed. It can be confusing because a high gear ratio is lower numerically and a low gear ratio is higher numerically. In your example, a gear ratio of 2:1 would be higher and 3:1 would be lower (relative to one another).
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby indidragracer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 am

Hard to figure this out? Whait 'till i explane it :idea:
This is how gear ratio works; the 1st number tells you how many revolutions the motor have to do to make the wheels (the 2nd number) turn. So in a 3:1 ratio the motor spins 3 times and the wheels 1 time.
indidragracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Slot Car Corner News Center